Status: COMPLETED

Our Memories Blanket Us With Friends We Know

And The View Outside Is Sterile

Frank pulls up outside the Lake House. It's completely shut, empty. He runs across the gravel and patches of brown grass and unlocks the front door.

*~~~*

Gerard arrives at the Lake House and skids to a stop in the rain in front of the mailbox. He rummages around his glove compartment and scrambles for a pen.
" Gottcha. " He says. He feels under the passenger seat for a pad, knowing he'll find some sort of paper. But he doesn't.
There's no luck under the seat and he curses at himself and a knot balls up in his throat. He reaches over to the back seat, flustered, unsuccessfully finding a piece of paper. It's when the tears are almost flowing. Where he's on the verge of desperation, that he checks under his own seat.
His hands grasp a piece of something.
It's paper. He sits back up. But he's so flustered to get the letter to Frank that he drops his pen onto the gravel.
He scoops it up, lays the paper on his thigh and begins writing, desperately.

*~~~*

Frank runs up to the attic. Inside is the single box he stored there when he moved out. He tears the box open and rummages through it. In it is a bundle of Gerard's letters. He shuffles through them and finds the one he's looking for.
It's in Gerard's hand writing of course: 'LAST FEBRUARY -- I REMEMBER IT WAS VALENTINE'S DAY, BUT IT WAS REALLY WARM -- I WAS HAVING LUNCH OUTSIDE MY WORK. . .'
" Cartoon Network. " Frank reads aloud

*~~~*

Gerard finishes the note and jumps out of the car. He shoves it into the mailbox and raises the flag.
He stands there, clutching the box, the rain soaking his clothing. Looking at the grey box hoping the red flag goes down. Hoping that Frank stays.

*~~~*

Frank noticed that the flag is up on the mailbox. He runs over, reaches in and runs to his truck.He jumps into his truck and pulls away quickly from the Lake House. F
What Frank doesn't know is that it's Gerard's letter and he's thrown it on the passenger seat. No caring to read it.

*~~~~~~*
February 14, 2004.

Gerard's finishing his lunch in the park, not far from Cartoon network, on this unusually warm day. The coffee that he got on the way is done and he feels refreshed. Suddenly a sound boomed through the park. A bell toll. something to remind citizens that it's noon, and that whatever you are doing. . . you're late.
Gerard was surprised to see an old couple sitting on the grass, under the next tree,

" What’s with the damn weather? 60 degrees on Valentine’s Day? " Asked the old woman to her Husband

" It's global warming, love. " He replied with a smile.

Gerard got up and grinned to himself because it reminded him of his parents. And boy did Gerard miss them. He decided to sit closer to work's buildings, while still being at the park. That means he'll have time to bask in the sun the walking through the heavy traffic to get back to work.

*~~~~*

Frank can see the black and white building from inside his truck. CARTOON NETWORK is sprawled over the front.
He drives near the building and parks the car.
He get's out and begins jogging towards the closes park.