Status: COMPLETED

Our Memories Blanket Us With Friends We Know

And We Could Settle This Affair

Dozens of men are working at various places around the site. Frank's walking quickly, conferring with Mulhern, the Construction Foreman.

" I’d like to get the foundation for number 17 dug today." Said Frank.

Mulhern looks at him with barely-disguised contempt. " I know you’re kinda new here. "

" What? " Frank didn't want to be another 'young' worker. Frank was young but he knew his shit
.

" I can’t get to that at least ‘til next week. "

"Come on, Mulhern, that’s bullshit and you know it. Take Clemens and Rodriguez off roofing, George can run the backhoe they’re not using on fourteen, and grab four or five of the other guys sitting on their asses on seven and ten -- Pauli, Frank, Carlos, Danny, and what’s his name, the tall kid, Rafael. "

Mulhern blinks. " Yeah, yeah. Whatever then. " Then trots off holding his hard hat
.

Frank is the last man at work on the site at the end of the day. He hauls away some garbage and scrap.
He’s also about to throw out a couple of half-full cans of paint. He stops. And if as a light bulb flickes off in his head, loads it all in his truck with the three of them and drives off.

*~~~~*

Frank kneels on the jetty, applying a fresh coat of paint to the weather-beaten boards. When he's finished he's very pleased with the result. He begins to put his supplies away when behind him, a dog, a stray, trots up his drive way.
The dog looks at the jetty for a second, then walks right into it, into the fresh paint.

" Hey!" Yells Frank
Frank had accidentally left the door to the house open and the dog had ran and slips his way inside. Frank is about to follow when he stops suddenly.
On the floor going into the house is a trail of paw prints.

Frank races toward his kitchen and digges determinedly through his garbage. When he reached the bottom, he finally finds what he’s looking for: Gerard’s note. He stares at it.