Status: I update when I can write more chapters. I apologize to the people who enjoy this story if I don't update enough.

Don't You Ever Forget About Me

Chapter One

It was second grade, and it was during one of our many sleepovers. We had made a fort and were sitting in it, playing house with his stuffed animals.

"Welcome back honey! How was work?" I announced excitedly like I saw my mother do so many times when my dad got home. Except I didn't kiss Christian on the cheek, in my mind he still had cooties.

"It was okay. The boss-man said that if I didn't eat enough candy then I'd have to get fired." He sighed. He tasted candy as a job, and I was always the house-wife that stayed home and took care of the kids, a.k.a. the stuffed animals.

"Here, have some dinner. Then after that you can go to bed. I'm sure you're tired." I said, placing the plate of cookie sandwiches that his mom had prepared. They were just two chocolate chip cookies squished together with cream cheese in the middle.

"Thanks, Vicky." He said while stuffing his face with the cookies and trying his best to grin at me over the food.

"Christian and Victoria sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage!" We heard the taunting voice of Christian's older brother at the entrance to our fort.

"We don't kiss! He has cooties!" I yelled back, my voice thick with embarrassment.

"Me? No! You have cooties! I'd never kiss you!" He pouted, stuffing his face with more cookie sandwiches.

"Told you we'd get a reaction out of them." His brother snickered to whomever was with him as they walked away.
*~*~*~*~*
"What should I wear?" I asked my mother, excitement lacing my voice.

"Whatever you want, dear." She replied with an amused tone she knew annoyed me. But she also knew I was too excited to get mad.

I sighed in an happily exasperated way. "But it's my first school dance! Then in a week there's recognition and you're way better at picking out clothes!"

"When I was in 5th grade there were no dances or recognitions. You had to wait until high school for prom, homecoming, and graduation."

"I like the red dress." A voice came from behind my mom. She made room and I saw the dark-haired boy walk over to a rack and pull it out, handing it to me.

I took it and looked to my mom, holding it up to my body and tilting my head.

"Looks good." She smiled. "Lets go wait in the living room Christian, let her change."

"Okay, Mrs. Jasper." He flashed me a boyish smile as he left the closet. I began to blush but shook it off as I changed.

Soon enough I was walking down the stairs with my dress and my white flats on.

"Look at you, Vicky!" My dad gushed in that father-like way.

"Dad." I said, drawing out the 'a' and donning an embarrassed smile.

"Oh, hush. Now, go stand by the island, I want pictures." He waved the disposable camera. "You, too, Chris."

We walked over to the island that blocked off our entryway and posed for pictures.

After my dad got his pictures my mom took us to the dance. We said our thank-yous as we got out and she told us we'd be picked up by Chris's mom after. As she drove off we walked towards the school and followed the students into the gym. There we got a slice of pizza and a cup of punch each and walked around talking like it was a normal day.

After the dance was over we went home with Chris's mom, as promised, and she told me that after he had taken his shower he would come over.

When I walked in the door to my house my mom handed me my pajamas and said I should get in the shower.

By the time I had gotten out of the shower and dressed and walked into my room I heard The Nightmare Before Christmas playing and Christian was singing along to Jack's Lament. I held back a giggle as I thought of what to do.

"To a guy in Kentucky, I am 'Mr. Unlucky' and am known throughout England and France. And since I am dead, I can take off my head, to recite Shakespearean quotation. No animal nor man can scream like I can with the fury of my recitation. But who here would ever understand that the Pumpkin King with the skeleton grin would tire of the crown? If they only understood you'd give it all up if you only could...

"Oh, there's an empty place in my bones that calls out for something unknown. The fame and praise come year after year. Does nothing hold these empty tears?" Christian and Jack sang in sync. I snuck up behind him as I waited for Sally's line.

"Jack..." I said along with Sally. I giggled as I saw him jump. "I know how you feel..."

"Jeez, Victoria! You could try out for Jack's place, you really know how to scare people!" He exclaimed as he tried to catch his breath. I smiled and patted the space next to me as a way to non-verbally ask if he wanted to watch the movie with me for the millionth time. He sat and we continued to watch the movie, saying or singing along to the bits and pieces of the parts we knew best.