For Fair Love

seventeen

I try and get ready for Karen’s ranting as I enter the hallway leading to her office. A few doors down, I see the boys in a studio, chatting. I slowly walk by, hoping they won’t spot me. I enter Karen’s office. As usual, she’s on the phone. Once she hangs up and looks at me, I sheepishly smile.
“You wanted to see me?”
“What happened yesterday?” Karen asks.
“I really don’t know, but I’m sorry.”
She sighs, “It’s fine. We have bigger things to talk about.”
A little surprised at her calmness, I nod, agreeing.
“It’s concert week. You must know what that mean?” she asks me, sitting by her desk.
I hope it means a break for me.
“What does it mean?” I tip on my toes.
“You’ll be going on the road with them.”
My head drops off my shoulders.
“What?” I choke out.
“Don’t be shocked. Besides, it’s not something I decided—”
“What? What? No, I can’t do that.”
“Why not?”
“I… I can’t just leave my Grans…” I mumble.
Karen looks blankly at me for a long while before opening her mouth again.
“Millions of girls would kill for your position right now… and all you’re worried about is your Grans?”
My upper lip twitches.
“She’s all I have. I’m already far away as it is. You know, I wish it wasn’t like this. I wish you told me all of this stuff before dragging me here! But no, you keep surprising me with this news of ‘you have to do this’ and ‘you have to do that’. It’s hard for me. If there are millions of girls who want this, then give it to them. And I know what you’re going to say. Just save it,” I blab on.
Karen stands up, “Like I said, this wasn’t my decision. In fact, none of this was my decision. I’m just doing my job. Frankly, it’s time to do yours without complaint.”
She then shoots me a sarcastic smile and leaves her office. I sigh heavily and collapse in one of the chairs. I groan in my hands. Why me? I don’t want to be here…
“Chas?”
I look up to the door. Zayn stands there with his hands in his pockets. I try to give him a pleasant face, but my shoulders slouch and I go back to staring at my knees. Zayn walks next to me.
“What’s up? You’re bummed out about travelling?” he asks.
“Is it polite to say me being here is stupid?” I ask.
Zayn grins and sits across from me.
“Well, I would say it’s stupid. If you weren’t here, then we wouldn’t be talking. And if we don’t talk, I wouldn’t get to know you.”
I look away, “I’m not important. So, you wouldn’t need to…”
“Sure you are. How will I know if you enjoy macaroons if I never ask you?”
I give him a questioned look, “What?”
“I feel like eating some macaroons. Let’s go,” Zayn gets up, urging me to follow him.

He brings me to Hummingbird bakery, after disguising under some shades and caps.