Boyfriend of My Sister

Chapter 9

*The 8th month of Alice’s pregnancy*

An hour ago I finished my song about my love to Pierre up. I worked on it for days. Truly, I decided to make Pierre be able to read it. I just want him to know how I feel about him and what I feel about him. It’s gonna happen today. I hope it will pan out. I made up my mind that I will put the sheet of paper with the lyrics on his bedside table. I have some misgivings – what if will Ally read it? It doesn’t matter (yes it really does). Truly, Pierre falls out with Ally. I don’t know what’s happening but everytime I meet him, he’s so damn luckless and frustrated.

Today I pretended I’m sick to stay at home. It came out well. I’m expecting Pierre’s return in a while. I've prepared everything. I know there are some dubieties. Maybe he will bitch me out or beat me up, hard to say. But there IS one really important stuff – he’s gonna find out my love I feel for him. It’s a good advantage.

I heard a rustle of Pierre’s unlocking door. I swallowed thickly and got out of my bed. I’m tiptoeing to the hallway to see his reaction. Luckily, when he came in their bed room he didn’t close the door completely. There is one small cranny between the door and the wall. I’m approaching slowly to the bedroom’s door. I’m peeking through. Pierre came to the bedside table, taking the note. Shit, I’m nervous. He’s reading the song lyrics slowly. I named it – By my side.

Moments holding your hand,
Writing words in the sand,
When they wash away,
Something will stay,
You are always by my side.

Summer days will turn cold,
All the leaves fade to gold,
The season may change,
But one thing remains,
You are always by my side.

You hold me high up,
And see me through lows,
When I need someone,
I know where to go,
In my darkest hours,
You're the light that I follow,
You are always by my side.

Days may pass into years,
Things we know disappear,
We lose and we gain,
But one thing remains,
You are always by my side.

You were there to help me along
you give me love that makes me feel strong
you let me know just where I belong
You are always by my side.

As Pierre finished the reading I glimpsed a tear running down his cheek. The first teardrop started the huge waterfalls of crocodile tears. The tears are falling like rain. My eyes filled with tears, too. My ultimate plan was to come to him but I didn’t count on crying anymore. My only desire in this moment is to get away. I didn’t want him to see me in this moment. I got off the ground and took my jacket from the coat hook. I slammed the door and ran out of the house. Pierre noticed my leaving and looked back, sobbing. I don’t know what’s running in his mind now.

I came home after about 6 hours I spent outdoors. Many hours were spent with crying and cursing myself. I put my jacket off and decided to go right up to my room. But someone’s holding of my shoulder stopped me. I swallowed thickly and looked at my right shoulder. As I saw man's hand and the wedding ring I realized it was Pierre. Damn. I turned back and looked at him. “Anything happened?” I asked, as if nothing happened but my tearful eyes were patent, unfortunately. “I wanna talk to you.” He said sort of seriously. “But I have to-“ “David.” He interrupted me. “Where were you for six hours? I was worried about you.” He said and looked into me eyes more seriously. “Come on.” He commanded and took me by my hand to their bedroom. Truth be told, I’m damn afraid and nervous. Now I’m expecting talking-to.

He slammed the door behind us. “Take a seat here.” He said and sat, too, taking the lyrics. I knew it was bad. I sighed nervously. “David, who is the song about? I need clarification.” He asked and looked into my eyes. “Pierre, don’t make it even harder than it is.” I said, looking at my shaking hands. I was sure Pierre knew who the song is about. I glimpsed Pierre hand going on the back of my right hand. “The lyrics… is the most beautiful and emotional thing I’ve ever read. So many beautiful words in just a few verses.” Pierre had to take a breath and snivel before continuing but he’s still holding my hand and fondling it. “Davie, I like you and don’t know what to do now. It’s so damned situation, just…I want you to know I AM by your side, everytime.” He said and tried to smile but vainly. “I mean tell you something, Pierre. It’s an agonizing feeling.” I stood up and continued: “You don’t understand it. I’d better get away from this house to not see you because it tears me up inside. I have NEVER envied my sister but now I do. I envy her, because she may have you and I’m so damn stupid that I thought I had high hopes but I didn’t. To have you and be able to kiss you, to touch is just wishful thinking and flash in the pan!“ I said aloud, crying, and went away from his bed room. “While there’s life, there’s hope. David, wait!” I heard his words from behind the vigorous closed bedroom’s door. I ran up to my room and cried all night long again.

********

It’s Saturday - 5 days since my last interview with Pierre and a few days before Alice’s giving birth. I’m passing by the door of Pierre’s and Alice’s bedchamber. I overheard some loud talk-out. “Are you crazy, Alice? That’s so selfish!” Pierre screamed and I tensed. I looked around if mum is or isn’t looking at me. I’m peeking through a cranny to the bedroom and listening. “The reason why we’re fighting is my BROTHER! Your in-law! His only desire is to fall us apart! To divide us! But you don’t understand it! HE is the why we don’t get along well!” “Alice, don’t scream, okay? And don’t allude David in our dispute! He has NOTHING to do with it!” Pierre’s screaming his head off. Maybe it’d be better to go away and not listen their hassle. Alice sat on the bed. “Don’t raise your voice at me.” She said imploringly but her voice was still irritating. “Alice, listen to me, okay? I don’t know what’s happening but something is wron-“ “David is the third and spoils our wedlock and-“ “Alice stop butting in, okay? Let me finish the talking, yes?” Pierre said somewhat calmly and continued: “I like your brother. I do very very much and you can’t change it. He’s not the third so stop saying these bullshits about me being in relationship with him, okay?! Do you get it? I like him but that’s all! And I’m sick, SICK of your stupid theories like ‘I saw you kissing him, did you fuck him yesterday and blah, blah, blah’.” He pretended her voice in these two sentences. He said it pretty loud, I have to say and truly, the sentence that he likes me and nothing more disappointed me. “It’s gonna be okay with the baby.” She said. “Hah, again. It was your plan! I told you I don’t want to have a baby so early! You did it on purpose.” He opposed. “On purpose? Sorry but without your dick I couldn’t become pregnant. “And what was I supposed to do, you Mrs. Smart? You almost constrained me!” He said and went to the door. I hid briskly around the corner. He came out and luckily, didn’t notice me.
Their disagreements and quarrels are persisting all week long.