Sequel: Painting Flowers

Never Look Back

Circles

Alex’s POV
Monday morning came rolling by and I had my apology all conjured up in my head, it was a huge risk and one that I would never dare to make but Alyssa meant everything to me and I don’t think I could bare not being with her anymore. I couldn’t decide if this was the dumbest mistake I was ever going to make or the one that just might save my life, I was ready for both.
I hadn’t talked to Alyssa since the party on Friday and I honestly couldn’t bare to face her until I spoke my mind. I silently hummed lyrics in my head in an attempt to calm my nerves, this would make or break me. I glanced nervously at the clock, it would be five minutes until lunch. Five minutes until the fate of my reputation that took me years to build up would be put on the line. I felt everyone staring at me even though I knew no one was paying any attention to me, I’ve never been this nervous before a show but for some reason Alyssa always had the power to take my breath away and leave me begging for air.
My thoughts were interrupted by the screeching of the class bell, my heart jumped in protest for what I was about to do but I couldn’t stop, I had to do this.
I headed for my locker quick and picked up my guitar, clutching it so tight my knuckles turned white. My mouth grew dry and I debated turning around but by now I was already at the lunchroom doors and people were looking at me funny. I took a deep breath and stepped inside, looking over at Rian for the cue. He nodded, smiled and brought the microphone to his lips.

Alyssa’s POV
I nibbled on my lip as I studied the top of the lunch table, the gray surface distracting me from what I knew I would face. Alex.
Kara settled down next to me, rubbing my back as she made small talk to Jack about the Chem. Homework.
All of a sudden a voice was booming through the microphone by the side of the lunchroom where teachers would tell everyone about upcoming events and sports games to pass the time.
“Oh my God.” I heard Kara say and I turned to face the voice. I didn’t know Rian wasn’t sitting with us until I saw him up on the makeshift stage, he had the microphone up to his lips, smiling widely.
“Attention students! ATTENTION!” Rian yelled into the mic. “Hey shut up over there!” Kara’s palm hit her head and she groaned.
“What does he think he’s doing?”
He cleared his throat before continuing, having the complete attention of the lunchroom. It was unusual to hear the lunchroom dead quiet when it is normally thought of as being the loudest place in the building.
“If everyone could advert their attention to the doors right over there.” Rian pointed to the entrance. “That’d be great.”
My eyes followed his finger and I say none other than Alexander Gaskarth standing at the door, guitar in hand. He looked right at me.

Alex’s POV
I held my breath as everyone’s eyes hit mine, silence filling the air, waiting for my move. There was definitely no turning back now. This was such a dumb idea.
I began strumming the introduction to the new song I had written just for her. No one knew I had ever wrote it. I guess they’d figure it out now.

Inquisitive and thoughtful
She was the challenge
He’d been waiting for
A reminder that creativity
Runs deep like secrets
Dark eyed dreamers
They were a dangerous pair
Q next to U scribbled out on paper
They stop They go They’re done

Go back to the place we knew before
Retrace our steps to the basement door
I’ll ask you if the rain still makes you smile
Like so much time that we spend in the fall
Put color on our cheeks while the air turned cold
Preceding what became our bitter end

Round in Circles let’s start over
Round in circles let’s start over

By now I was singing right next to Alyssa, sitting on top of the table she sat at, staring into her hazel eyes. She looked a mixture of terrified, fascinated, furious and elated.
“Alex what are you doing.” She whispered, her eyes dropping to the table once I had finished. I could already hear the raising whispers around me.
“Alyssa please give me another chance to call you mine, I know what I did was wrong and I want to be there for you when you need me. I know I can be good for you and we can make this work. I love you more than I thought possible and I need you, I can’t go on without you it’s killing me.”
“Alex stop,” she said shaking her head. “I’m tired of giving you chances and listening to your apologies, we’re done.”
She stood up to go and I could feel my heart fall into my stomach, facing the worst fear I never thought possible.
“Alyssa I’m begging you! Please don’t do this! I love you and I can’t be with anyone else, what I said was a mistake! I panicked and now that I thought about it and realized my mistake I’m ready. I want you. I want us,” I whispered.
“I’m sorry Alex.” With that she turned back around and felt the lunchroom, eyes following her until she disappeared. Then, they turned to me. All I could do in response was cry.