Status: In Progress

The New Face of Failure

Epilogue

THREE MONTHS LATER
What I really want to do with my life – what I want to do for a living is – I want to be with your daughter. I’m good at it. ~ Say Anything

“PATRICK!”

She opened her eyes slowly, letting them adjust to the small streak of light that had slipped through the curtains of the bunk. She yawned and sat up on her elbows, looking over at Patrick who was face down on his pillow passed out. She smiled at him and nudged him lightly. “Baby, Pete is calling for you.”

Patrick moaned, stirring slightly. “Tell him my throat hurts,” he said into his pillow.

Harper frowned. “It does?”

Patrick looked up at her and blinked a few times. “No, but maybe then he’d let me sleep.”

Harper shook her head. “Come on, don’t you have some interviews to do today? Plus the meet and greet.”

“Yeah, but sleep sounds so lovely right now.”

“You can take a nap later?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I can.” He strained his neck to kiss her lips. “Good morning.”

She smiled again. “Morning.”

He eased out of his bunk and she followed suit. They walked out into the small living area of the tour bus where Pete, Andy and Joe were playing a video game.

“Dude, get some clothes on. Charlie will be here in ten and we have to look “photo ready”,” Pete said, then smiling at Harper added, “Morning Harper.”

“Morning, got another controller?”

Joe handed her his. “Here, I have to call Cass anyway.” She took his controller and sat down next to Pete.

She started shooting up the other team with her battle rifle as Pete shouted obscenities as he died over and over again.

“Dammit, Harper, how are you so good at this?”

“I’m not actually that good, you just really suck,” she joked, winking at Pete. He narrowed his eyes at her but was smiling.

“Harper Lee, I’m so glad you are here you know that?”

“Really? I thought you guys would have been tired of me by now.”

“Patrick we’re tired of, but you, nah…” Andy replied. “Speaking of which, how’s your voice?”

“Hey! You can’t go replacing me with my girlfriend!” Patrick exclaimed as he came walking out of the back area, shaking some of the remaining wetness from his hair.

“Hey, you’re outvoted, ain’t nothing you can do about it, bud,” Andy laughed.

Patrick frowned and stuck out his lower lip.

“Oh, hush, they aren’t going to get rid of you,” Harper said, standing up and handing him her controller. “I’m going to give my parents a call.”

He kissed her cheek and she went into the back room to call her parents. It was the one condition (besides a separate bunk, which she never adhered to) that they requested; that she call them at least three times a day – once in the morning, once midday and once before bed, no matter the time. Harper thought it was a pretty easy agreement to be able to spend the entire summer with Patrick traveling all over the country. As the days wore on, she started feeling the husk of her former child-like self come off and this new independent woman come forth. After everything she had been through the past year, she knew that she could never return to the life that she once lived because the person she was now didn’t fit that life anymore.

“Hey mom,” she said into the phone. “Yeah, things are going well. Only a few more dates left…. Where are we? Um, I believe we are in Miami now…. Yes, I’ll bring you back a mug…. And one for dad too… Yes, I already sent my next chapter to the publisher… okay, I know. I love you too. I’ll talk to you in a few hours. Okay, bye.”

She hung up and headed back into the main living area of the tour bus. The guys were just finishing up their game and Charlie had come in, spouting off their day of activities before show time. Patrick noticed that she had come back into the room and got up and went over to her. “How’s everything?” he asked her quietly.

“Good, mom just requested her obligatory mug, and wanted to make sure I’m keeping up with my deadline.”

Patrick smiled. “Good. I’m glad… So, we have an interview event thingy in about thirty minutes we’re heading to, do you want to come?”

Harper shook her head. “Nah, I want to shower. I’ll just wait until you get back, and maybe drag Brian out with me to explore Miami a little bit.”

Patrick nodded. “That sounds good. I’ll see you when I get back?”

“Of course! You know I wouldn’t miss hearing you sing for anything.”

He pulled her close and kissed her softly on the lips. “I love you Harper.”

“I love you too,” she whispered.

“And I love lamp!” Joe shouted, breaking their embrace. “Now, can we please stop the gushy stuff, I’m feeling down missing my own girlfriend!”

They laughed. “Sure Joe, anything for you man,” Patrick said.

He gave Harper one last loving look and hand squeeze before following the other guys out of the bus.

Harper watched them go and just as they left, her phone started ringing. “Mae, hello!” she exclaimed, as she realized it was her literary agent. “Oh, really? Okay, let’s talk about that then…” and so she was off, handling her own business as Patrick handled his. It wasn’t how she expected to spend her first summer back from college, but she knew now that she didn’t want to spend it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
short and sweet just to wrap up Harper and Patrick's story line.

Thank you all for sticking with me on this one. I am glad so many of you enjoyed it!!!