Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 16

“What the hell’s going on in there?” Jim shouted as he slammed the door open into our corridor, “You do realise you were meant to be on stage about ten minutes ago?”
“Oh man, sorry Jim – I completely lost track of the time.” Aaron replied.
“Lucky for you, the sound tech is busy keeping the masses entertained with a shit load of tunes,” Jim shot back, “but it won’t be long until they start getting pissed off. What’s happened anyway?”
“Oh, nothing really mate, just something that needed sorting.” Aaron answered again.
“And is it?”
“Yes, I promise. Scouts honour,” Aaron replied making the appropriate salute, “best friends forever again now.”
“And why are you not in the pit Beatrice?” Jim asked me this time, clearly irritated. I immediately felt awful for upsetting him and could feel my throat get tight. I couldn’t answer.
“It’s my fault,” Aaron answered, saving me from making a blubbering fool out of myself, “I needed to talk to her urgently and when Jack came in,” he looked to Jack who looked away childishly, “I asked her not to leave.”
Jim’s look of irritation faded as he looked straight at me.
“Right, okay,” Jim said, walking up to me and putting his arm around my shoulders, “Bea, are you okay love?”
“I’m fine Jim, thanks. I’m so sorry; this won’t happen again.”
Jim gave me a fatherly squeeze and I instantly knew there was no beef between us.
“Right, let’s be havin’ ya then you three, we’ve got a show to put on.”
Aaron, Jack and I filed out behind Jim, each ready to take our respective positions for the gig. Aaron pulled me back just as we were about to go our separate ways.
“I love you Bea,” he whispered into my ear.
“Love you too,” I replied.