Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 19

“Do you remember what happened?” Aaron asked as he tucked me into my bunk.
“I wish I didn’t,” I replied truthfully as images of Jack and what he did to me flashed through my mind.
“Look, I know the last thing you will want to do tomorrow is work,” Aaron continued, “and I have a feeling the last place you’ll want to be is on the bus. If you can just bear with it for tonight, whilst we travel, I’ll sort a nice hotel or apartment in Hamburg tomorrow when we get there.”
“Hamburg?” I asked sleepily, “Another place I’ve never been.”
“Do you still even want to be here?” he asked, a hint of sadness tainting his tone.
“Honey, as long as I am with you that’s all that matters,” I replied. One little vampire bite wouldn’t tear this girl away. “Have you heard from Jack?”
“I have, whilst the Doctor was discharging you earlier.”
“And?”
“And I told him he is no longer a member of Shout the Call,” Aaron answered firmly. “What he did was evil; he could have killed you.”
“Actually, that’s what I’ve been meaning to ask,” I said, casting my mind to all the films I had seen, the general rule of thumb being that unless the vampire that bit you gave you their own blood, you had no chance. “How am I not dead Aaron? Why am I still here? Am I immortal now?”
Aaron looked down at his hands. His thumbs were twiddling nervously.
“I am, aren’t I?” I went on, “answer me honey.”
“No,” Aaron replied shortly, “You were given a blood transfusion; standard practice if you lose a lot of the red stuff.”
I looked at him questionably.
“Are you telling me the truth?” I asked, noting how on edge he seemed.
“I am, honestly,” he replied, looking straight at me; his face all serious.
“About Jack,” I said and paused, feeling awkward, “you can’t get rid of him, he’s a founding member of the band.”
“For fuck sake, Bea, not this again!” Aaron snapped, “The guy seriously crossed the line this time round. He doesn’t deserve any more chances and certainly any more bloody sympathy, from you especially.”
I took his hands in mine.
“I know that honey and what he did was completely, utterly wrong but I’m pretty sure he knows that and what he could lose. He wouldn’t dare to cross me again. Just speak to him, let him know exactly how you feel and give him his final warning. I know I sound like a broken record honey, but you’ve been through too much to just give up.”
Aaron shook his head in disbelief.
“You honestly think that’s wise?” he asked.
“Maybe, maybe not; all I know is that you’re such an amazing band and I can’t really imagine it without Jack, no matter what he’s done to me.”
“Are you absolutely sure about this?” Aaron asked, looking utterly torn, “it means he’ll be back on the bus let alone sharing the stage with us.”
“I’m aware of that,” I said, nodding.
“And you know we won’t be able to stay in hotels and apartments all that much? We don’t make enough money for that yet.”
“Yes, I’m aware of that too.” My eyes began to glaze over and it took all my effort to keep my lids open.
“You’re tired,” Aaron stated, quite obviously.
“Very. Now get on the phone and get this shit sorted. Like I said before, you’ll regret it if you don’t.”
He nodded reluctantly and kissed my forehead.
“But,” I added as an afterthought, “don’t make it easy for him, make him grovel – give him hell!”