Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 20

I woke to the muffled sound of Aaron and Jim talking outside the bus and gentle tapping on my left hand. As I came to, I saw Jack sitting on the side of my bunk. I recoiled as he touched my arm, hoping that Aaron would somehow telepathically sense I was unhappy with my visitor; hoping that he would kick the door down and save me like some valiant knight in shining armour. My fear swiftly turned to anger.
“Hello Jack,” I said firmly.
“Hi Bea. So, I just wanted to apologise for well, you know,” Jack stammered awkwardly.
“No, I don’t know,” I replied, “Please enlighten me.” Although I really didn’t want to get into any kind of in depth conversation with him, I was angry and I wanted to see him squirm.
“What I did was despicable; completely and utterly wrong.” Jack went on.
“Yes it was.”
“And I am not asking for your forgiveness…”
“Good!” I interrupted.
“I just wanted you to know that I really am so sorry Bea; I don’t know what came over me.”
“You were jealous, Jack; I think that’s what did it.” I said sarcastically. Jack looked down at his hands, knowing full well I was right.
“That’d be it, yes. You’re a great girl and Aaron obviously thinks the world of you and I am so sorry.”
“Apology accepted,” I said, putting my hands over his, “but you know me and Aaron are very much together and as much as I will try to keep myself in check when it comes to public displays of affection, it will be impossible to completely avoid. Do you understand?”
“I do,” he replied, nodding, “I understand very well but I have to tell you this too; I loved Aaron with every fibre of my being. I would have done absolutely anything and everything for him, so believe me when I say I know how much you love him.”
“That’s why I need you to banish your jealousy to the back of your mind,” I said sympathetically, “this is how it is now.”
“I know that Bea. You know, I’m amazed Aaron actually phoned me and even more amazed that he’s let me back in the band. He told me it was you who changed his mind and I told him he had a very special girl in you. Thank you; I mean that, truly.”
I pulled Jack into a hug.
“I know you do,” I said, “and anyhow, what would the band be without you?”
Jack smiled and nodded as he pulled out of the hug.
“Just one last thing,” I added, stretching my tired, aching muscles, “don’t ever try anything like that again, okay?”
Jack gave a Scout’s salute and headed for the door.

******

“Hey honey,” Aaron greeted as I alighted the empty tour bus for some much needed fresh air.
“Hey,” I replied sleepily. He pulled me into his all encompassing embrace and kissed my nose.
“So, Jack spoke to you huh?” Aaron asked as he pulled away.
“He did.”
“Did everything go okay?”
“It was fine.” I answered, smiling at him reassuringly.
“So, you slept all the way to Hamburg honey,” Aaron said, thankfully changing the subject, “damn, you must have been really tired.”
I looked around me, bewildered to find we had most definitely relocated. Not only were we in a different country, according to Aaron’s phone screen, it was two thirty pm. I obviously must have needed the rest.
“Now look,” Aaron went on, “me and Jim, well, we’ve come to a mutual decision – you’re not working tonight.”
“But,” I tried, yet failed, to interrupt.
“No you don’t,” he went on, waving his right index finger at me. “You, my dear, are not coming to work tonight. You’ve been through enough over these last few days. As promised, I booked a lovely hotel. This evening, our home will be the Hotel Am Dammtor. Our room will be ready at four and we’ll be staying there tonight and tomorrow night too because we’re doing a signing session and acoustic set at Thomas Read Irish Pub in Reeperbahn tomorrow afternoon.”
“A signing session; since when?” I asked, “I didn’t have that down on the itinerary Jim gave me.”
“That’s because it wasn’t on there, Bea. We only found out about it last night. We had an email from the guy who runs Logo; the place we’re playing tonight. He had a load of fans wanting ‘meet and greet’ tickets or but told them it wasn’t something they do. He put forward the idea to Jim, which he jumped at. Let’s just say, we’ll make pretty much the same amount of money tomorrow, for a few hours work than we do in two gigs. It’s going to be an ‘up close and personal’ thing and about two hundred fans have paid for the privilege.”
“So, I’m not the only woman in history that wants your body. You’ll be fighting them off with a stick!”
“It’s not just women you know; we do have male fans too, Bea.” Aaron said, jumping straight on the defence.
“Honey, I’m just kidding.”
“Oh right,” he replied, laughing awkwardly, “I knew that.”
“So, I’m being banished to a hotel room for the night then?”
“Not just any room, Bea. It’s a five star establishment, I have you know.” He answered, unable to pull back the giggle escaping his mouth.
“Five star eh? Well, I have nothing to complain about then, have I.”
“Exactly!” Aaron replied, looking more than a little pleased with himself.
“Well thank you honey, I really appreciate it but it kind of sucks too,” I said, immediately noticing the look of disappointment on his face, “I really wanted to see you tonight at Logo; it has quite the reputation. It’s supposed to be renowned for putting on some amazing rock acts.”
Aaron looked dumbfounded; how did I know. Of course, it’s all part and parcel of doing what I do. I have to do my research.
“Yeah, it is,” Aaron said, “but don’t you think you need to just relax tonight? You have the comfort of a king size bed, which of course, I’ll be joining you in after the gig.”
I looked at Aaron with my best ‘puppy-dog’ eyes and pouted like my life depended on it.
“Don’t,” Aaron said.
“What?”
“Don’t do that,” he replied.
“Whatever could you mean?” I asked again, out-pouting my previous attempt.
“That thing,” he replied, pointing at my face and circling his finger in front of me.
“What, this?” I asked, demonstrating ‘the face’ again.
“Okay, okay; will you come to Logo tonight?”
“Hallelujah!” I replied, raising my hands to the sky, “You got it in one.” I rolled my eyes and giggled.
“Well you’re not working if you do.”
“That’s just perfect by me.”
“So, you’re just going to come and watch us play?” Aaron asked, looking more confused by the second. Did he think I only ever went to gigs if I got a photo pass?
“Yup,” I answered, “in fact, I could think of nothing better, especially when you walk off stage just to come and see me. I’m sure that would make all the girls green with envy.”
Aaron tipped his head back and laughed before quickly turning serious.
“Every song tonight, Bea; I’ll sing every one for you, and yes, you’re right – I will sprint off that stage, straight to you and pull you into a hot, sweaty hug. How very Mills and Boon,” he said as he broke down into giggles as he acted out exactly what he was going to do to me before whispering breathlessly into my ear, “and then, I will drag you backstage, into the bathroom, where I will have a quick shower – you might even want to join me. We’ll go out and hit the bars then go back to the hotel and show that king size bed a thing or two. How does that sound?”
My skin prickled with goosebumps as he trailed light kisses down my neck and onto my clavicle.
“Perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
BRAD, and anyone else who is reading too; I hope you've enjoyed the updates so far. Now I'm off to try and get chapter 21 typed up. I want to publish this book in the next month or so, so need to really knuckle down.