Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 23

Aaron was sat at the dresser and looked to be writing a note of some sort. I rubbed my eyes and checked the time; eleven forty seven. By anyone’s standard, that was a huge lie in but then, the last twenty four hours had been eventful to say the least. I slowly got up out of bed, yawning as I stretched out my limbs and padded over the soft, shag pile to him.

“Hey,” I said sleepily.

“Hey you; someone slept well didn’t they? A war wouldn’t have woke you.”

“I was snoring, wasn’t I?” I knew I must have been because my mouth felt dry.

“You really were but it was cute, you know.”

Now there was a word I would never have associated with my snoring; sometimes it’s that loud that it wakes me. Aaron was obviously just trying to be kind.

“What are you writing?”
“Well, at first I started to write you a note,” Aaron answered, “just a quick one to say that I was popping out to get some proper coffee. I can’t stand the shit you get in hotel rooms. You would think somewhere like this would prioritise good coffee. And that we had missed breakfast. I mean, they only serve between seven and nine. How stupid is that?”

I smiled, nodding in silent agreement.

“But then I got a little waylaid,” he went on, “you see, I got this idea for a new song and I had to get it down on paper before I lost it.”

“Ooh, can I have a look?” I asked, snatching at the hotel’s logo headed paper.

“Hell no!” he shot back.

“Oh, come on please,” I begged.

“Bea, hasn’t a rock star ever told you why they don’t share their work with anyone until they’re done with it?”

“Um, no – I don’t believe I’ve ever had the pleasure.”

Aaron shook his head, that all too familiar, sexy smirk breaking across his face.

“When will I get to have a look then?” I asked, happily frustrated.

“Who says you’ll ever need to?” Aaron replied, “You’ll be hearing it soon enough.”

“You wrote it for me? You wrote me a song?”

“Maybe,” Aaron answered.

“That’s a yes then?"

“Maybe,”

“Jesus Christ, Aaron; stop being a dick.”

He laughed out loud, folded the paper and slipped it into his back pocket.

“I bet you’re like this at Christmas right?” He asked but went on anyway, not waiting for my answer, “I imagine you just keep going on and on at someone until they break and tell you what your gift is.”

I let out a theatrical gasp. “Well, maybe I do get a bit excited. Christmas is my favourite time of year.”

“And I guess that’s because you have so many gifts to open?”

“Can you tell me anyone who doesn’t like receiving gifts?” I asked. Aaron couldn’t answer that.

“Exactly,” I went on.

“So, what’s your typical Christmas?” he asked.

I felt my throat tighten up and my eyes brimmed with tears.

“Oh God,” Aaron said, “I’m sorry if I’ve hit a raw nerve. You don’t need to tell me anything; the last thing I want to do is hurt you.”

The tears flooded from my eyes and my breath became short.

“It’s okay,” I said between sobs, my voice trembling, “don’t be silly. It’s nothing.”

I sank into his chest breathing in his scent of just-washed clothes and heady, spicy cologne. I didn’t want to pull away and I didn’t want to talk.

“The good news is, they’re not dead,” I said bluntly and I felt Aaron relax his posture; I had obviously answered his unspoken question. “They separated ten years back, that’s all.”

“That’s all! That’s a pretty big deal you know honey.”

“Well, yeah – I suppose it is really. I’m getting used to it now though, kind of.”

Aaron stroked my hair and with each touch, I felt I could give a little more away.

“I mean, it’s silly really. I’m a grown woman. I have my own place. I’m completely independent. It hurts though, to think that they’ll never be together as a couple again.”

“It’s not silly at all,” Aaron said, “it would be unnatural of you to feel any other way about it.”

“So, anyway – Christmas,” I continued, “it’s the reason I love it so much. For a whole week, I go and stay with my Mum and we see my Dad most days. Sometime’s if he’s had a bit too much to drink, after way too much encouragement from me,” I smiled as I thought back to last Christmas and Aaron matched my grin with one of his own, “Mum lets him crash over.”

“I bet that’s awkward, right?”

“Well, you’d think so, wouldn’t you,” I replied, “but actually, they get on better now than they ever did. It’s almost like the separation has bought them closer together, even if it’s just for a few days.”

“Yeah, I get that,” Aaron said, nodding, “but you don’t see them all year apart from Christmas?”

“Well, I do see them now and again but it really is just fleeting visits and meeting up for dinner on birthdays and stuff. They time they split up was very difficult for each one of us but it gave me the kick up the arse I needed. I took everything in my life for granted up until that point. Together, they did everything for me, possibly even too much so I needed to show them that they hadn't got to worry about me on top of all the other stuff they had to sort out as a result of the split. I needed to make my own way; carve my own path."

“Well, you’re certainly doing that honey,” Aaron smiled and kissed me, “I think that’s why I’m so drawn to you; why I love you. You’re your own person; you don’t have to rely on anyone or anything else. That’s a very attractive trait.”

My stomach growled with hunger; my confessional had given me a raging appetite. I pulled away from Aaron.

“Anyway, can we continue this over some food – I’m ravenous.”

“Sure thing honey,” Aaron said as he pulled me up and out of our room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last update for today. Enjoy