Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 24

You know those days that you never want to end? That’s exactly what I felt when Aaron dropped me back at the hotel.

“So we’re on at nine-ish again,” he said between soft kisses.

“I know,” I sighed.

“No support tonight either.”

“What?” I asked, confused. There’s always a support.

“Yup, dropped out at the last minute,” he went on, still kissing, this time trailing them down my neck, “Jim text me while we were at lunch. I didn’t say anything though; I didn’t want to talk work.”

“You need a support act, Aaron. People have paid to see and the special guests. That’s what’s advertised. That’s what it says on all the posters and the tickets, right?”

“Yes, I know – you don’t have to remind me,” he answered, looking frustrated, “I’m sure Jim will try and get something sorted.”

“I hope so honey but I can’t see him finding anyone at short notice.”

Sweat broke on Aaron’s brow and I could almost see the workings of his brain.

“Look,” I said, “if the worst comes to the worst, I’ll get up and belt out a few numbers.”

I couldn’t stop the snort of laughter that bounced out of my mouth. The thought of me being on stage, in front of a couple of thousand, singing was quite possibly the funniest thing ever but then I opened my eyes and saw the look on Aaron’s face; a serious and hopeful expression. I started to shake my head, silently answering the question he was just about to ask.

“No. No way – it was just a joke.” I said firmly.

“You do sing though, right?” Aaron asked, “I know you do. I know it’s your biggest passion outside of photography and your music writing.”

“What the,” I said, surprised at just how much he knew about me.

“Don’t you know, Bea? A stalker knows everything about the one he’s stalking. It’s a fine art.” Aaron laughed and smiled awkwardly.

“I can’t remember ever actually mentioning that anywhere.” I said, smiling back.

“Oh, you so did. New Music, Non Stop - issue one hundred and two. It was the Spotlight on Success interview with the wonderful Beatrice Harvey,” he reeled off concisely and it worried me that he remembered far more than I did.

“Wow. What can I say?” I asked after a brief pause in conversation, “You really do know your stuff.”

“So?” Aaron said, clasping his hands together and grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

“So?” I asked back.

“C’mon Bea, please. I know you can do this. Do it for me, I beg you.”

“That’s not begging now, is it,” I said, wondering why hell I was even answering Aaron, let alone contemplating what he was asking, “If you really want me to do it, you’ve got to do way better than that; on your knees Aaron Holmes.”

“Seriously?” he asked.

“I’ve never been more so,” I replied, holding back a snigger of amusement, “now kneel.”

Aaron looked at me, shaking his head as he realised just how deadly serious I was being. I felt powerful and I loved it. He slowly dropped to his knees and looked up at me. All I could think about was what I could do to him; he looked so damn sexy. He must have picked up on the atmosphere as he flashed that smirk at me and I very nearly turned to jelly right in front of him.

“Beatrice Harvey – please, please, please would you support Shout the Call tonight?”

I stared out blankly out of the window. I wasn’t about to agree to anything just yet. He needed to work just that extra bit more.

“Please Bea, I beg you. Look at me,” he said; this time really laying it on thick, “I’m on my knees and everything. Please.”

“You may stand,” I replied.

“Does that mean you will?”

“It means you can get up off your knees.”

“Bloody hell Bea.”

“Now, now; that kind of language isn’t going to help your cause my dear.” I said and it took every fibre of my being to stop the belly laugh that was threatening to erupt from me.

“Shit, I’m sorry, but come on,” he said, wound up like a coil, “just answer, please.”

“Hmm,” I replied, rubbing my chin in faux contemplation, “well I suppose you have begged and pleaded quite well, so.”

Aaron clapped his hands and jumped up and down like an over excited child at Christmas.

“Um, I haven’t answered you just yet honey,” I continued, drawing things out even more. He stopped his little jig immediately; he looked drained. “But yes, I will help you out – just this once.”

Aaron’s arms enveloped me as he squeezed me tightly, showering kisses all over my face.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” he chirruped between more kisses, “you will not regret this.”

******

The problem is, if you could even call it a problem is when Aaron kisses me like that, it more often than not leads on to a full encounter and that’s exactly what happened. I really felt for him when we had to stop at the very height of passion.

“Shit!” Aaron shouted as he punched a hole through the headboard before covering his mouth; his fangs must have been out. “I’m sorry honey; I just got way too carried away.”

“Don’t be upset,” I said, sitting upright and taking his face in my hands, “I’m not. I think it’s pretty amazing that I turn you on so much. Damn it; that’s such an arrogant thing to say. I didn’t mean it like that. I meant,” I trailed off as the proverbial hole I was digging got deeper and deeper.

“Hey,” he stopped me, “no apology required. You’re completely right – you seriously turn me on.”

I pulled him into a deep hug and kissed his cheek.

“Anyway, changing the subject slightly; exactly what am I going to be singing tonight?”

“Just go with about five of your favourite songs. No slow tracks though; they’ve got to be fast and frantic; rocking, you know? Anything close to our sound and you’re there.”

“Please tell me I won’t be singing to a backing track? Somehow I don’t think the crowd will really appreciate that.”

“Nope; the band will back you up sugar, don’t you worry,” he replied, “they all started as session musicians. You won’t believe the stuff they know off the top of their heads. Just choose your songs and I’ll let them know. If there’s anything they don’t know, then we’ll just pick something else.”

I shook my head, fully coming to terms with what I had agreed to.

“Now let’s get you ready,” he went on, “we’ve only got an hour and twenty minutes before you hit the stage.”

My stomach and I felt a wave of nervous nausea wash over me.

******

If it wasn’t for the fact that the crowd lapped up ever single second of Beatrice & The Harvey’s set, I probably would have fell in the first few bars of the first song. As the set came to an end, I looked around at Tim, Alex, Liam and Jack who were smiling unabashedly at me. I smiled back. I had just performed my first, proper gig. I felt utter elation as the crowd chanted my name and asked for more. The schedule was tight though, so after I thanked the band, the crowd and last but not least, Aaron, I headed off stage. Aaron stood at the base of the steps that led down to the corridor with a gigantic smile on his face. I smiled back, still half in shock. He pulled me into his chest and hugged me tighter than he had ever done before.

“Jesus Christ, Bea – that was unbelievable. I just, well, oh man, it was awesome.” His words tumbled over themselves.

“Thank you,” I replied, not caring much for the sweat dripping from my hair on to his shoulders.

“No, seriously – thank you honey. You’ve saved our bacon tonight and you’ve given me yet another reason to utterly adore you.”

I felt a shiver run through me; he could not have said anything better.

“Thank you, again. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. If I never get up on a stage again, I’m happy. That was amazing. I’ve done little gigs here and there in the past but this is in a whole different league. It’s going to take quite some time to come down from this.”

“And you could totally see that,” Aaron said excitedly, “you owned it honey – one hundred per cent.”

I blushed.

“Hey,” he went on, pushing my away gently, still holding my waist, “why don’t you get cleaned up and grab a few drinks while we’re on. Enjoy the set and then I’ll catch up with you afterwards. I’ve got a little surprise up my sleeve. You’re going to love it.”

I grinned from ear to ear as Aaron turned me round and slapped my backside playfully before he headed off down the corridor.

******

It may have been because I was still on an all time high from performing, it may have been that the drinks were going down far too well but Shout the Call looked and sounded better than I had ever heard them. Everything felt perfect and if there was a bottle big enough, I would have captured this atmosphere – this moment in time and forced it, only to be opened if I felt down in the dumps, which I knew would never happen whilst I was with Aaron.

The band blasted out their encore and I took this as my cue to retreat backstage. I couldn’t wait to see Aaron and whatever this surprise was. I grabbed a beer from the fridge in our dressing room and plonked down on one of the settees. I took a long, deep gulp and shivered; the freezing cold temperature taking itself out on my teeth and my head. Aaron came bounding into the room.

“Hey,” he said, running up to me, practically throwing himself at me before kissing me hard on the lips, “so how’s my multi-talented, gorgeous girlfriend?”

“She’s very well thank you,” I answered, “still buzzing actually.”

“Good good,” he said, smiling widely and rubbing his hands together, “is she ready for her surprise?”

He headed towards the door and opened it, just slightly.

“You can come in now,” he said, out into the corridor. I fidgeted with anticipation and then my mouth dropped open in amazement before it stretched into a wide smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one BRAD. Hope you, and others, enjoy the update.