Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 7

I woke up in my own bunk; something which I was, actually, more than happy about. It would have been so easy to get carried away in our mutual apology but part of me was still pretty pissed off with Aaron and he knew it. He knew that I knew he was holding something back but it could all wait, at least just for the time being. We were in Paris and I would be making the very most of my day off in a place I’ve always wanted to visit.

Washing, changing and generally getting ready is normally easy enough but it’s a different story altogether when you’re trying to tip-toe around the bodies of crashed out band members who had decided there wasn’t much point in actually going to bed. I chuckled to myself as I cast my eyes over them all, splayed out on any surface that looked comfortable enough to lie down on. The snoring almost sounded harmonious. Happy that I was finally done and ready to go, I pressed the ‘open’ button beside the bus door and it slid open automatically. It frightened the life out of me when I saw Jim sitting outside, tugging on a cigarette.

“Christ, Jim – you scared the living daylights out of me!” I said feeling like my heart could have burst out of my chest at any moment.

“Sorry chick,” Jim replied, “I didn’t mean to. What’s made you so jumpy anyhow? You know that if I’m not with the band, I’m never far away.”

“Oh, it’s nothing Jim,” I lied, wondering if he could see through it, “It’s just a case of too much alcohol and lack of sleep I think. I’m completely out of my league with this lot!”

“Right,” Jim said before chuckling kindly, “you certainly don’t seem the type that could match these guys when it comes to burning the candle at both ends; no offence.”

I laughed.

“No offence taken Jim; I really don’t know how they do it. I just can’t wait to start work properly. At least it will give me a breather.”

“I see,” Jim replied, smiling, “but you realise that you’ll be expected at every after-show party, right?”

“Seriously?”

“I couldn’t be more,” Jim answered, “are you sure you’re okay though chuck. No one has upset you have they?”

“Nope; everything’s cool.”

“Well, look Bea, if you have any issues with the work in hand or indeed, any of these bloody layabouts, you just come and talk to me. You know you can do that, right?”

For some stupid reason, I felt my throat go tight with emotion. I trusted Jim and I knew he meant every word of what he had just said. I wanted to tell him everything that had happened between me and Aaron, obviously omitting certain details, but if was being honest, what was there to ‘tell’? I couldn’t tell Jim something I didn’t understand in the first place.

“Aw, thanks Jim,” I replied, urging my voice not to wobble, “that means a lot to me. Thank you.”

“My pleasure chuck,” Jim said, giving me a kind wink.

******

There wasn’t enough time to see all the sights because I had to be ready and available to shoot when the band was set to sound-check at six pm so my day was spent sitting outside coffee shops, drinking some of the best coffee I have ever tasted and when I found a boulangerie, patisserie and delicatessen within yards of each other, I splurged on cheese, olives and fresh, crusty baguettes and more than a few sweet treats to take back to the bus for us all to enjoy. I was loaded with bags and had far too much coffee in my system (probably for the best) and as I practically barged down the door, there was only one face to meet mine.

“Hey honey,” Aaron said, catching me and stopping me from falling flat on my face.

“Hey,” I replied breathlessly, looking past him, into the bus to see who may have witnessed my embarrassing little trip but finding the bus empty, “where are the guys?”

“Oh, they shot off for sound-check,” Aaron answered.

“But it’s only five twenty. They’re eager aren’t they?”

“Well, I actually asked them to go a bit earlier,” Aaron answered, looking sheepishly pale.

“Oh, okay honey. I’m surprised they complied. Didn’t they wonder why you wanted them to go?”

“I just told them that we, you and me, had things to discuss and off they went without a word. I think they guessed something was wrong last night.”

“Yes, well it’s all sorted now isn’t it?” I asked, as much to myself as well as Aaron. “Hey, I really enjoyed out kiss-and-make-up session.”

“Oh man, me too,” Aaron replied, “but I do really need to talk to you. There’s something you really ought to know.”

For the second time in two nights, Aaron was starting to worry me.

“About?” I asked, unsure whether I really wanted to know.

“Oh shit, Bea,” Aaron said, letting out a long, heavy sigh, “This is going to be hard and you’ll never believe me but, well, it’s true. Believe what you want.” He took my hand and led me to over to the settee.

“Sit down Bea.”

I did as I was told even though I was royally shitting myself. Aaron took a deep breath and exhaled. It seemed this was going to be one hell of a chat. As he opened his mouth to speak, the bus door flew open.

“Thank God!” Jim shouted, looking shook up, “sorry to disturb you guys but Aaron, you need to come with me – now!”

“What’s happened?” Aaron asked as he dropped my limp, clammy hand.

“No time for that,” Jim answered, “just hurry!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Last update for today folks. Enjoy