Status: Active

If Jealousy Could Kill

Chapter 16: Stress

“So what did you and Rina do on your first date?”

Miyuki looked up and over at Haruna, the slightly older brunette sitting across from her and staring right at her. Miyuki’s eyes flicked over to Tomomi only to see the brunette was too busy focusing on her handheld gaming system to be paying attention to what Haruna was doing. Miyuki smiled to herself, leaning back in the chair. It was time to have some fun with this girl.

“We just had a nice dinner together. I never touched Rina if that’s what you’re implying,” Miyuki answered her. She could see Haruna glare at her for her answer. Such a sensitive and easily angered person. Miyuki was beginning to see that Haruna was indeed a lot like her. They were both sensitive and easily upset; they were both protective over those they loved as well.

“I never implied anything,” Haruna responded coldly. Miyuki rolled her eyes at Haruna’s tone; she really didn’t know what was up with this woman. Miyuki couldn’t quite understand what Rina saw in this girl. Haruna and she had only known each other for three days now but in those three days, Haruna had shown Miyuki very little kindness.

There was part of Miyuki that wanted to go off on Haruna, just to give the girl a taste of her own medicine. She wanted to see if Haruna’s bite was as strong as her bark. But she always reminded herself that she had to do her best to remain civil with Haruna, getting her back seemed so important to Rina and she didn’t want her temper ruining it for the young girl.

“Haruna, be nice,” Tomomi scolded her finally, still not looking up from her game. Haruna shot a glare at her girlfriend, elbowing her in the ribs. The younger brunette jumped, the game console clattering down onto the table as Haruna let a sly smile slip onto her face.

“I am being nice, I’m only asking Miyuki a few honest questions,” Haruna defended herself. Tomomi let out a huff of air in response to Haruna’s statement. Haruna really was only asking honest questions, she was still simply testing Miyuki to see if she was really right for Rina. Perhaps she was being a bit harsh, but it was all part of the test. Haruna didn’t want Rina being with someone who couldn’t control their temper.

“You could ask them in a nice tone,” Tomomi continued to scold her. Haruna rolled her eyes, muttering something under her breath and shaking her head. The younger brunette beside her giggled before she wrapped an arm around Haruna’s waist, pulling the two girls as close as their separate chairs would allow them.

Seeing the sudden act of affection, Miyuki could feel a cold chill go through her as the guilt slowly began to seep back into her. Every time she saw those two show so much affection to one another, she would start to become overridden by guilt. Rina had said they weren’t really happy together and could never be happy together but… They looked happy. That was what made Miyuki feel so guilty.

But whenever she would think about backing out of this promise, she always remembered how upset Rina would be if she did that. No matter which way she turned, Miyuki was hit with guilt on both sides. From the very beginning, Miyuki had to make a choice on who to hurt and who to help. She’d simply chosen to help Rina instead of hurt her. There was no way Miyuki thought she could ever actually say no to Rina. All Rina had to do was look at her with those sad eyes of her and Miyuki would cave into her request.

As if on cue, the young brunette came bounding into the kitchen. Miyuki turned to face her, raising an eyebrow when she saw the girl’s attire. Rina was dressed in a simple pair of black slacks with a white top, her clothing slightly covered by the pink apron she wore.

“What’s with the get up?” Miyuki asked her, smiling at the girl who giggled in response. Rina walked behind Miyuki, wrapping her arms around the older girl’s neck and placing a kiss on her cheek.

“I have work today, silly,” Rina responded. The brunette laid her chin down onto Miyuki’s shoulder, gazing across the table at the couple who sat side by side. Tomomi had gone back to her game console while Haruna sat back in her seat, her coffee cup held tightly in her hands.

“Do you want me to take you there?” Miyuki offered. Rina pushed herself up again, her hands remaining on Miyuki’s shoulder while the older woman tilted her head back to smile up at Rina. “I also wouldn’t mind picking you up after work since you won’t get off until late I assume.”

“You really don’t have to do that, Miyuki,” Rina said. She could feel the small blush coming to her at Miyuki’s offer; she really was being such a sweet person. Rina could hear Miyuki laugh softly, a hand coming up to cover her own hand that laid lightly on Miyuki’s shoulder.

“I want to, Rina. I want to make sure you’re going to be okay coming home that late at night,” she explained to her. Rina’s eyes quickly glanced up at Haruna, a small smile coming to the young girl’s face as the thoughts began to fly into her mind. Rina had only ever let Haruna pick her up from work; she knew it would get to the older girl if she agreed to let Miyuki do it. This was all going perfectly.

“I’d like you to come with me,” Rina responded finally. She could see the way Miyuki smiled at her response. Rina leaned down, giving the older girl a gentle kiss.

“When should we leave?” Miyuki asked when they separated. Rina looked over at the clock before letting her eyes move back down to Miyuki.

“Probably now would be best,” Rina said. She could hear the older girl laugh at her response before shaking her head and pushing herself out of the seat.

“Thank you for the warning, Rina,” Miyuki said, nudging the younger girl gently. Rina giggled softly, letting Miyuki lace their hands together.

“I’ll see you guys later,” Rina said as she turned back to the couple at the table. Tomomi gave the duo a bright smile, waving enthusiastically at them while Haruna murmured a soft goodbye to them. The couple at the table watched the two girls make their way out of the kitchen.

Once Tomomi heard the front door shut, she set the game console onto the table, pushing herself out of the chair. She stretched her arms above her head before letting them fall by her side. Her feet carried her over to the counter where she picked a water bottle. The brunette twirled around, leaning back against the counter, looking over at the older girl still sitting at the table.

“Spill it,” Tomomi told her suddenly. Haruna’s head shot up, the older girl turning her body to look at her girlfriend. Tomomi could see the confusion etched on Haruna’s face.

“Spill what?” she asked. Tomomi took a drink of the water before sighing softly, placing the bottle down onto the counter. So they were going to do this the hard way then. That was fine with Tomomi.

“Why have you been treating Miyuki so badly?” Tomomi asked her bluntly. She could see Haruna sigh before the older girl looked down at the table, her hands that sat atop the wooden table beginning to pick at each other. “Miyuki has been nothing but nice to us all, so what is it about her that you don’t like? What’s the real reason?”

“You don’t understand,” Haruna murmured.

“Maybe I don’t but that doesn’t mean I never can. Why don’t you like Miyuki?” Tomomi repeated her question, hoping that she could get an answer out of Haruna this time. The young brunette could see Haruna shake her head but found the older girl responding anyway.

“I’m just worried about her. Rina hasn’t chosen the best people in the past and she’s so fragile. She’s so easily hurt, I just want to make sure that whoever she’s with will take good care of her.”

Haruna really wasn’t intending on being so mean to Miyuki, her coldness and hostility were completely unintended. She knew she was being harsh, but she hadn’t meant to be as harsh as she was probably coming off. She wasn’t trying to hurt anyone, she was only trying to make sure Rina was being taken care of the way she deserved to be.

Tomomi laughed softly, shaking her head and pushing herself off the counter. She walked over to where the older brunette still sat at the table, draping her arms over Haruna’s shoulders and laying her head down on top of Haruna’s.

“You’re acting just like a mama bear protecting her cub right now,” Tomomi thought aloud. She could hear Haruna attempt to stifle a laugh below her. She had managed to make Haruna laugh at a time like this, it was progress at least.

“That’s a pretty weird comparison to make,” Haruna noted. Tomomi wrapped her arms tightly around Haruna’s neck, lifting her own head and kissing the top of Haruna’s.

“You know, I think you’re just stressed. You’re overthinking this and you’re over worrying about it, we just need to help you relax,” Tomomi said. The younger brunette could feel Haruna lean back in the chair before she tilted her head up to look at Tomomi, the curiosity shining in her eyes.

“What did you have in mind?” Haruna asked her. Tomomi gave her a bright smile before dropping her hands from around Haruna. She walked around the girl again, grabbing her hand and forcibly pulling Haruna out of the chair.

“Come with me,” Tomomi stated simply before she gave Haruna a small tug. Haruna raised an eyebrow in confusion as to what Tomomi was doing but decided to do it anyway. They were at Haruna’s house anyway, it’s not like Tomomi could cause too much trouble in her house.

Tomomi let the older girl out of the kitchen and down the hallway, Haruna diligently following her the entire way. Tomomi pulled Haruna into her bedroom before she let her hand drop away from Haruna’s. The younger brunette walked into the middle of the room before turning on her heels, clasping her hands together behind her back.

Haruna walked further into the room cautiously, eyeing Tomomi suspiciously. She closed the bedroom door behind her but didn’t get too close to Tomomi. The younger brunette gave Haruna a sweet smile when she saw the nervous habits of her girlfriend. Just what did she think Tomomi was really going to do to her? This was amusing the younger brunette.

“Come over here and lay down on the bed,” Tomomi instructed her. Haruna made no movements to get closer to Tomomi, instead just raising an eyebrow at the curious instructions Tomomi was trying to give her.

“Excuse me?” Haruna asked in surprise. Tomomi giggled at the tone she had used, she was so confused and suspicious right now. It looked rather cute on her.

“Just come lay down on your stomach for me, okay? I’m not going to do anything bad to you, my mother took me to one of these places a couple years ago and they really help reduce stress,” Tomomi explained. Haruna’s expression softened when she had heard Tomomi mention her mother. If it involved either of her parents then Haruna just assumed it couldn’t be anything too bad.

Haruna finally agreed to follow Tomomi’s instructions, walking over to where the younger brunette stood just in front of Haruna’s bed. Continuing to eye Tomomi suspiciously, Haruna let herself crawl onto the bed, laying down on her stomach like Tomomi had specified.

Haruna brought her arms up to her head, laying them crossed beneath her and lightly laying her head down on her arms. She could hear a soft shuffling behind her and it didn’t take long for Haruna to feel the bed shift. She tried to push her body up a bit to look back at Tomomi but she didn’t get very far before she could feel Tomomi push her back down, the younger brunette coming to sit on top of her girlfriend.

“What exactly are you doing?” Haruna asked her. She could feel Tomomi’s hands trail up her body, settling themselves down on her shoulders.

“What do you think I’m doing?” Tomomi countered her. Haruna blew out a huff of air before burying her face in the arms that held her head up.

“I don’t think I should say,” she mumbled. She didn’t know at first if Tomomi had heard it but when she heard the giggle from her girlfriend, she knew she had in the end.

“Keep your mind out of the gutter, Haruna. Remember that I said my mother took me to do this once,” Tomomi scolded her playfully.

Haruna mumbled something else but this time, Tomomi wasn’t able to hear it. She smiled down at the girl beneath her, leaning down and giving the top of her head a soft kiss. She knew Haruna was probably curious as to what she was talking about.

“Everyone always says that massages are a good way to relieve stress, I figured it would help you calm down,” Tomomi finally explained herself. Haruna turned her head to the side again, glancing back as best she could at her girlfriend. She could see the smile Tomomi was giving her, a gentle squeeze coming to Haruna’s shoulders.

“Do you even know how to do this?” Haruna questioned.

“Not really, but I imagine it can’t be that hard to do,” Tomomi answered, shrugging her shoulders. Haruna let a smile come to her face as she felt Tomomi begin to move her hands to start her makeshift massage. Haruna could feel the younger girl’s small hands squeezing her shoulders, her delicate fingers moving along the bones and skin of her shoulder blades.

“You know, it’s not proper for a masseuse to sit on their clients,” Haruna murmured out. Tomomi peered over at her girlfriend, a big smile coming to her when she saw that Haruna had let her eyes close, a content look on her face. She already looked like she was feeling a little better.

“It is when it’s your girlfriend,” Tomomi replied slyly. She could see Haruna’s smile grow at her comment, a small laugh leaving her girlfriend.

“Stop stealing my lines,” Haruna replied jokingly. Tomomi laughed softly, leaning down and kissing Haruna’s cheek. She pushed herself back up, continuing her amateur work on Haruna.

Even if Tomomi claimed she didn’t know how to do this, Haruna had to admit that Tomomi was doing a very good job. Haruna really was enjoying Tomomi’s handiwork quite a lot, she seemed to know which areas of her shoulders to touch and just how to. Haruna was beginning to think that Tomomi knew a little more than she had originally let on.

“Ne, Haru… Have you ever been to the spa?” Tomomi asked her after a few minutes of silence. She looked down at Haruna, the older girl failing to respond right away.

“Once when I was in high school, my parents took me with them on one of their trips,” Haruna replied finally. Tomomi smiled at Haruna’s answer, so they were in the same boat. Neither girl had gone to the spa in years; Tomomi thought that maybe it was time they went back. Now was as good as any time to bring it up with Haruna.

“What would you say if I asked you to go with me one of these days?” Tomomi leaned to the side when she saw Haruna let her eyes flutter open. The two girls connected eyes, a small shocked look on Haruna’s face. “It’ll be fun. Who knows, maybe a few days away will help you accept Rina and Miyuki’s relationship. It’ll be good for you to get away from everything.”

“How could we manage that though? We both have work and you have school as well.”

“We can go over a weekend! I won’t have to worry about school and I’m sure we could both get the same weekend off if we tried enough. Come on, Haru. It’ll be fun and you deserve a break from all of this. Come with me. Please?” Tomomi asked her gently.

The two girls stared at each other in silence before a smile took over Haruna’s features again. She just couldn’t find it in her to say no to Tomomi, and a vacation at the spa did sound awfully nice to Haruna. With those last thoughts, Haruna nodded her head.

“I’d love to go with you, Tomomi.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I suck at chapter titles.
Oh well. At least the chapter is good. That's what matters, yeah?