The Fast Times

Twenty Four

Pete returned home after school, managing to keep all the rumors out of his mind. He headed down to the basement to see if Nancy was there. He smiled when he saw her laying in their bed, her back facing him.

"Cy?" He called her name.

Nancy sniffed, having been crying since she had woken up just a half hour before, "Yeah?"

Pete went over, knelt behind her on the bed. He put his hand on her hip, "Cy, are you okay?"

She shook her head, "No."

He tugged her hip gently, to lie her back and face him, "What's wrong? Are you still sick?"

"Yes. And I hate Darla."

"What'd she do?"

Nancy sat up slowly, sniffling, "She took all of my grandma's stuff and they sold the house," she sobbed. "They took everything, Pete."

Pete swallowed, dread filled his gut, but he didn't let it get the better of him. He wrapped his arms around her body, pulling her close to him, "I'm sorry."

Nancy held Pete back, sniffling continuously, "Your mom saved me, though. She came over and helped me."

Pete rubbed her back, "Yeah, mom's like that. Where is she?"

Nancy looked up, "She's not here?"

Pete shook his head, "Her car ain't here."

Just then they heard the front door open and feet shuffle upstairs outside the basement door. It was Hilary, Andrew and Dale; "There she is," Pete murmured.

Nancy rubbed here eyes after their arms slipped from one another. The basement door opened and Dale came walking down the stairs with a heavy sigh, "Hey kids."

"Hey," they both replied quietly.

Dale smiled softly, "I got a lot of your things in my brother Mitchell's storage place, Nancy. I tried talking to Darla, but all I got was a big brick wall."

"Thank you for trying," Nancy said, "I didn't think she'd come around to any of this."

"Yeah, she's hardheaded. Other than that, we've got your things if you want to go by tomorrow and bring anything home."

"Thank you."

Dale winked at her, "It was no big deal, honey. How are you feeling?"

"A little better."

Dale looked over at Pete, "How about you?"

"I'm good. Uh, I talked to the principal...apparently everyone knows about our situation."

Dale frowned now, "Great. How?"

Pete shrugged, "Dunno. But he said he'd get us some help...I don't know what kind, but he said he'd help."

"That's great," Dale smiled again, "that's very nice of him."

"Yeah, he knows I got into Columbia. He said he'd help Nancy since she's so smart," he looked back at Nancy, seeing the blush to her cheeks.

"See? Things are working out," Dale pointed out. "You kids shouldn't worry so much. Don't worry about what people say, they don't dictate your life, you do."

"Thanks, ma," Pete smiled back at her.

"No problem. You two rest while I get dinner ready."

Dale returned upstairs; Pete climbed into bed with Nancy, sitting beside her. Nancy scooted closer and then laid her head in Pete's lap, he chuckled softly and then began to run his fingers through her hair. She sighed contently, "How bad are the rumors?"

Pete sat back against the pillows and headboard, "They're...bad."

"Who told?" She asked.

"It must've slipped from one of our friends. I don't know who started it," he mumbled. "I'm sorry, Cy."

"It's okay. We couldn't keep it a secret forever."

"Everyone's saying the baby is Chip's," he grumbled now.

"I haven't slept with Chipper in over a year," Nancy sat up slow again; Pete's hand slipped down her back. "Do you believe me? Or do you think I slept with him too?"

Pete furrowed his brows, "No, I don't believe that. You and me have been together--we've hung out nearly everyday. I don't believe it for a second, Cy."

Nancy nodded, "That's all that matters then. I haven't slept with Chip, and this baby is ours."

Pete smiled at her, the confusion and slight anger simmered away, "I know that. I won't ever leave you or deny our kid."

Nancy returned to lying her head in his lap, "I'm afraid to return to school."

"Because of what they'll say?"

"Yeah and I'm sick all the time."

Pete exhaled, "It'll get easier. Soon no one will care and it'll be a breeze to get through."

Nancy shut her eyes, "Thanks for not leavin' me, Pete."

Pete stroked her hair, "Thanks for hanging in here with me, Cy."


The night followed without a single disturbance. Pete's father was still missing from dinner, and he only came in just to head to his office. He ignored everyone and kept to himself, he wasn't in the mood to yell upon deaf ears. Everyone stayed out of his way anyhow, no one wanted confrontation. Nancy especially kept her thoughts and words to herself when Peter stomped through the house.

That night Pete and Nancy could hear him upstairs, walking around. He didn't sleep in the master bedroom with Dale any longer, he slept in the guest room. Nancy felt dread and guilt in her heart and stomach, wishing he could accept it or at least pretend to. Most of the time she wished she wasn't pregnant and hadn't wreck everything. There was a lot she felt guilty for and wished hadn't have happened.

Pete was more so angry at his father for being so stubborn. He wanted his father to accept it, too, he didn't want his dad to pretend or be angry anymore. Pete wanted his whole family to come together and make it work.

In the morning, Pete got up and got ready for school. Nancy got up to get ready to go to the doctor with Dale. Pete smiled when Nancy returned from the upstairs bathroom in a towel and dried off. He saw the baby bump, sending butterflies through his stomach. When she put on her underwear and then jeans, he went over and wrapped his arms around her back to touch her bump; "What're you doing?" She asked quietly.

"I just wanna hug you," Pete answered, his hands placed on her protruding bump, "and say good morning to our baby."

Nancy smiled, "The baby hasn't given me any trouble this morning...maybe he's calming down."

"He?" Pete smiled, "You think the baby is a boy?"

Nancy shrugged, "I dunno. We should think of names soon."

"Yeah, we should."

"I hope the baby'll calm down and let me go a day without vomiting," Nancy turned to look at Pete, "I'm sorry I've been such a drag lately."

Pete kissed her, causing her to smile, "It's alright, life has been a fuckin' drag anyway."

Nancy felt butterflies, and then a swift movement in her belly. She gasped, "Oh my God, I think he kicked."

Pete and Nancy stepped back from each other and looked down at her belly. Pete put his hand to it, "He did?"

"I think he did, I felt a...something," she stammered. "It was weird."

They continued to stare until they both figured the baby wouldn't kick again. Pete knelt down and kissed her bump, "I love you little one. You and mommy."

Nancy felt the butterflies again, and then the movement. This time Pete gasped and jumped slightly, "I felt it, Cy!"

She giggled, "That's so cool."

Pete kissed her bump again before standing. He pulled Nancy into a hug, "I love you."

Nancy swallowed; she wasn't sure if she did love Pete nor not, but she said it anyway, "I love you too."

The two parted and continued to get ready to leave. Nancy dressed warmly and was still feeling okay by the time she and Pete headed out. Dale had helped her to the car where Hilary and Andrew were waiting. They all waved to Pete as he left and then headed towards the kids' schools. The drive was silent until both Hilary and Andrew were dropped off at school; Dale spoke up, "How are you feeling today, Cy?"

"I'm okay. We felt the baby move this morning," she informed. "It was nice."

"That's called a quickening," Dale told her. "It feels like a little flutter."

"Yeah," Nancy smiled. "Pete was so excited."

"You guys are so cute together," Dale exhaled, "things between you all are okay?"

Nancy gave a nod, "Yes, we get along and we're happy. Pete's very sweet to me," she said softly. "You raised a great son, Mrs. Wentz."

"I'm so grateful he isn't stubborn like his father," Dale rolled her eyes at the thought of her husband. "He and Pete used to be so close, but Pete became a teenager, rebelled and it ticked his father off. Knowing Peter, I believe he'll come around, he won't be angry once the baby is born," she let out a giggle, "Peter's a sucker for babies."

"I hope so," Nancy shared, "I'd like him to be a part of the baby's life since I don't have my own parents."

Dale patted her knee, "He will, just give it some time."
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize about how slow this is, I've just been taking my time on things, I don't like to rush it.

Thanks for reading :)
xxali