Status: ACTIVE!!! :D

Neverending Game

4

We ran a good distance before we were certain that the Careers wouldn’t find us. We stopped, because our feet smashing against the dead leaves were really loud, and we didn’t want any other bloodthirsty tributes to hear us. I heard a conversation coming from back behind us.

“Get him, Danny!” I heard a Career say.

Cruel laughter.

“No, no please!” Zack yelled.

“No mercy, Danny!” another Career said.

The sound of steel slicing through skin.

Cheers and a cannon blast.

“Damn, they got him!” Vic said. “We’d better run, or that’ll happen to us.” I said. Vic nodded, and we continued to run. Suddenly, Vic tripped. “Vic!” I said as he came crashing to the ground with a loud thud. He cried out in pain.

I got down beside him. I examined his body for injuries. On his left calf, the thin fabric of his skin-tight jeans was ripped, revealing a thin but deep gash. A few inches away was a long, protruding root coming from the ground. It was stained with Vic’s blood. I could hear the Careers getting closer. Vic was in no condition to walk, let alone run.

I had no choice but to carry him. I cradled him in my arms. He was crying softly, his face streaked with dust. I ran in the direction we had been going, away from the approaching Careers. We came upon a river and a cave. I grinned. This was perfect. We could hide in the cave, and I could clean Vic up in the river as well as get food and water.

I plunked across the river, knee deep in water. I scrambled up onto land and into the cave. I walked all the way to the back and laid Vic down. He looked pained. ‘Well, DUH, he’s got a horrible gash in his leg.’ I thought. “Vic, how much does it hurt?” I asked him quietly. He opened his eyes, the fearful brown emerging from behind his eyelids.

“A lot.” He groaned. I looked at his leg and winced. Blood was slowly oozing out of the fresh cut, darkening his already grey pants. Desperate for something to stop the blood, I took my dagger and hacked off a piece of my shirt and gently placed it on the wound. The blood quickly stained the black nylon. I pressed the fabric onto the wound, making Vic scream out in pain.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry…” I said. Vic sighed through gritted teeth. “I’ll be fine,” he said. “We need sponsors.” I said. Vic nodded. I looked around, not knowing where the broadcaster was.

“If anyone can hear me, we need help. Someone… anyone. Please.” I asked desperately. Vic looked at me. “They probably won’t do anything.” He said. “Not for District 12.” I turned to him and grasped his hand. “We can only hope.” I said with a smile. Vic smiled lightly, looking at our interlocked fingers. “I’m going to go see if the Careers are still out there.” I said, letting him go. Vic looked up at me and nodded.

He winced a little as I stood up. I turned around and walked out, but looked over my shoulder and stopped. “Promise me you’ll be okay.” I said. Vic nodded. “I’ll be right here.” He said.
I poked my head out of the cave. The coast was Career-free. Even so, I saw a small boy running through the woods. I walked out to see what it was. He kept running, so I couldn’t tell who it was. But I could tell what he was running from.

Tracker Jackers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no! Tracker Jackers! Who is the boy? find out in chapter 5!

Deaths This Chapter:
Zack Merrik: All Time Low

God bless Panem. .___.