Status: ACTIVE!!! :D

Neverending Game

5

I ran after the little boy being chased by the ravenous bees. Don’t know what Tracker Jackers are? Allow me to enlighten you. Tracker Jackers are genetically enhanced wasps. They can track you and their stings are fatal.

I swerved into the path the boy was running on. I could just hear the furious buzzing behind me. Looking ahead, I could see the boy. He had dirty blonde hair, and he was running incredibly fast.

“Hey!” I yelled at him. He didn’t bother to look over his shoulder, but he responded anyways. “Don’t kill me, man. I’m already dead.” He said grimly. I ran faster to catch up with him. “No, you’re not.” I said. “Just run and they’ll wear out eventually.” I knew I was wrong, and so did he.

“You know you’re wrong! Look, I don’t want any trouble. Just go take care of yourself, and may the odds be ever in you favor.” The boy said hastily. I sighed. I swerved out of the path that the boy was in.

What, you thought I was going to leave him? Not a chance.

I ran so that I was ahead of him. He looked to his left, and saw me. He opened his mouth to retort at me, but I cut him off. “Follow me.” I yelled. Not in the mood to argue, he made a b-line for me.

Running beside me, we both realized that the Tracker Jackers had lost our scent. The boy sighed in relief. We made it to the river by the cave that Vic was in. “What’s your name?” I asked, panting. “Chris,” he said, also out of breath.

I nodded. “Kellin.” I replied with my own name. Chris nodded nonchalantly, as if he didn’t care whether or not he knew my name. He winced a little, which got me worried. “Chris, are you okay?” I asked. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.” He mumbled. He quickly put his hand behind his back. Now I was really scared. He looked about twelve, and I could tell he was hiding something from me.

“Chris… show me your hand.” I said. Hesitantly, he showed me that hand that wasn’t behind his back. “No, the other one.” I said. Chris shook his head. I seized his wrist and looked at it. “Hey!” he yelled. My worst fears were confirmed. He whimpered as I turned his hand over to reveal a large, green, thumping Tracker Jacker sting.

“One got me anyways. I’m gonna die any minute now.” He said. Tears stung my eyes. “But you’re so young,” I said. Chris sighed. “Just go. Take care of your tribute; at least you have someone to live for.” Chris said. Tears piled themselves high in my eyes. I tried not to blink and let them fall. “Sam ate some berries that he obviously shouldn’t have eaten. I don’t know what they were called, but they looked like raspberries. Stay away from them.” He warned. The tears fell out of my eyes and plopped into the river.

Chris’s eyes suddenly rolled back into his head. They closed, and he fell to the ground. “No, Chris!” I said, cradling him before he could hit his head on the sandy ground. The water lapped against his cheeks, outlining his red face. His breath was forced, like he was trying to stay with me as long as he could. “Take care,” he said. I feared these were his last words. A tear fell on his face and mixed with his own.
“And may the odds be ever in your favor.”
His head lolled to one side. I heard a loud breath escape his lips. That was his last. The cannon blasted, and his somber face was projected onto the sky, glittering within the stars. His name cascaded in the dark blue, causing more than a pang to resound against my already broken heart. I squeezed his body and let my head fall onto his chest in grievance. I barely even knew him, but he was far too young to die.
Not knowing what else to do, I found a patch of dandelions; the kind that you made wishes on. I dragged his ragged body under a tree. I picked the dandelions out of the ground and placed them in his hands. The bulging green wound stood out against the flowers, but since it had nothing else to infect, it was subsiding.
I stood up. I touched my three fingers to my chest and extended them towards Chris’s listless body. “Rest in peace, Chris Drew.” I said. I turned around and walked away from him. I needed to take care of Vic now. I didn’t want the same fate to fall upon Vic. He needed to live. I don’t know how I’d survive without him.