Status: sci-fi x crime x romance // under construction

AG8210V

Angie F: Three

“I’m beginning to think we should add Vladimir into the force,” Barrett timidly said, watching Linus stare at his hands emotionlessly. Barrett looked back at his laptop screen and sucked on his teeth. “Why shouldn’t we, Linus? His résumé is flawless, he spent three semesters at the University of Pennsylvania studying Computer Engineering, and he was the top student in all his classes before he dropped out six months prior to his junior year of college. This kid could benefit us.”

“Three semesters of work isn’t enough.” Linus stubbornly said, looking away from his partner. “And what brilliant kid drops out of an Ivy?”

“He was seventeen at the time,” Barrett said, as he searched for another article about Troy.

Barrett began his research to learn more about Troy Vladimir, why the kid vanished, then reappeared out of the blue. He came across an old article and began scanning. “It says here Troy was admitted into the University of Pennsylvania at the start of his apparently last year of high school. He completed his enrollment by choosing Computer Engineering as his major, thus starting college a year earlier than most college students.”

“That was around 2005?”

Barrett nodded. “Roughly between 2004 and 2005.”

“When was Ava Vladimir’s case submitted into the program?” Linus spoke slowly, biting the inside of his mouth.

“Her case was submitted,” Barrett slurred his words, as he quickly scanned Ava’s file, “February 2007.”

“Around the time Troy most likely dropped out of college,” Linus said gradually. He furrowed his eyebrows together. “That’s also around the same time Troy and his father left the city to go on a vacation.”

“Whom no one has ever seen until now,” Barrett added. “Why was Ava’s case only submitted eighteen years after her death?”

“Contact him,” Linus demanded. “I want that boy questioned if he’s joining this force.”

All this talk about dead people in my house makes my head hurt.” Ezmae intruded her husband’s conversation, letting her booming voice echo for Linus and Barrett to stop what they were doing.

Her sharp voice echoed throughout the Finn household, causing Linus to snap his head in the direction of the rare appearance of his wife, Ezmae Finn.

As Ezmae continually commented on Linus’s work, Angie began walking by her mother’s side, listening to her go on about crimes and why it made her universe implode whenever her husband brought his job home.

“You’re a surgeon.” Linus looked at Ezmae blankly. “You deal with almost dead people everyday.”

“Ah, Barrett I almost didn’t see you there with my husband’s big talk in the way.” Ezmae let out a strident laugh, a laugh no longer recognizable to Linus or her daughter. “How are you?”

“Dr. Finn, good morning.” Barrett smiled, “That hospital finally gave you the break you deserve?”

“People like me don’t get breaks,” Ezmae smiled upon herself. “My surgeries today are scheduled at two, so as of right now, I only have five hours to myself.” She looked at Linus tactlessly, then back at Barrett. “I tell you, my shift’s been extra heavy since I got my new interns.” Ezmae focused her attention on Angie. “Maybe one day you’ll be able to follow me, dear, cut open people, and save some lives.”

Angie only nodded, looking down. She was curious of the stares her mother was giving her but maintained her silence instead.

“Barrett, I’ll see you later in the office,” Linus said lowly, watching his partner leave his sight. He turned to Ezmae, staring at her for a second. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“I won’t be here tonight.” Her voice was thick. “I told you, I have back to back surgeries after two today.”

Ezmae reeked of soap and medicine. It was the two things every kid reviled, but Angie held onto the two scents as a reminder of who her mother was as a person. Her fingertips were chipped, and her hair was perfectly curled around her slender face. Behind her tough cheeks and hollow grin, Ezmae was crumbling. Her soft heart wanted to feel the heat it deserved. Rather, it was surrounded by the chilling fingertips of an unknown man’s palms. Maybe tomorrow she’ll feel the warmth she truly deserved.
♠ ♠ ♠
august 15 '15

Some info about Linus, Ezmae, Angie and their household.

~RECURRING CHARACTER(S)~
Ezmae Finn

hi thank you for the comments/recs/subs :-)))