Tangled in the Great Escape

On a Lonely Night

Cassandra


I stared out the window; light rain trickling down against the glass wall of the office making the night seemed a lot somber than it actually is. Bon Iver was playing on the speaker and I was stuck on a paragraph I have been working on since hours ago.

I found myself staring out the window a lot lately, especially whenever I felt like I needed inspiration. Watching people go on with their lives feels somewhat therapeutic and inspiring at the same time.

I took a sip of my now-cold coffee and sighed, this is what I hate from working in a cubicle. Back home in San Diego, whenever I felt stuck and out of ideas, I would go down to the beach or the park to get myself loose and in that process, gain inspiration. The constant gray clouds and the feeling of being trapped in a tiny cubicle don’t help with my writer’s block at all.

“Cassandra, what are you still doing here at this hour? You should go home” I looked up and found my senior editor, Eden, standing in front of my cubicle with her burgundy coat on and her scarf on her right hand.

I glanced at the clock; it reads 21:15, 5 hours past my working time. “Oh wow, I didn’t even realize it was this late” I chuckled.

“Come on, let’s go down together” She wrapped her knitted scarf around her neck and I nodded, clearing my table as fast as I could.

I put on my camel colored trench coat and grabbed my things before heading down the elevator with Eden. She was and is my mentor in this new office, during my first week here as the ‘new kid’, Eden took me under her wing and showed me the ropes around the office. At first, I thought she was British since she had British accent, but she turned out to be from Chicago but had lived in London for the past 7 years.

The first day I got into the office, I was terrified and lost and if it weren’t for Eden; I wouldn’t have survived the orientation week. Now it has been almost 3 weeks and I can finally say I’m starting to enjoy myself.

After saying goodbye to Eden, I went on my way to the train station. I closed my coat on tighter because it was freezing cold and the rain was only making everything worse. It’s 5 days before Christmas and the temperature had reached 38 degrees. Coming from sunny San Diego, the weather got me in total shock when I first landed at Heathrow, and the fact that most of the clothing I have isn’t suitable to be worn here; adds another minus for London in my book.

Once I got to Marylebone station, I took my coat off because it was soaking wet and got into the tube that goes to Queen’s Park. I was eternally grateful for the fact that the company took the liberty to set up my apartment so I don’t have to go apartment hunting on my own, but what I didn’t know was that my apartment is 46 minutes away by train. So getting to and from work is actually physically exhausting. Not to mention that I had to switch trains once I got to Queen’s Park and take another train that goes to Bushey Station, which is another 15-minute walk from my place.

I unlocked the door to my one bedroom apartment and turned on the lights, I went straight to the kitchen to fix myself something to eat because I realize that the last time I ate was at lunch, and it was only an egg salad sandwich. I decided to make a quick Kraft’s Mac and Cheese and as I waited for the water to boil, I decided to fire up my laptop and check for emails.

Avela, and the rest of my friends back home only communicates with me via emails or any other IM platforms, because phone calls are a privilege. Sometimes I would email her to go on Skype and we would talk for hours, catching up and talking like we used to before I moved. She was begging me to buy an iPhone so I can talk to her easier, but now all I have is an old Blackberry that can only be used for texting, calling, and emailing.

Inbox (2)

I opened the first email from a colleague of mine. It was an invitation to a company Christmas party that’ll be held in a few days. I groaned inwardly, thinking of how I would survive a night filled with socializing with people that I don’t even know. I closed the tab and opened the other email, which was from Jaime.

From: jaimepreciado@gmail.com
To: c.hayes@futureplc.com


Dude, get on Skype as soon as you get home. We have so much to talk about! Oh btw, Mike sold your car and he needs your account number so he can transfer the money. Wait, why am I telling you this now? We can talk on Skype. Duh.

Hurry!


Rolling my eyes, I immediately open the Skype application. I took my laptop and placed it on the kitchen counter so I can cook while talking to the two dorks that I miss terribly back home. Once it opened, I saw Jaime’s account was online and a wide grin was etched on my face.

“About time! What took you so long?” Jaime yelled as soon as the video was connected.

“I just got off work! It’s already 11 and I’m just exhausted” I said with an exaggerated sigh.

“So, watcha doin now?” Jaime propped his head with his hands, smiling from ear to ear.

“I’m cooking Mac and Cheese, where’s my baby sister?”

“Hold on, I’m going to go get her” Jaime sat up abruptly, almost knocking his laptop in the process.

I rolled my eyes and continue to stir my cheese packet into the bowl while Jaime went off to call Avela. I can hear him yelling her name faintly in the background, hurrying her down the stairs.

“Hey! I’m here!” Avela sat down, panting from all the running she did.

“Hey sis” I grinned and sat down with my bowl of mac and cheese. “So, what have you guys been up to?” I said as I took a mouthful of macaroni.

“Well, Frenchi was being a total pain in the ass these past few days. She came over earlier today and stole our entire Cheez-Its stash. It’s madness I tell you, madness,” Jaime said with his signature dramatic tone.

“What about you Cass? How’s everything there? Is it snowing?” Avela moved closer to the camera, trying to show her enthusiasm.

I laughed. “No, not yet but it’s raining like crazy and cold as fuck, I seriously miss San Diego weather” I pouted, instantly feeling homesick again.

“Well, you are going home for Frenchi’s baby thing right?” asked Jaime casually.

“You mean the birth of the baby? I don’t know Hime, plane tickets are insanely expensive” I sighed, putting down my spoon into the now-empty bowl.

“Well, you know we can help right?” asked Jaime again, which earned him a nasty glare from me, he knows damn well I hate being paid for.

“Jaime, don’t start,” I warned him as I get up to put my dirty bowl on the sink.

“Alright, alright. Sorry” Jaime said bringing both his hands up.

“Anyways, how’s everyone back home? How’re Vic and Mike?” I asked.

“Vic is good, he started writing and went to Big Bear a couple of days ago. The rest of us are going next week. Mike is holding up, I swear I admire his patience with the whole pregnancy thing” Jaime chuckled. I smiled imagining Mike catering to Frenchi’s constant needs.

“Ooh, Sis you better be prepared being Frenchi’s bitch when Mike goes to Big Bear” I laughed, taunting Avela with my finger towards the monitor.

She groaned. “I know! I’m dreading the day I get left behind and being forced to be Frenchi’s slave”

“Well, make her return the favor then” Jaime looked to his left, towards Avela.

“That’s going to be a while since I don’t plan on getting pregnant” She chuckled and poked Jaime’s side.

“I swear Ave, if you get pregnant I’m going to chop off Jaime’s balls” I said seriously, my baby sister is way too young to be a mother.

“Okay, moving on!” Jaime shouted loudly, making both Avela and I laugh out loud. “What’s happening in your life so far? Anything interesting? Or anyone?” He wiggled his eyebrows, making me laugh even louder.

“No one, I swear. English boys are so hard to approach! Also, I have this company Christmas party in a few days and that means I have to socialize. You guys know how much I hate socializing with people I don’t know!” I groaned and buried my head into my palms, just thinking about it already made my stomach churn.

“Well, that’ll be your way to make friends! Don’t tell me until this day you still hang out with Edith?” Avela rolled her eyes.

“It’s Eden, and of course not! I have other friends” That’s a lie. Eden was my only friend and that’s only because she’s my mentor.

“I know you’re lying and if you don’t make new friends after that party, I’m going ignore you for a whole week” Avela crossed her arms with a smug look on her face, as if she was winning this argument.

I rolled my eyes again and sighed. “Whatever. It sucks not being there with you guys for Christmas, I’m going spend my night crying and getting drunk on cheap wine”

“That’s nonsense! We’ll be having our usual Skype session but this time everybody is going to be here. Like a cyber date!” Avela grinned proudly of her idea.

The thought of ‘everybody’ makes my heart sunk because I knew I’d feel shittier than before, especially because of a certain asshole I have no intention of talking to ever again.

“Yeah, I can’t wait to see everybody” I said, faking a smile. “So what are you going to do for Christmas?” I asked both of them, trying to change the subject.

“Oh! We’re going to spend Christmas day at Jaime’s parents’ house and for Christmas night we’re going to head over to Frenchi’s to have dinner” She clapped enthusiastically.

I can feel my heart breaking even more after hearing what all of my friends have planned for Christmas when all I have in stored for me was Christmas movies and cheap wine.

“Cass, you look tired. Are you okay?” Jaime finally piped up, waking me up from my thoughts.

“Oh, I’m just tired, long day at the office today” I shrugged, playing it off so they won’t ask any more questions.

“Well, why don’t you head on to bed and we’ll talk tomorrow” Avela shot me an understanding smile.

“Yeah, I think I might just do that. I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow yeah?” I rubbed my eyes that were already clouded with sleep.

“Sure, goodnight Cass. Love you!” Avela and Jaime waved to the camera and I waved back.

“Love you guys too” I smiled and ended the call, shutting my laptop and stowing it away.

I dragged myself to the bathroom and gave myself a quick wash and brush my teeth. I changed into my gray worn out OBEY sweater and sweats before collapsing onto my daybed that I bought in a yard sale just a week back. As I was about to drift to sleep, I thought about all the stuff I will miss back home. I know Christmas is only the beginning; I will miss birthdays, Frenchi’s baby and the usual weekly parties the guys always throw. But I also know that I’m doing this for me and this would be great for me.

With all the drama back home, London will serve as my great escape.
♠ ♠ ♠
So first chapter of the sequel! Woohoo! Who's excited?!

Sorry this took so long to put out, I got A LOT of issues to take care and I gotta admit I wasn't feeling 100% so I don't want to force writing the chapter. This chapter might be a little boring but this is just the start, I promise you things will pick up!

I can't wait to see all your feedbacks, so subscribe, comment and recommend! :)