Tangled in the Great Escape

Someone Else's Arms

Cassandra


I groaned and let my head fell down onto the desk with a noticeable thud. I was put on duty to write a piece on an aspiring local band’s guitar player for my “Local Artists” column and never have I ever been stuck in a writer’s block this bad before, that I couldn’t even stand looking at the monitor without feeling like I’m about to throw up.

I glanced at the tiny clock on my table; it reads 1:14 PM. I pushed my self up from the desk and decided to go out and grab lunch, hoping that when I got back I managed to snag an inspiration. I looked around the office for Eden but I guess she was out because I couldn’t find her anywhere. I cursed to myself because I really don’t want to get lunch alone and without Eden I was forced to take someone else.

Damn it, Avela must be laughing her ass off right now.

I looked around the office from where I sit to see if there’s anybody free to talk to and the redhead sitting alone in the far corner cubicle caught my attention. She was burying her head in her palms and cursing quietly so I decided to walk up to her and introduce myself.

“Hi, I’m Cassie” I said awkwardly, giving her a stupid wave.

She looked up and nodded. “Yeah, the new girl. Can I help you?” She asked with a thick English accent.

“Uh, I was just wondering if maybe you would like to grab lunch together? I saw you here alone and I just thought you would like go get out of the office?” I gave her a friendly smile.

God this is so frightening!

Her expression changed, from confusion to delight. “Yeah sure, that would be lovely. I’m Robyn” She stood up and held out her hand for a handshake, which I took with a huge smile on my face.

After gathering all our stuff, Robyn and I went down the elevator and walked down Baker Street to find a restaurant that was fit for our wallet. We passed an Indian restaurant that I’ve always wanted to try, but it turns out to be one of those fancy gourmet restaurants that serves you itty bitty portions but charges you like you just ate a gigantic plate of baby back ribs.

“Where did you say you were from?” Robyn took me away from my food-filled thoughts and back to reality.

“Sunny San Diego, California” I smiled, trying to keep up with Robyn’s long strides.

“Ah, how are you dealing with the shitty English weather? Must’ve been quite a shock, yeah?” She shot me a grin.

“Oh tell me about it, it’s making me homesick!” I laughed and suddenly the expression on Robyn’s face changed.

“What?” I asked as my laughter died down.

She grinned and basically yanked my hand. “I know just the thing to get rid of that homesickness”

-

“Oh my God this feels like home,” I moaned into the burrito I just took a bit out of and Robyn responded with a giggle. “I didn’t even know they have Chipotle here in London!” I exclaimed excitedly.

She took me to Chipotle just a couple of blocks away from the office and I swear to God, this is the happiest I have been since the second I stepped foot in this country.

“I don’t understand you Americans and your fascination with Mexican food” She shook her head as she took a bite of her own vegetarian burrito.

“Just like you English with your tea parties” I rolled my eyes and she laughed at my remark.

We spent our entire lunch break in Chipotle just getting to know each other, asking general questions like where I live, my previous job and all that stuff. When we finished, we rushed back to the office because we were already 5 minutes past our lunchtime and when we got there, Eden was already leaning by my cubicle with a stack of materials to be reviewed.

After what feels like an eternity, it was finally time to clock out and go home. I could hear the bottles of cheap wine I had stocked in the fridge calling my name and begging for me to take a sip. I waste no time in clearing up my table because the moment my hours were done, I sprinted to the elevator and pressed the button that goes to the lobby. Just as I was about to exit the main entrance, I heard my name being called and when I turned around I saw Robyn jogging towards me while holding a large blue Bantex folder.

“Do you need help with that?” I pointed to the folder she held between her arm and her left side.

“Nope, I’m good. Are you going home?” She said as we both walked out of the office building.

“Yeah, I’m headed to Marylebone station”

“Well, I’m going that direction, let’s walk together?” She asked and I nodded, walking alongside her towards the tube station. As we made our way to the station, Robyn asked me a lot about San Diego, what home was like and I tried to answer it without breaking down and crying in the middle of the sidewalk. Robyn seemed really interested in my story and whenever I finished talking, she would ask me more and more questions.

“Well, this is my stop” I said as we reached Marylebone station.

She nodded. “Alright then, my station is still up ahead”

“Thank you for walking with me” I gave her a one armed hug.

“No worries, be safe,” She said as she leaned closer and placed a small peck on the cheek before smiling and walking away.

I stayed still for a few seconds, stunned. Damn, people here are… Friendly.

I got inside the tube station and boy it was a packed house. I got off the same time as everybody in the district and as a result, I’m going to have to squeeze my way home. I took my usual 45-minute train ride and dragged my feet towards my shitty little apartment building. Since this time I got off work on time, I got home just as it was starting to get dark and because I still have plenty of time, I decided to draw myself a nice hot bath. So I threw all my stuff onto the couch, pour myself a large glass of wine and grab a book to read in the tub.

20 minutes later, just as I was about to get lost in my James Patterson novel, I heard an annoying beep from my Blackberry. I reached my arm out to snatch my phone from the bathroom floor, only to find a reminder email about the Christmas party that’s going to be held tomorrow. Instantly, I went straight into panic mode and I jumped out of the tub, wrapping my body sloppily with a towel.

I’ve never gone to a company party before and I have no idea what to expect from it. Should I be all corporate-looking or should I dress up for a normal party? And what is it going to be like? Will it be a fun party or will it be a formal and boring party?

I shot Avela a quick email, telling them to go online on Skype so I can pick her brain on what to wear for tomorrow and while I waited for her to reply my email, I put on my underwear and log on to my Skype account. Minutes later, I heard the incoming call alert from my laptop.

“What? What’s the emergency?” Avela asked once her video was connected.

“I need help figuring out what to wear” I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

Her expression changed from worried to annoyed. “Really? Really Cass? I thought something major happened!” She rolled her eyes and leaned back onto the couch.

“This is major. The Christmas party is tomorrow and I have no idea what to wear, I’ve never been to a corporate party before!” I whined and paced back and forth in front of the camera.

“Okay calm down, did anyone mention how the party is going to be?”

“No”

She bit her lip, thinking. “Well, you can always wear something safe. Like a dress with tights underneath to make it more formal”

I turned around and open the doors to my wardrobe. As I stood there, scanning my collection of dresses, Avela began talking about her day and what ridiculous antics Jaime did during the 8 hours he’s been awake.

“Hey, why don’t you wear the dress you wore to last year’s new years party? The red one?” Avela suggested and I clapped in excitement.

“Oh my God, yes! Why didn’t I think of that?” I turned my wardrobe inside out to find that said dress, and just as I was about to give up, I found a plastic cover with my red Adrianna Papell dress inside it.

“Fuck yeah! Found it!” I held up the garment bag in front of the monitor for Avela to see.

“Okay now try it on with your black opaque underneath it,” She instructed and I nodded, fishing my black tights from my underwear drawer.

After trying it on, we Skyped for another half an hour, talking about what happens back home and how school was going for her. I was so proud of Avela for pursuing her education, even though she doesn’t go to a fancy university, I admire her determination to actually make the best of her life.

“You’re going to be here for my graduation right, Cass?”

“I don’t know, when’s your graduation?”

“Sometime next year, if I pass my final exam, that is” She flipped back her hair, and that’s when I saw the gigantic bruise on her neck.

“Avela Hayes is that a fucking hickey?!” I shrieked, pointing towards the monitor.

She immediately covers her neck with her hair, with her face turning crimson.

“Uh” That was all she managed to get out.

“Where’s Jaime? I’m going to rip him a new one,” I snapped.

“Oh come on Cass, don’t be such a prude. It’s nothing, we were making out last night and well… things got a little–“

“Okay stop, I don’t want to know” I put both my hands up, with a grossed out look plastered on my face.

“Seriously Cass, you need to get laid. You’re so uptight!”

“Why is getting laid always the solution to being uptight? I don’t need to get laid” I glared at Avela through the monitor.

“Yes you do. When was the last time you… you know”

I went quiet and my mind went back to the time Tony and I had sex at Frenchi’s wedding. That was the last time I had sex and now every time I think about having sex or something remotely suggestive like that brings me back to that night with Tony. It’s not like I don’t want to, I really do, trust me. It’s just I’m scared that when I actually do it, I would think about Tony.

“Cass you okay?” I snapped back to reality when hearing Avela’s worried voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Hey I think I’m going to go to bed, tiring day today” I gave her a half-smile.

Avela frowned. “Okay, let me know how the party goes tomorrow”

“Okay, bye!” I waved at her and closed my laptop shut after she ended the call.

I sighed and threw myself onto the bed. I suddenly felt suffocated because no matter where I go or what I do, Tony would be there waiting for me to have a mental breakdown. I admit, one of the major reasons why I decided to take the job was to get away from Tony but now it’s like no matter what I do, everything comes back to him. I knew it wouldn’t be easy to get over him, but I never thought it would be this hard.

***


“What the fuck is going on with my hair” I murmured to myself.

It’s now 6 PM and I’ve been trying to fix my hair for tonight’s party but it seems like my hair has a mind of its own. I wanted to curl it and let my hair down for the party but now I’ll settle for a high ponytail. The party is at 7 and with the train ride I have to take, it’s a miracle if I could get there on time.

I took out the dress from the garment bag and carefully put it on without damaging my now-civil hair. I dug out 7 inch black pumps and my black purse, stuffed all the necessities and went out the door. I closed my coat on tighter as the cold is starting to dig into my bones, times like these makes me wish that I have a car so I can drive with my heater on and not having to worry about the wind fucking up my hair.

I got to the office at 7: 15, and it turns out that English people are punctual people because the party had already started and there were already so many people here. I cursed myself for not asking Robyn whether she will be coming or not, so I went inside and made it a mission to find Eden.

After 15 minutes of hard looking, I gave up and went to get myself a drink. I poured myself a punch and stood in the corner, watching everybody dancing and talking. I realized that most of my co-workers are here with their significant other and that I’m the only loser standing in the corner with a glass of punch and a sour face.

“Hey! What are you doing here alone?” I turned my head to the source of the voice and found Robyn with a wine glass on her hand, wearing a little black dress that she paired with a bright red patent leather belt.

“Oh thank God, I don’t know anybody here” I pulled Robyn into a one-armed hug and quickly let go when I realized how awkward it was.

“Yeah, this place is packed, I’m surprised this many people turned out” She smiled and took a sip of her red wine.

“I didn’t even know there were this many people working for the magazine”

“Oh no, this is the entire publishing company, not just for Total Guitar. People from Rhythm Magazine, Guitar Pro and the other publications are here,” She explained and I nodded in understanding.

The next half hour was spent following Robyn everywhere, getting introduced to people from other publications and faking smiles all around. This is exactly how I would imagine a corporate Christmas party: boring and dragging. I thought about going home early and spend the night at home, drinking proper alcohol and all snuggled up in my pajamas but I don’t know how to get out of this party without people thinking I’m not being a ‘team-player’.

“God this party is such a drag, I don’t even know why I went” Robyn groaned and rolled her eyes.

“I know! I just want to go home and snuggle into my blanket. I don’t know which is lamer,” I laughed and flip my hair back. Suddenly, a tall, dark blonde haired guy with a killer smile on the other side of the room caught my eye. He was holding a beer bottle and laughing with a bunch of people. I could feel my mouth curling into a smile and my cheeks heat up when I saw he was looking at me too.

“Cassandra?” I was pulled back from my stare when I felt a tug on my elbow.

“Yeah? Sorry I was… Distracted” I glanced to where the guy was, but he was already gone.

“Do you wanna get out of here? I think I’m going to die of utter boredom if I stay here any second” She laughed and I nodded. We both sneaked out, grabbing our coats and walked out the office.

We were walking to the tube station, it was almost 9 PM and it looked like rain was going to fall soon. “Do you want to come over to my place? I could heat something up and maybe watch a movie?” Robyn suggested with a smile.

I thought about it but then I decided against it. “I would love to, but I’m just exhausted from faking smiles all night, I think I’m just going to head home, have a couple glasses of wine and sleep”

She smiled understandingly. “Oh alright then, I’m going to head home, I’ll see you soon?”

“Yeah, of course” I smiled and we exchanged hugs.

Once she parted ways with me, I kept walking and I stumbled upon a small underground pub and for whatever reason, I found myself walking towards it and entered the door. The interior was what I would have expected from a small English pub, they had a wooden bar with wooden stools and racks. The booths were black leather and the lighting was to a minimum. I must’ve had the biggest smile plastered on my face because I felt like I just found my ‘spot’.

The next hour was spent drinking 2 glasses of wine and 2 shots of Jameson; I may also be guilty of rambling all my problems to the poor bartender who was stuck listening to me because I was the only one sitting at the bar.

“More?” The bartender motioned towards my now-empty glass with his chin.

I nodded and while I waited for the bartender to refill my wine, I buried my head on the bar table. I was getting a bit dizzy and nauseous from all the alcohol and the fact that I haven’t had anything to eat since this afternoon doesn’t help at all. I began to worry on how I’m going to go home after this, since usually whenever I went out to get drunk, Tony would be there to make sure I get home safely.

“Beer please” I lift my head to see whom the owner of that deep, sexy voice that sat next to me. Much to my surprise, it was the guy at the Christmas party, still sporting that killer smirk of his.

“Here’s your wine, and here’s your beer” The bartender slid us both of our drinks and as I took mine, I could feel his eyes on me.

“You’re that girl from the party?” He said in more of a statement manner than a question.

I nodded, smiling because he remembered me. “Cassandra Hayes” I offered him my hand.

“Callum Andrews” He took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around” He released my hand.

“I’m new, I just transferred here about a month ago”

“Let me guess. American, California?” He squinted his eyes as he guessed. I smiled and nodded, causing him to break out into a wide, satisfied grin.

“Which magazine do you work for?” He asked as he took a sip of his cold beer.

“Total Guitar, I’m their journalist. What about you?”

“Rhythm Magazine, I’m the photographer” He shot me his knee-weakening smile once again.

We kept talking and talking, ordering drinks after drinks and not giving a care in the world. He told me about his time working for the magazine, how it was when he first joined and all the drummers he met because of his job. I noticed that even as he was talking, he had this permanent smirk plastered on his face, making him insanely sexy-looking.

“God I didn’t realize it’s past midnight already” He said looking at his watch and I did the same in reflex. I was so drunk that I don’t think I stopped giggling at everything he said.

“I’m going to sleep here, I can’t walk home,” I giggled and my speech was slurred.

“Where do you live again?”

“Kingsfield Road”

“In Hertfordshire?” He asked with his eyes nearly popping out of his skull. I nodded and he shook his head.

“Man, that’s about 45-50 minute train ride?” I nodded again.

He stood up and put on his coat, after throwing the bartender the money he owes. “Do you want to stay over at my place?”

I thought about it because I know I shouldn’t, but then again, what the heck.

I grabbed my coat and smiled. “Sure”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this one took so long to update, I was having a major writer's block and I'm starting my exam week. I don't really like this chapter because this is longer than my usual ones and I felt like this one is a bit dragging... What do you think? Let me know what you think about this sequel so far! I have 70+ subscribers, it would be awesome if some of you leave your thoughts in the comment box :)

Also, I kinda like Callum. If you guys watch Once Upon a Time, I based his looks off of Prince Charming and for Robyn, she kinda looks like this.

The next chapter is going to be up in a few days, I feel like I'm getting my writing mojo back :)