Status: Unfinished, let me know what you think!

Wake up Call

Meeting and a Good Idea

~Leilani~
“Alright! Onwards. Paige, the question on everyone’s mind, are we going to be able to keep paying everyone and publishing books for a few more months?” I asked and everyone chuckled.

“Absolutely! Hell, we could afford to hire several more people and still keep going for the foreseeable future,” Paige replied happily.

“Sounds like we all deserve a raise,” Onyx murmured. Her comment was greeted with laughter and cheers.

I looked to Paige with serious question in my eyes. She gave me a nearly imperceptible nod of her head. “Okay! Everyone is going to start making two more dollars an hour. That okay with you Pai?”

All heads turned to Paige, “Yeah, though maybe we just won’t tell the boys,” she joked.

“Of course we won’t tell them. They will be pleasantly surprised when they get their next check! Oh! You mean just give the girls a raise and pay the guys what they have been getting?”

Everyone shook their heads and I heard a soft chuckle coming from the other side of the room. I looked over at Adam and he honestly looked like he was holding in raucous laughter. I stuck my tongue out at him playfully and turned back to my staff.

“Moving on,” Paige encouraged.

“Right, Onyx, any important phone calls since I was here last?”

“Three actually, Avery called and said you were avoiding his calls, but he really needs to talk with you, a young man named Gavin was enquiring about a manuscript he sent in a few weeks ago, and Oprah called herself this time.”

I started typing more things into my to-do list as I responded, “If Avery resorted to calling here I guess it really is important, I’ll give him a call. Was it Gavin Finch?” I questioned, she gave me a nod, “Right, I am about halfway through, I’ll try to finish it up quickly. What did you tell Oprah?”

Onyx rolled her eyes, “The exact same thing I tell her people when they call, she asked if she could schedule a Skype chat with you to discuss your reservations about going on her show.”

I groaned, “Fine. Will you give her a call back and set it up for Monday afternoon?”

“Sure thing,” Onyx said, typing herself a note.

“Thank you dear. Kayson, Ava, and Ella, how are you coming on the manuscripts that you’re editing? Any ready to go back to the authors yet?”

“I have three chapters left to get through,” Kayson said.

“I sent mine off this morning,” Ava replied.

“I just got mine yesterday,” Ella grumbled. The three of them competed and Ella hated being behind the other two.

“Perfect!” I chirped, “Isabella, how’s the press looking for Ella’s new book? Which way are the critiques leaning?”

“Mostly good,” Is assured Ella, “There are always those few that tear it apart, but they are just some bloggers with barely any following.”

“Good to hear! How are the printers coming with our latest order Olivia?”

“They are two weeks behind schedule. I’m planning on tearing them a new one as soon as we’re done here.”

I nodded, “How is that affecting stock at our retailers Grace?”

“I’ve gotten several calls saying they are running low so I’ve been dividing up what we have left here. Hopefully they last until the printers get their act together.”

“Fingers crossed. Now for my favorite part of every meeting! Savannah and Willow, how is the book club fairing?”

“We are getting some really good numbers and everyone is enjoying the newest selections, but the following is still 99% female. We only have two guys participating,” Sav informed us.

“We keep trying to draw in the guys with our selections, but we can’t go full macho without pushing the women away. We just don’t know what else to try,” Will agreed.

I thought for a few moments, “Have you asked the guys for help?”

“Yep, but that hasn’t produced results either,” Sav whined.

I bobbed my head for a few seconds before sighing and looking at Adam, “Hey Adam, would you mind coming here and giving us your opinion for a second?”

~Adam~
I looked up from my phone when I heard Leilani call out to me. I nodded and moved over to the table of women. I heard a few squeaks and chuckled, figuring that the women had now recognized me.

One of the girls turned to Leilani and excitedly asked, “Why is Adam Levine in our office?”

Leilani rolled her eyes before replying, “He saved me from beating up my car when it wouldn’t start and offered to give me a ride instead of having to call a cab.”

“Why didn’t you take your Ducati?” Asked the woman that I thought Leilani had called Paige.

“You have a Ducati?” I asked in awe, this girl just kept getting cooler.

Leilani answered her friend first, “Because I’m wearing a skirt and I was too lazy to change,” then turned to me, “I have two actually. Let me introduce everyone. This is Paige, Onyx, Isabella, Savannah, Willow, Olivia, Grace, Ella, Ava, and Kayson.” Each girl waved as her name was said.

“Nice to meet you all. What did you want me for?” I asked.

“Oh! Right,” she said as she offered me the empty chair beside her and everyone sat down. “What makes you pick up a book and read it?”

I thought for a second, “If a friend liked it or someone I follow on Twitter recommends it or if I’m completely bored and I like the cover.”

“Hmm and if you were us how would you get guys to participate in a book club?”

The question stumped me for a few minutes, “Umm…”

“Shit Lei, I think you broke his brain,” Ava muttered.

There were a few chuckles before Leilani put her hand on my shoulder, “Dude, don’t hurt yourself. It wasn’t meant to be a hard question.”

I knew she was right, but dammit I wanted to give an intelligent answer. I wanted to impress her. “Have you thought of sending a playlist with the book list? I know plenty of bands and artists that would be more than happy to promote you and your book club if you’re promoting their music in return.”

My suggestion was met with silence and glances between all the girls. I couldn’t tell if they liked it or thought I was completely insane. Leilani stood up, spun my chair to face her and planted a hard kiss to my lips. I was completely stunned and she pulled away before I had recovered enough to return her kiss.

“You are a genius!” She exclaimed, “Will, Sav, start contacting record labels and asking them if any of their artists would like to participate! Is, work on a press release about it for if anyone agrees! I’ll talk about it with Oprah on Monday if I decide to go on the show also! All right people, you know what to do! Meeting adjourned!”

I was still a bit stunned by the kiss. I had felt a distinct spark with Leilani’s lips against mine, but she didn’t seem especially affected by it. That kiss was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever felt. A few of the girls came up to me and asked for pictures, which I happily posed for. When they had each gotten a few good shots I heard Leilani’s voice.

“Hey Ella, will you please show Adam to the kitchen and get him something to drink and then set him up in the game room while I chat with Paige for a bit?”

“Sure thing. C’mon Adam our leaders need to have a confab,” Ella replied nodding towards the stairs. I followed behind her, taking one last look at Leilani before heading down.