Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 4

“I am Lady Elizabeth,” Elizabeth said as she stood from the bed. “You weren’t lying lil bro,” Kay said as she moved towards Elizabeth with the bag. “She’s absolutely gorgeous.” Elizabeth blushed but said nothing; the people of this time were more forward than anyone she had ever known. Kevin gave her a small smile and walked towards the window. “I’ll just wait outside until you two are done.” Kay nodded and started unpacking the bag. Inside was a pair of jeans, a pink shirt, and a pair of white ballet slippers. “These should fit you,” Kay said as she laid them out on Elizabeth’s bed. “If not then we’ll just have to make do with it until tomorrow. Then we can take you shopping and you can have some clothes of your own.” Elizabeth nodded and began undressing as Kay helped her into her new clothes. Once she was dressed Elizabeth went over to the full length mirror against the wall.

The shirt clung to her slim figure and accentuated her curves. The jeans showed off her long, thin legs. She turned to Kay and said, “These clothes are immodest, I can not wear these.” “That’s what we wear nowadays, if you don’t wear them people will think you’re different and my dad will find you,” Kay said. “Tomorrow we’ll have to cut your hair as well so no one will recognize you.” Elizabeth nodded reluctantly and turned to Marie and Isabella. “I will miss you both so much,” she said as she hugged them once more with tears in her eyes. They waved to her as the window was shut and Kay and Elizabeth walked silently over to where Kevin was waiting.

When they reached Kevin he turned and looked at Elizabeth. When he saw her his mouth opened slightly and then he smiled broadly at her. “You look lovely, Lady Elizabeth,” he said with a slight bow. “Ok, we don’t have time for the bowing and whatnot. We have to get going before someone sees us,” Kay said as she started walking towards the street. Kevin nodded and took Elizabeth’s hand and walked after his sister. Elizabeth didn’t even notice, she was looking at the new world around her. There were strange monsters sitting on the road, which wasn’t dirt at all, and the ground under her was grey.

“What are those things on the road Kevin?” Elizabeth asked pointing to one of the sleeping monsters. “Those are cars,” Kevin said. “We use them as transportation.” “Do they bite?” Elizabeth asked as she reached out to touch one. “No they won’t bite, but they might make a loud noise if you touch them so be careful,” Kevin cautioned. Elizabeth pulled her hand back from the car before she touched it. She continually asked Kevin questions as they walked. Questions about the road, the concrete, the clothes she was wearing, and the lights above the street. “Everything is so different here, which reminds me. Where are we?” Elizabeth asked Kevin. “We’re in America, or to be more specific Washington D.C.,” Kevin said. “What is America?” Elizabeth asked as she turned to look at Kevin. “It’s a country across the Atlantic Ocean that was discovered about three hundred years after my dad brought you back here,” Kevin said. Elizabeth just gave him a quizzical look and shrugged.

They followed Kay for awhile longer until she turned to one of the houses and started walking up the stairs to the front door. “We’re here,” Kevin said as he followed his sister up the stairs. When they entered the house it was dark except for a light just above a recliner with a woman sitting in it. “Lady Elizabeth, this is my mom, Katrina,” Kevin said. Elizabeth curtsied as the woman stood. She had straight blonde hair and Kevin’s blue eyes. “Call me Kat, Lady Elizabeth,” Katrina said. “I’ll show you to the guest room.” Elizabeth followed Kat up the stairs and into a small room with a bed and one of the picture boxes that Kevin had showed her on the way to the house. “Thank you for taking me in, Kat,” Elizabeth said with another curtsy. “I appreciate your hospitality.” “It’s no problem, Lady Elizabeth. I would do anything for Kevin,” Kat said as she shut the door. Elizabeth laid in the bed and fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning she was woken up by a child’s voice. “She’s so pretty, is she a fairy princess?” the little voice asked as Elizabeth woke. When Elizabeth looked around her bed her eyes stopped on a small girl with blonde curls and dark brown eyes. Standing in the doorway behind the door was Kat. “I’m truly sorry for this, Lady Elizabeth,” Kat said apologetically. “She saw you sleeping and I couldn’t stop her.” “It is quite alright and please call me Elizabeth from now on,” Elizabeth said as she sat up. “I am not a noblewoman anymore.” “Your name’s Elizabeth?” the small girl said as she looked at Elizabeth. “Yes it is,” Elizabeth said as she smiled at the girl. “And what is your name?” “I’m Jessica and I’m four,” the little girl said as she held up her fingers to show that she was telling the truth. “Four? You’re so big I thought you were at least eight,” Elizabeth said in mock surprise. “You’re funny, I’m going to call you Lizzy,” Jessica said as she grabbed Elizabeth’s hand. “Come on Lizzy, let’s go and eat breakfast.”

Elizabeth followed Jessica down the stairs and into the kitchen. Sitting at the table were Kay and Kevin while Kat was making eggs and bacon. Jessica sat in the chair next to Kay and patted at the seat between her and Kevin. “Sit by me,” Jessica said with a toothy grin. Elizabeth smiled back and sat in the chair. “Good morning, Lady Elizabeth,” Kevin said as he smiled at Elizabeth. “I see you’ve met my younger sister, Jessica. Don’t let her cuteness affect you though; she’s got horns under that halo.” Jessica frowned at him and Elizabeth just laughed. “Please don’t call me Lady anymore,” Elizabeth said with her cheeks still red from laughing. “It’ll be less conspicuous. And I need you to teach me your lingo in these parts.” “Yeah,” Kay said. “We’ll have to get that English accent out before school starts, and don’t worry you’ll get use to our language before you know it. Once you’re around it enough you’ll get the hang of it.”

Elizabeth nodded as Kat sat a plate in front of her. After breakfast Kat and Kay went upstairs to change out of their pajamas and Elizabeth went upstairs to brush her hair. After they were done they all hopped inside Kat’s van. Elizabeth was a little hesitant in getting in the van, but after a little coaxing she got in. The entire car ride Elizabeth was glancing around the car and holding onto her seat. “You’ll be fine,” Kay said as she giggled. “I promise the car won’t eat you.” Elizabeth nodded but still held onto her seat. When they arrived at the mall Kay opened the door and Elizabeth leaped out of the car. Then she turned back to see if the car would follow her. “Told you it wouldn’t eat you,” Kay said as they followed Kat into the mall. They went to Aeropostale and bought Elizabeth jeans, t-shirts, polos, and camisoles. Then they went to Payless Shoes and bought her a pair of black Airwalks that had guitars, music notes, and stars on it.

After they were done shopping they drove back to the house. When they got there were two more cars in the driveway. “I guess Kevin’s friends came over to meet you,” Kay said with a grin. Elizabeth smiled and gulped. When they walked inside the house there were two guys and a girl sitting on the couch next to Kevin. Kevin stood and walked over to Elizabeth. “This is Elizabeth,” Kevin said to his friends. “This is Emily, Jason, and Kyle.” The girl stood up and extended her hand to Elizabeth. “I’m Emily Shultz,” she said as she shook Elizabeth‘s hand. Her hair was red and straight and her eyes were hazel. Then the boy with curly brown hair stood. “I’m Jason Peterson,” he said. His emerald green eyes matched his brilliant smile. Finally the boy with short, spiked blonde hair stood. “I’m Kyle Lackner,” he said. His teal eyes seemed to hold some resentment as he looked at her. But, Elizabeth didn’t notice because she was busy looking at the other two. “She’s gorgeous Kevin,” Emily said as she played with Elizabeth’s hair. “Yeah, where can I get one?” Jason asked with a playful grin.

Kevin just laughed at his friends and smiled at Elizabeth. “Now, now,” Kay said as she pulled Elizabeth away from the crowd. “I need to go and cut Elizabeth’s beautiful curls.” “I want to watch and give my opinion,” Emily said as she followed them up the stairs. “Ok, Gabby,” Kay said with a good-natured smile. “I thought her name was Emily,” Elizabeth said as she walked into the bathroom and sat on the chair. “It is, but she talks so much she needed a nickname like Gabby. Right Gabby?” Kay said as she placed a towel around Elizabeth‘s shoulders. “Yep,” Emily said as she brought in a pair of scissors for Kay. “Now how do you feel about shoulder length?” Kay asked Emily as she began to wet Elizabeth’s hair in the sink “Love it,” Emily said as she sat in the chair just outside the door.

While Kay was cutting Elizabeth’s hair Elizabeth began humming. Not a song, but just nonsense humming. When Emily heard her she said, “Man, you’ve got some humming there. What does your voice sound like?” “I don’t really know, I didn’t really get to sing in my time,” Elizabeth said. “Well, when Kat does your enrollment I’ll tell her to put you down for choir. A voice like that can’t be wasted,” Emily said with a smile. “Done,” Kay said as she pulled the towel off of Elizabeth’s shoulders. Elizabeth looked in the mirror and liked what she saw. Her curly brown hair was at her shoulders and the curls were tighter since they weren’t weighed down like they used to be. “Love it,” Elizabeth said imitating Emily’s expression. “See, you’re getting the language down already. Hang out with us and you’ll be speaking like a pro,” Kay said with a wink. Kay placed Elizabeth’s hair in a ponytail and walked with her down to show everyone else.

“Why did you put it up if we’re going to show them?” Elizabeth asked. “Because it’s summer and it can get hot outside here, especially since it’s July. Which reminds me, tomorrow is the Fourth,” Kay said. “I’ll have to have Kevin explain the whole Fourth of July thing.” Elizabeth was going to ask Kay what she meant but then they were in front of everyone and they were all commenting on her new hair. Everyone was happy except Jessica. “It’s too short,” she said with a pout. “Now you can’t be a fairy princess.” “If I didn’t cut it I would have had to go away and then I would have never gotten to see you again,” Elizabeth said to Jessica. “Ok, then I like it,” Jessica said with a small smile. Elizabeth smiled at her and the rest of the group. She already liked this new life in the future; she had more friends and a family. Her future seemed bright for once.