Status: this story is active yet again :)

Sweet Like Sugar

things are changing

A small lamp sat on the table giving very little illumination to the room. On one end sat me, in a chair, slightly terrified, and at the other end, my parents. Mom staring at me, at least I think she is, I can barely see her face. And dad, standing behind her with his arms crossed tapping is foot patiently.

“So, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.”

“This...is ridiculous.”

We were actually just in our kitchen yet again, except my mom had come home and now she wanted full details about how the fight between Zoe and I started, but since neither of us wanted to confess, both for very different reasons, they had gone full detective on us. Dad even put on his cop costume he wore two years ago for Halloween.

“Is the cop costume really necessary?”

“Hey, I spent Fifty bucks on this costume. I’m going to wear it every chance I get.”
“Ignore him.” Mom rolled her eyes and reached out for my hand. “Shug, tell me the truth. Was it Luke?”

“What?”

“If Luke had anything to do with this, just tell me and Zoe will never see him again. I will make sure of it.”

For a second I wonder if my mom had ever been a part of the mafia. I’d never actually met my grandfather before.

Though it was tempting to get rid of him, during the midst of our fight I realized Zoe actually really liked him a lot more than I thought, and thought I still hated her guts right about now, I couldn’t tell the truth. Besides, I didn’t really want to say that he called me the F word to my parents.

“It wasn’t Luke , we were just arguing and it escalated.”

“Liar!” My dad theatrically slammed his fist down on the table. “Tell us the truth.”

Mom sighed. “John, honey….can a have a moment alone with him?”

“But I almost had him.”

“No you didn’t.” I whispered quickly under my breath.

“John, please?”

“Fine. But I’m keeping the costume on.”

When he finally left the room mom pulled her hair out of her pony tail and sat back in her chair.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

No…something is wrong with you and I want to know what it is right now.”

“Mom I—“

“Albie…call it a sixth sense if you want, but I know it’s something. You’re only 14, you’re best friend is gone, you’re starting high school in the fall, your body is going through changes…I just want you to be able to tell me anything. I want to have that relationship with you. I thought we had that…I just don’t know how to help you if you don’t talk to me.”

Hearing her call me Albie sort of made me feel sick. I almost thought she’d forgotten she named me that.

“It’s nothing. I’m sorry I fought with Zoe, it won’t happen again.”

She lets a final sigh, giving up and running her hand tough her brown locks. “What happened to my sweet little Sugar?”

I laughed nervously. “I’m right here.”
She shook her head. “No…you’re changing. It’s happening so fast and I’m missing it. You’re growing up.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?”

She shrugged. “I guess. It still makes me a little sad though.”

I didn’t even notice it. Was I really that different from before? Was it because I was gay?

“I guess we’ll just put this whole fight thing behind us since neither of you want to talk.” She continued. “You’re both sentenced to one week in the slammer. Just...don’t let it happen again, okay?”

“Yes sir, mom sir.”

“And, Shug…”

“Yeah?”

“Apologize to your sister.”

Yeah right. Like I was going to apologize to her. It was all her fault we even fought. If anything she should be apologizing to me. I’m the one who had to miss Finn’s game. He probably hated me now. Or at least thought I was a liar. I promised I’d show up.

I was finally released from questioning and sent back to my cell, which had never been so clean if I do say so myself. I guess there were a few perks of being grounded. I had also just about finished my drawing for Finn as well but I wanted to wait a while to give it to him, just so we’d have a reason to keep meeting each other.

I was almost at my room when Zoe opened her door and pulled me inside of her’s, without missing a beat.

“What’s your problem?”

“What did you tell them?” She pointed a finger in my face.

“Nothing.”

“Did you say anything about Luke?”

“I didn’t tell them anything, Jesus. Can I go now?”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

Her shoulders dropped and she sighed relieved. “Wait, why would you not tell them what he said? My
would’ve freaked you know.”

“I know. But.. you like him so, whatever.”

“Thank you.” She raised an eyebrow while folding her arms across her chest. “So what? You want a prize or something?

“No.”

“You still hate me?”

“Yeah.”

“Seriously?”

I turn around to leave her room but she stops me.

“Jesus, why are you such a drama queen? I’m sorry, okay? Are we good now?”

“You’re not sorry.”

“Uh...yeah I am. I’ve thought it over and… I get it now. Luke really did go too far. I’ll get him to seriously apologize to you too, so love me again, okay?”

I stay silent.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” She smiled and turned around walking back to her bad. “Honestly, Shug you should’ve just told me you were gay to begin with.”
♠ ♠ ♠
happy new year! ( i dnt think I gave his dad a name yet but if i did, im changing it to johnathan. i'll proof read some other time and see if I did or not. also idk about this story anymore just not loving it. I'll most likely finish it since I know what I want ot happen and I already have a plot for a sequel, I just don't know how to write what i want and still have it be funny and interesting and stuff, if you can't tell i've been pulling these last few chapters out of my but and the writing has changed a lot since I started it. it just got worse and worse and i know i can do better but im so stuck and it's so hard. so ultimately I'll end up rewriting most of the chapters after I finish and maybe even changing some things, but keep in mind even though I'm posting it online, this is still just my rough draft of this story. thank for everyone who has read and who likes it so far. you mean the world and i love reading your comments. it makes me feel so much better. please keep them coming.