Big Changes

011:

Chapter Eleven
“So you’re Uncle won’t be mad at me?” Melanie asked and I giggled and shook my head.

“He’ll tease you a lot, but it will never be hurtful, I mean he teases Mary here a lot, so do the others,” I said and Melanie sighed and gave a little nod of her head. Melanie agreed to come to my Uncle’s for dinner, I had to break the news to her about who my Uncle was and who I knew, I was happy to hear that she knew what hockey was and actually was a Flyer fan. Although, I wasn’t really happy to hear that, but she grew up in Philly, I wasn’t really surprised, “Mel, you can’t let her or anyone else get to you.”

“Why won’t she leave me alone? I know I’m quiet and big-“

“You are ‘not’ big! No one is big or skinny, they’re human, so don’t let them get to you, they’re assholes!” I said as I drove to my Uncle’s house after getting into an argument with Kasey this afternoon about making fun of Melanie for being proportionately gifted.

“You know, if we don’t like her, we can have her kicked out, she can become someone else’s problem,” Mary said and I sighed and pulled to a stop at a red light.

“We’ll see, if it gets any worse that’s what we’ll have to do,” I said and Mary nodded her head, “It’s not right that she thinks that she’s better than us and she thinks it’s all right to tease people.”

We pulled up to my Uncle’s home and I smiled when I saw him sitting on the steps wit Kody, waiting for us. I honked the horn towards him and then turned my jeep off. I looked to my side and saw that a car was pulling up next to me, my eyes widened and I snapped my head to my Uncle and saw a bright smile on his face.

“Is that- Holy shit!” Melanie said and I giggled and stepped out of the jeep and walked around it to see Sidney stepping out of his car and smiling towards me.

“What are you doing here?” I giggled and walking over towards him and hugged him.

“Duper invited me; although, I’m starting to see why,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head, “This your other roommate?”

“One of them,” I said and smiled as Melanie got out of the car, “Sid, this is Mel, Mel, this is Sidney Crosby.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said and Melanie nodded her head and shook his hand, “I’m guessing she’s the quiet one?”

“She’s just nervous,” I said and then playfully tapped my hip into his as I grabbed Melanie’s wrist and started to pull her to the house, Mary already being pulled into playing with Kody.

We all walked into the house, after I hugged my Uncle and introduced my roommates to everyone. I was excited to see baby Zoe and Aunt Carol let me hold her as I watched as she finished cooking dinner for Uncle P, Sidney, Melanie, Mary, myself and herself. I supposed that since she was making chicken masala for us, Kody and Maeva were going to be having chicken fingers.

I placed Zoe back in her chair and left the kitchen, only to run into Sidney, “Oh, sorry.”

“It’s all right,” he said and I looked up towards him and smiled, “You have nice roommates.”

“Yeah, at least two out of the three are,” I said and Sidney shrugged his shoulders.

“It happens,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Oh! I have something for you, well, I didn’t know you were coming, I was just going to show you when I saw you next, but-“

“What is it?” he asked and I giggled because I was rambling.

“It’s in the jeep,” I said and he nodded his head. We snuck out the front door, leaving Uncle P showing Mary and Melanie the hockey room. I unlocked my jeep and opened the back of it. I hopped into the back and dangled my feet above the ground, I grabbed my bag and dug through it to find my pad, “I finally finished drawing the layout of your dream home.”

“Really?” Sidney asked and I giggled and nodded my head. He stood in front of me and I opened the pad and turned to the first page. I turned it around and he saw what the first floor could look like, “This is so cool! You’re really good, Kay.”

“Thanks,” I muttered and looked down, trying to hide my blush.

We spoke about his two story four bedroom, three bathroom home, he like the layout, some things he wanted to tweak, but it was an easy fix. Sidney looked stared at my eyes, he seemed to be looking into my soul his stare was so deep, as I was about to say something, he tears away and look back down towards the pad, “Well, um, yeah, this is really cool.”

“Oh, um, yeah thanks,” I said and wanted to hide my face. I took the pad off of him and then hopped out of my jeep, “We should head back.”

“Yeah, uh, you’re right,” Sidney said and I placed the pad in the trunk, closed it up and was about to head back to the house, but was pulled back and pulled into Sidney’s chest. I stared up at him shocked and was nervous and excited to feel his hand on my waist, “Kay, I- I just, um-“

Sidney’s face was close to mine, I was now leaning against my jeep, Sidney blocking me in, I gulped as he stared at me again and it looked at his face was leaning in.

“Sid! Kay! Dinner!” I heard Aunt Carol yell from the porch and I felt Sidney pull away and looked at the ground awkwardly.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean-“

“No it’s all right,” I said and then looked at Sidney, “We’d better get back.”

-Sidney-
‘…What the hell were you thinking? You were going to kiss her! Why were you going to kiss her?...’ I thought and then looked across the table and looked to see Mckayla talking with her roommates, ‘…Why wouldn’t I want to kiss her? She’s beautiful, nice, funny, she makes me feel- Ok, stop! Come on, you need to focus on hockey!...’

“Sidney!” I heard and snapped my head towards the side to see Pascal looking at me, “You all right?”

“Uh, yeah, I’m fine,” I said and he nodded his head and continued to eat.

I looked towards Mckayla again and saw that she was looking at me, we both blushed and looked down towards out food, ‘…Get yourself together, Crosby. How can one girl make me feel like this? Like I would do anything for her…’

We learned that not only did Mckayla have a roommate who was a Rangers fan, her other roommate was a Flyers fan, I think that that was worse. I didn’t say anything about it, but Pascal was teasing her just a little; although, he stopped when he noticed that the girl was not taking it as a joke. That made me remember about how she was always getting teased.

After dinner Carol brought out dessert, but Pascal and I didn’t eat it, she knew that we couldn’t have it. I was quiet for most of the night, trying to catch as many peaks at Mckayla that I could; although, I didn’t understand why I wanted to.

When it was getting late, Mckayla said that she and her roommates were going to head back to school. She hugged all of us and when she got to me, I couldn’t help but want to hold her a little bit longer. We said goodbye to her friends and watched as she pulled out of the driveway.

Pascal slapped me on my back and chuckled towards me, “Boy, you’ve got it bad.”

“What?” I asked and he and Carol laughed.

“You like my niece,” he said and I scoffed and shook my head, “You can say that you don’t, but your face gives you away.”

“Shut up,” I muttered and Pascal laughed harder, ‘…Fuck, what am I going to do?...’

-Mckayla-
“So you and Crosby?” Mary asked from the passenger seat and I looked at her confused, “Oh come on! I saw how he looked at you all night!”

“There was no look, there is no Crosby and I,” I said and Mary snorted, “You’re insane.”

“No, you are sweetie, he’s gorgeous and totally in love with you!” she said and I scoffed.

“Did you secretly take drugs when I wasn’t looking, because you’re high!” I said and Mary sighed.

“Mel! Help me out, please tell me that you saw it,” Mary said and I shook my head and sighed.

“I’m not getting involved in this!” Melanie said and I smiled.

“Thank you, Mel-“

“But I saw the look he was giving you,” Melanie said and Mary laughed and high fived her while I sighed and leaned my head against the steering wheel.

“You’re both crazy,” I said and Mary laughed.

“We shall see about that,” she said and I rolled my eyes and focused on driving.

‘…Am I? I mean, he did try to kiss me…’ I thought as I pulled into the parking lot next to my building and tried to find a parking spot.

When I finally did, I managed to find a pretty decent one too, we walked towards our building her headed towards our floor. As we walked down the hallway to our room, I could hear Melanie pulling out her keys to the apartment.

“I got this,” she said as she stood in front of outdoor and slid the key into the slot.

“Wait,” I said and placed my hand on Melanie’s arm, ‘…Something’s wrong here…’

“What is it?” Mary asked and I pushed her back a little and went to the edge of the door.

“It’s too quiet,” I said and slightly pushed the door opened. I held my other arm back so that Melanie and Mary didn’t go in, and it’s a good thing that they didn’t. As the door opened all the way, a bucket of blue paint fell from the ceiling and splattered all over the ground.

“What the fuck!” Mary yelled and I looked back towards them, “I’m gunna kill her!”

“This is getting ridicules,” Melanie said and I nodded my head.

“How did you know?” Mary asked and I looked up and showed her were I noticed the fishing wire handing from the ceiling, “Damn girl.”

“I have a lot of cousins that like to play pranks, I got this.”

“If that fell on me and ruined my clothes- No, it doesn’t matter! I’m gunna kill her!” Mary said and then walked into the room, avoiding the paint on the floor.

“Go get the RA,” I told Melanie and then headed into the room after Mary, ‘…This is going to be a long year together if I have to deal with this bullshit!...’