Big Changes

020:

Chapter Twenty
“I can’t wait to see you!” I said as I spoke on the phone with my Uncle.

“I know, only one more day,” he said and I smiled and saw my roommates looking at me as I sat on the couch, “How many of your friends are you bringing?”

“There’s only two of us, two of my roommates can’t make it, they have something to do this weekend and then my other two friends were going home,” I said as Alicia plopped on the couch next to me and smiled, “Tell the guys I can’t wait to see them again!”

“Will do, kiddo. Remember to get your tickets at Will Call, love you.”

“All right, love you too!” I said and then hung up the phone and looked at my roommate, “You ready to go to Chicago?”

“I am so excited!” she said and I laughed, “Too bad the others couldn’t make it.”

“I know, I was hoping Danny would come,” I said and Alicia smiled and nudged her elbow into my arm, “Shut up.”

“You and Danny are getting really close, what’s going on there?” she asked and I sighed.

“I don’t know, I’ve been here for almost two months,” I said and then sighed, “He’s really nice and funny and-“

“Gorgeous!” Alicia said and I laughed.

“Hey, you have Ben!” I said and Alicia smiled and nodded her head.

It was the end of February and things were going really well, I was enjoying Michigan and my new friends were great. I felt like my life was back on track and my classes were going well.

“So what time are we leaving tomorrow?” Alicia asked and I smiled.

“Um, well the game is at eight thirty. I wanna be on the road by two thirty,” I said and Alicia nodded her head.

“Right after class,” she said and I smiled, “It was nice of your Uncle to hook us up with a hotel room and everything.”

“Yeah, he’s awesome,” I said and she giggled and nodded her head.

There was a knock on the door and I got up and walked over. I opened the door and saw Danny and Ben there, I had a feeling it was them because they’re over a lot.

“Hey Kayla!” Ben said as he smiled towards me and then walked into the room, heading over towards Alicia.

“Hey Ben,” I said and then smiled towards Danny, “Hey Danny.”

“Hey, you doing anything?” he asked and I shook my head, “You want to get something to eat?”

“Sure where?”

“There’s a new burger joint on the strip that just opened,” he said and I smiled.

“Does it accept the dining dollars because I’m broke,” I said as I meant the money that was on my student I.D.

“I’ll cover ya,” he said and I tilted my head and smiled towards him.

“Danny, you don’t have to-“

“Just go with him already!” Ben yelled and I laughed and then looked towards Danny.

“Alone time?”

“Alone time,” Danny said and I sighed and then closed the door a little so that I could grab my jacket.

“Onward, slave!” I teased and Danny chuckled and watched as I pulled my jacket on. Danny was walking in front of my down the hall towards the elevator. Just as he was about to turn the corner, I ran towards him and jumped onto his back, but because he was so tall, I missed and slid down.

“What are you doing?” Danny chuckled and I laughed and shrugged my shoulders.

“Piggie back ride!” I said and he laughed and bent down.

“Get on,” he said and I cheered and then jumped onto his back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he held onto my thighs as he hit the elevator button with his foot and we waited.

“How tall are you?” I asked and Danny chuckled.

“I’m about six five,” he said and I sighed, “Why?”

“You’re eight inches taller than me!” I said and he chuckled.

“Yeah, I guess so,” he said as the door opened and we walked onto the empty elevator and then bent down so that I could press the second floor button, that was the floor that we got off if we wanted to go to the parking garage.

We walked over towards Danny’s truck and I slid off of his back and walked towards the passenger side. I hopped into his truck and he turned it on, the engine roaring to life. He quickly put the heat on since it was really cold outside and we waited for a little bit before he backed out and started to drive out of the parking garage.

“So, since the two of them are going to be together for a while, What else do you want to do? Being at the burger joint won’t take too long,” I said and Danny shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know, you wanna go see a movie?” he asked and shrugged my shoulders.

“Sure, which one?”

“Friday the thirteenth just came out like last week,” he said and I sighed.

“A horror movie, really?” I asked and Danny smirked.

“Hell yeah,” he said and I laughed and shook my head, “Come on.”

“All right, all right!” I laughed and sighed, “You win.”

“Cool,” he said and then smirked towards me as he stopped at a red light, “So what time are you and Alicia leaving for Chicago?”

“Right after class.”

“Why are you going again?” he asked and I looked down.

“We’re going to see a hockey game, my Uncle got us tickets. I asked if you wanted to go,” I said and Danny nodded his head.

“Yeah, but I have to go home this weekend, my mom and dad are going out of town with my sister and I agreed to watch my niece,” Danny said and I smiled towards him and nodded my head.

“How old is your niece?”

“Almost a year old,” he said and I giggled.

“I love babies, they’re so cute,” I smiled and Danny smirked towards me.

“Maybe you can come with me some time,” Danny said and I smiled and nodded my head.

-Sidney-
“Have you heard from Kay, Duper?” Cooke asked Pascal and my head perked up at the hearing of Mckayla’s name.

“Yeah, I just got off the phone with her a little while ago, we’ll see her soon, she and her friend are coming to the Blackhawks game,” Pascal said and I looked down and was happy to hear that she was going to be there.

“Yeah, she told me that she was going to be there!” Jordan said and I looked towards her and felt a little pull in my heart that she had told Jordan and not me.

“She told me that she Skype’d with you,” Kris said and I sighed and shook my head.

‘…Why hasn’t she texted me?...’ I thought as I packed my things in my bag.

“Sid, did you talk to Kay?” Jordan asked and I looked at him and shook my head, “She said that she texted you.”

I looked at him confused and then grabbed my bag and pulled out my phone, my heart dropping as I saw that I had three missed texts and a phone call from Mckayla. I felt really bad for not answering her messages.

“Sid?” Kris asked and I shook my head.

“I feel like an idiot,” I said and sighed, “I’ve been so busy I forgot to even look at my phone.”

“That suck, well you’ll see her tomorrow,” Jordan said and I smirked and nodded my head.

‘…I can’t wait to see her…’ I thought and then texted Mckayla back apologizing for not answering sooner and that I couldn’t wait to see her tomorrow.

-Mckayla-
“Why, why, why?” I practically yelled while sitting in the top row in the movie theater, watching Friday the 13th with Danny, “Why do they have to be so stupidly predictable?”

Danny chuckled and then covered my mouth because I was being louder than I thought I was being, I apologized and then we laughed a little. I looked back towards the screen and then Jason, the murderous man, popped out of nowhere, scaring me and making me scream and jump.

“Are you all right?” Danny chuckled as I looked down and saw that I was practically on his lap.

“Sorry,” I smiled and then sat back in my chair and watched the movie. I felt Danny’s arm move to the top of my chair, behind my back, I looked towards him and he looked nervous but wasn’t looking at me. I looked down and smiled, I felt surprisingly comfortable with him, I surprised myself when I moved the armrest in-between us and leaned into him.

After the movie ended, Danny and I headed back to school, he parked his truck and we walked back to the apartment. I jumped onto his back for another piggy back ride and people looked at us weirdly as we walked into the residence hall. While in the elevator, we stood with two other people like nothing was happening. The one guy looked at me and chuckled.

“How’s the weather up there?”

“Hot,” I said and he smirked. The elevator stopped at my floor and Danny walked off and headed towards my apartment. Danny and Ben lived in the same hall, just on different floors. I slid off of Danny’s back as he stopped in front of my door, “Thanks for a fun night, Danny.”

“No problem, I hope we were out long enough for Ben and Alicia to get their time in,” he said and I giggled and nodded my head. I unlocked my door and was about to walk in when Danny called my name. I turned around and saw that he looked nervous of something, “Um,” he said and I closed the door a little bit. Danny ran his fingers through his hair and then bent down, his hand on the side of my neck and he pressed his lips against mine.

I smiled and ended up dropping my purse, my keys still in the door. I wrapped my arms around his neck, heard the door close as Danny picked me up and leaned me against the door. I was definitely enjoying the height difference.

Danny placed me back on the ground, both of us smiling. I was biting my bottom lip and leaning against the door, “If I don’t see you before you leave, have fun in Chicago.”

“Thanks, you have fun babysitting,” I said and he chuckled and nodded his head.

“I’ll see you, Kayla,” he said and I nodded my head. Danny was about to walk away, but came back and pressed his lips against mine again. I giggled and kissed him back, only to feel the door behind me opening and I was falling back.

“Wow, get a room,” I heard and looked up, being tilted from Danny catching me from almost falling to the ground.

“Let’s go, Ben,” Danny said as he stood me up and smirked towards me, “I’ll talk to you later.”

“All right,” I smiled and watched as he and Ben walked down the hall. I leaned against the doorway and watched as they left. Just as they were about to turn the corner, Danny turned back, smiled and waved towards me. I squealed and then walked into the room only to be stopped from three girls smiling brightly towards me.

“Details NOW!!!”