Trophy Fathers, Trophy Son

Trophy Fathers, Trophy Son - Kellic (Chapter Five!)

Chapter five

The next morning came far too quickly. The sun shining in through my windows made me come to the realization that I wasn’t dead. Sigh. I slowly lifted my eyes and glanced at the time. 8:47 PM. Shit. Had I really slept almost all day? Thankfully I’d locked my door so my dad couldn’t burst in. If he was even home? My phone vibrating on my bedside table made me wake a little more. I gave a few yawns before sliding my finger across my screen. One new message – number unknown.

“Hey it’s Vic.” –Vic

I was instantly completely awake. My heart skipped probably 20 beats, if that’s even humanly possible. My lips pulled upward into a small smile. Vic texted me. I know he said he was going to but, he actually did.

“Hi. How’s it going? Sorry I just woke up.” –Kellin

“No worries. Hey wanna come chill for a bit before the guys get here?” –Vic

I honestly didn’t even need any time to think about my answer.

“Sure. (: Be there in 10.” –Kellin

“Of course. Not all of us can be that “hot”. Haha. Just knock when your here. (:” –Vic

I think my face was probably ever shape of red possible. Did he just call me hot?! No, surely not. He must have been joking right? Stop Kellin. Calm down and don’t over think this. I got dressed, brushed my teeth and hair, all within a lightening time. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten ready that fast before in my entire life. I had to be really careful today though. My cuts… I had to be sure to wear something unsuspicious. A blue flannel should do the trick. My stomach hurt really badly from where my dad kicked me last night, but the thought of hanging out with Vic today made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I dashed down stairs only to find my worthless father passed out on the couch. A beer still connected with his hands. I almost wished he had fallen off into a ditch last night and just died… I snapped myself out of my homicidal thoughts and crept outside. I made my way over to the Fuentes house just as Mr. and Mrs. Fuentes were pulling out of the drive way. I gave him a quick wave and knocked on the door. Not a second later I was being greeted with Mike’s goof ball cheerful face.

“Hey dude! Come in.” He said with beaming eyes, grabbing my shoulder and pulling me inside the house without warning.

My eyes examined every wall. The atmosphere here was nice. It was calm and homey. Not at all like mine and my dads house. I wish my house felt like this home. My eyes darted everywhere, seeing every photo and every piece of art, only for them to fall on Vic, sitting at the bar smiling up at me, our eyes instantly connected and I tried my hardest not to look too terribly awkward.

“Uh hey” I said shyly glancing from Vic to my firmly planted spot by the door.

Vic got up and walked over towards me, ”Hey yourself” he said with a perfect smile. “You hungry? I was just about to make some pancakes” pointing over to what I assumed to be the kitchen.

“Pann-CAKES! I want some!!” Mike yelled back from the couch. “Make like fucking 50!”

I couldn’t help but to chuckle at Mike. I mean seriously. He was a skinny pole yet he ate like a sumo wrestler. I nodded my head, “Pancakes?” I questioned with curiosity, suddenly realizing I was fucking starving too. Vic shook his head eagerly and I said “Sure man. Sound perfect. I’ll help.”

Vic let out a laugh at his obnoxious baby brother sitting on the couch chanting ‘Pancakes! Pancakes’ and motioned for me to follow him. We walked into the doorway Vic and just came out of. It led into a massive kitchen.

“Whoa” I said quietly as we walked into the other room.

“Humm?” Vic questioned turning his full attention on me.

In immediate embarrassment I spoke “Oh. Uh. Your home. It’s just really beautiful. I like everything and uh it’s just cozy” with a shrug and a smile.

He looked delighted at my words and said, “Thanks Kellin. That’s really nice of you to say.” Then walked over to a cabinet and grabbed a few things. I followed close behind him.

“What can I do?” I asked with a bit of excitement in my tone. “I always cook for my dad, so I can be of some assistance.”

Vic looked at me with an impressed look and spoke, “Here mix this with this and I’ll grab a pan” handing me what I knew to be a mixer.

I nodded and did as I was told while Vic searched around in a bottom cabinet for a pan. He turned the stove top on and waited for it to get hot, scanning his hand over the top every few seconds. He took the mix I so ‘professionally’ mixed and proceeded to cook. We fell into a silence, but it wasn’t awkward. The silence was nice, almost meditating. I just leaned back against the doorway and watched him in amusement. How he delicately flipped the pancake. Was that weird? I’m watching this guy cook… God. But I just couldn’t take my eyes off him. His muscles were just flawless. With every flip, I could see them more in depth. His hair was lying untouched under his hat. Too soon though, I was smacked out of my thoughts. Literally smacked, on the shoulder. I jumped and snapped my head around to see Mike prancing through the kitchen doorway with a smirk plastered on his face.

“God. Hurry up Mrs. Fuentes.” Mike taunted, laughing at his own words. “I’m fucking starving.”

Vic shot his an evil glare. Why did he call him “Mrs.”? It must have been a joke between brothers. I shrugged it off just as Vic was flipping the last of the pancakes. He grabbed the plate of hot steamy cakes and led me into the dining room.

“Mike grab some plates and the syrup!” Vic called to his brother.

As I was pulling my chair out to sit down, Vic appeared behind me and pulled it out the rest of the way… Oh my god. It’s not even butterflies anymore, its fucking dolphins flipping in my tummy. The Mexican boy was so polite; surly he would have done this for everyone though right? Just as Vic pulled my chair out, Mike came walking out with three plates, silverware and the syrup with a profound smirk on his face at the situation going on in the dining room.

“Oh uh. Thanks.” I said with extremely blushed cheeks and a shy smile. Vic just nodded and smiled back sitting beside me. Mike on the other hand couldn’t stop grinning. I couldn’t understand why he grinned so much at Vic and me? Did he know something I didn’t?

We ate our food but most defiantly not in silence. Mike being his usual cheery self, didn’t allow one moment to be silent. He mostly gibbered about bands or their parents leaving for this weekend or food he loved or girls. Girls I most certainly had no interest in. Although I did notice something odd, every time Mike would mention a “really hot girl” Vic rolled his eyes.

“Kellin my man.” Mike said in a serious tone, laying his fork down and placing both his elbows on the table as if he were about to interrogate me. “I saw you had Jenna McDougall in your homeroom. What’da think about her? Cute right?” Mike asked with a raised eyebrow and a cheeky sneer. I glanced at Vic, not entirely sure what to say. His eyes were penetrating is brother like daggers from across the table. I could tell he was grinding his teeth and could practically feel the heat rolling off of him. Did Vic and Jenna have a past or something? Was this some sort of test? I couldn’t dare say ‘Oh no! I’m gay! Strictly dickly. Please pass the syrup’ now could I?! I honestly didn’t know what to say. Anxiety rose in my chest and I pretty much panicked.

“She’s uh – I um. Well she’s not exactly m-my type. You know” I said while gulping some juice, silently prying Mike would drop this conversation immediately.

“Oh! You mean blondes. Right man, duh. I knew you had to be a brunet kinda guy” Mike said with a wink and with that he got up from the table and took his plate into the kitchen and dashed upstairs. Vic and I just sat there for a moment in complete silence, neither one of us moving a muscle. Thankfully he broke the silence first.

“I’m sorry Kellin. He just – He’s just noisy. He always gets into people’s business. Sorry” Vic apologized finally looking up at me, biting his bottom lip. I swear to god I melted into his brown eyes. They were perfect. He was perfect.

“N-no. It’s okay. I – she’s just not uh. Shit. I’m to fucking weird…” I trailed off. “No I’m sorry. I just freak when the light in shinned onto me.” I spoke softly and sighed, starring back down at my lap. I felt so stupid and embarrassed, over such a dumb question!!

Suddenly I felt a hand on my chin pulling it upwards. My eyes followed the movement and I was looking into Vic’s eyes. “Don’t be sorry Kellin, weird is perfect in my book” he said with a smile. “Come’on, let’s go upstairs. The guys should be here soon.”

The walk upstairs was simply quiet. All that was running through my mind was the fact Vic had put his hand on my chin and brought our eyes together. That was the most delightful moment ever. When we finally reached what I assumed to be Vic’s room, he opened it and allowed me in first. I took everything in at once. There were posters everywhere, but compared to most teenage boys room, it was extremely neat. He plopped down on his bed and before he could motion for me to sit I seen something that completely blew my mind.

"You play?" I asked, grinning from ear to ear at the acoustic guitar lying against the window.

"Oh - yeah. Well, more like ‘try’. I’m not that great” he said rubbing his hand over the back of his neck and looking down at his lap as if he were embarrassed.

I eyed him, hesitating at first but then asked "Oh please play me something. Anything. I love music and I’d love to hear you play. And I promise I won’t laugh or anything. Plus you can’t be that bad" with a reassuring smile.

Something about Vic being a musician made me want to giggle like a school girl. And god that look he gets when he is embarrassed was possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life! What the fuck was it about this guy that turned my insides to mush?!

Vic looked up at me with a hint of uncertainty in his eyes. So I took charge of the situation. I glided over to the beautiful instrument and picked it up like you would a puppy. I made my way over to Vic who was watching me with something different in his eyes that I had never seen before. I handed him the guitar. "Play. Please. For me” I said sitting next to him.

Vic looked from me to the guitar and positioned himself in playing position. “I’ve never played in front of anyone but Mikey. So if I suck…” I cut him off before he could say anything else. “I don’t care if you suck Vic, just play the damn thing” I said with a satisfying tone, since I obviously just won this fight. He sighed and closed his eyes and began to play.

“She sits up high surrounded by the sun
One million branches and she loves every one
“Mom and dad, did you search for me?
I’ve been up here so long I’m going crazy”

And as the sun went down we ended up on the ground
I heard the train shake the windows
You screamed over the sound
And as we own this night
I put your body to the test with mine
This love was out of control
3-2-1 where did it go?”

Vic looked up at me with fear in his eyes. “See I told you I suck” he said completely losing his confidence, tossing his guitar on his bed looking around mindlessly. I was honestly star struck. His voice sounded like pure gold. How in the hell did he think he was horrible?! I thought he was just going to play the guitar. I had no idea he could sing! I could tell my silence was making him even more restless.

“Are you fucking kidding me Victor Fuentes?!” I said in a booming tone. “You were completely, 100% awesome. I thought you were just gonna play, but you can sing too?” softening my tone, dramatically. Vic kept his eyes on the ground, so I decided to do something he had done to me. I took my hand and connected it to his chin, forcing him to look up at me. Our eyes connected once again and I felt that same spark.

“You were amazing Vic. I promise. I would never lie about that. You should play more and more. Talent like that shouldn’t be wasted. And I need you to know how good you were. Honestly.” I said with a soft smile. That seemed to be exactly what Vic needed to hear, his eyes were beaming now and he looked so much more confident in himself. I liked seeing him confident. I was going to ask him to play again, but his bedroom door swung open and in stepped Mike, Tony and Jaime. Immediately jumping up from the bed, Vic and I starred at the boys. Tony and Jaime gave us a confused look at I was sure they were about to question why the hell Vic and I were gleaming into each other’s eyes, but Mike interrupted faster than normal.

“Dude! Let’s gooooooo. Booz have arrived!” Mike shouted and grabbed Tony and Jaime before they could react to the scene that they had just walked in on.

I glanced at Vic and he was already staring at me with completely happy filled eyes. His smile quickly faded and turned upset and said “You drink right? I’m so sorry. I completely forgot to ask. You don’t have to drink if you don’t want too. I won’t drink either, shit. I can’t believe I forgot to mention that. The guys were supposed to bring a hella lot of it” Now he was pacing around his room with frustration on his face. I walked over to him quickly grabbing his attention

“Vic, Vic its fine.” I said with a chuckle at how cute he was when he was flustered. “I drink. You drink. We all drink. I don’t mind. Honest.” His upset look was gone and he grinned. “You sure?” he questioned.

I didn’t even answer him; I simply proceeded to bolt down stairs, Vic hot on my heels. We both came down laughing like total idots. The first thing I noticed was Tony and Jaime watching us with such confusion. But shit, I was more confused than they were! I mean damn, I might be falling for this kid and I literally just met him yesterday and who is probably straight. What the hell?!

“Who all’s coming?” Mike shouted to Tony over the already loud music.

Vic snapped his head up and shot back “Who else? I thought it was just gonna be the guys Mike?”

Mike looked a bit guilty. “Oh, Vic. Haha. Funny story.” Mike said taking a giant sip of his liquor. “Well um you see, the thing is… I may have or may have not spread the word around school that we had an empty house. And it may have or may have not escalated to a party. A big ass party.”

Vic looked so pissed, but before he could snap Mikes neck, the doorbell rang. Jaime ran over to the door and parted it, in walked about 15 people, most of who I recognized from school. Shit. I hate a lot of people. I immediately felt awkward. But I didn’t exactly know what to do, so I just stood there. Vic had stormed over to Mike and appeared to be completely fussing him out. I made out a few things though ‘Mike you know I hate parties’ and ‘who the fuck is gonna clean up all this shit’ and even ‘I swear to god, I might kill you’.

I slowly made my legs move and snuck into the empty kitchen, out of sight. If I was going to survive tonight, I would need alcohol. A fucking lot. See, I really hate parties. Even back home in Michigan, I never went to them. I’m just not the “social butterfly” type. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see more people coming into the Fuentes house. I grabbed two beers out of an abandoned cooler. As soon as I stepped foot out of the kitchen, I saw people taking shots, Mike sucking faces with some girl and people dancing on the coffee table. I honestly had to take a step back and gather that people were already completely wasted.

I sighed softly taking it all in.

A familiar voice coming from behind me made me jump. “Your fucking telling me” Vic said with anger in his tone. “Sorry Kells, if you wanna go, no hard feelings man. I didn’t know Mike was throwing this.”

But instead of turning and running for the door which did in fact cross my mind, I handed him a beer and proceeded to walk back upstairs. I turned back to see Vic looking at me with wonder in his eyes, so I motioned my hand for him to follow me. It was a lot quieter upstairs than down. No yelling, drunk teenagers. I slowly walked into Vic’s room, he following right behind me.

“I have no interest in parties. Like no interest with a passion.” Vic said as he shut his door.

I gave a little chuckle, “Mike obviously does though. You guys are like really different, huh?”

“Way more than you know.” Vic sighed at fell onto his bed. “I mean it’s not that I hate those people down there, they just seem to hate me. I uh, I’m not very sociable. Stupid right?”

“No!” I snapped back at him. “It’s not stupid. Why do you think I came back up here? Smart ass” I laughed. I heard him let out a snicker and fall back to his bed.

I gazed out Vic’s window and noticed how extremely beautiful it was that night. A thought popped into my head and before I thought it though I asked “Wanna go for a walk with me?” Instantly my face went hot and I regretted my question, because I mean why would Vic want to go for a walk with me? He has a party here and, of course he wouldn’t want to!! Damn it Kellin, nice job.

“I’d love to.” Vic said with a wide smile looking me dead in my eyes. There that look was again. The one I had seen earlier while he was playing the guitar. I can’t understand that look he gives me?

With that, we both got up and tracked back down stairs to the land of drunken teenagers and loud music. “Wait here really quick.” Vic said when we reached the bottom step. I nodded and Vic ran over to Mike and said something to him, apparently it was about me because Mike looked up at me and back to Vic and just grinned that evil grin I’ve come to know Mike for. Vic noticed him grinning and punched him in the shoulder which I heard Mike yell “Oww bro!” Vic laughed made his way through the people, back to me

“Ready” he asked and ushered me towards the door. We left the loud house quickly and quietly. We got pretty much down the drive way before either of us spoke.

“What’d you say to Mike back there?” I thought aloud.

Vic instantly tensed up a little, almost as if I just asked him something he really didn’t wanna answer. But why? “Oh, I just told him we were gonna go for a walk and that you didn’t like parties either. I didn’t want him to worry, you know.” I just nodded and let the subject drop. It was kind of hot that night, and of course my flannel didn’t help the issue.

“Hey. I know exactly where I wanna go.” Vic said cheerfully. “Come ‘on!”

I hurried along with Vic up to some kind of hill. He helped me up it and this led us walking further into the woods. “Uh V-Vic?” I shuddered. “If you wanted to kill me man, I wouldn’t have minded it back in public view.”

“Now why would I ever wanna kill you? I mean come ‘on. You? Whom I just met and actually can stand to be around? Never!” Vic shot back in a sarcastic tone. “No it’s just this little creek I always go to. It’s not that far, promise” He said with a shrug.

We walked in silence for a few more moments and we did, indeed come to a creek. But it was a lot bigger than any normal creek. It was so beautiful. The starts and moon shined down just perfectly on the water and it sent shivers up my spine.

“Whoa. This place is beautiful. How did you find it?” I asked turning back to see him standing there, gazing at me. The moon shinned just dashingly upon his hair and I swear it felt like a story book scene.

I must have snapped Vic out of his thoughts because he shook his head and said “I just kind of came up on it one day. I’ve never seen anyone out here before, so I just guessed nobody knows about it. Well except for you now” with a lift of his eye brows and a kick of dirt with his shoe.

“You’ve never brought a girl out here before?” I asked honestly not sure if I wanted to know the answer to that

Vic looked at me with curiosity and furrowed his brows. “Oh yeah all the time. I love bringing her here.”

My heart practically sank and I felt completely stupid and so ignorant. Why had I even begun to think I might be interested in Vic and more importantly he being interested in me? Shit, I’m so stupid sometimes. I can’t read people worth a hell. My face obviously showed my disappointment because before I could get another word out Vic broke the awkward silence.

“My guitar Kells. I bring her here a lot. It’s the only place I can really play in peace.” He said with a shrug as he sat down on a rock placed so conveniently in front of the water. My heart though, instantaneously felt life again! I slowly walked over and sat beside him, I felt so happy in his presence. God I wish I could just read his head!! I wish I knew what he was thinking.

“Oh. Right. Sorry. So much for me not being noisy. I’m not the brightest sometimes; I just talk and say stupid shit when I’m nervous. Like… I’m basically doing now. Nice Kellin, nice. Sorry. I ramble too much. I’ve been told that a lot. Listen Vic I…” But before I could say another sound, Vic grabbed my neck and connected our lips together. My mind was all over the place. What was happening? I hesitated for about a half of a second and melted into the kiss. His lips were softer than anything I’ve ever laid my lips upon. I ran my fingers through his hair and it felt like it was just he and I on this planet. His hands slowly went to my hips and panic rose in my stomach. Panic he must have noticed because he immediately pulled away.

We looked at each other, panting with wide eyes trying to figure out what exactly just happened. Vic jumped up away from me like he had just killed someone. He looked more panicked than I was. I didn’t know why. Did I do something wrong? Had I not done something right?

"Vic, W-whats wrong?" I pleated.

“Shit. No shit. Kellin. Fuck I’m sorry. I - I was just forget that just happened.” Vic said beginning to look a bit distressed. Why did he want to forget? What had I done? I still couldn’t move. My legs decided they didn’t want to work anymore. “This can’t happen. Not again. This didn’t happen. No it can’t. I can’t do this. Fuck!” Vic sounded angry at this point and he didn’t look any different.

“Forget?” I spoke softly. “Forget? Why though Vic? I don’t want to forget” I said with a frown. Finally finding my legs and walking cautiously towards him only for him to back up more.

“Well fucking do Kellin! Shit. Fucking never, no. I can’t. We can’t. T-this can’t happen. No it cant.” He yelled at me. He actually just yelled at me. He kissed me and now he is yelling at me? I looked at him in shock. My heart felt like it was being torn from my chest.

It didn’t take long for me to register. “Fine Vic. Fuck you!” I screamed back at him as I turned at ran out of the woods. I heard him faintly calling to me ‘I’m sorry’ or ‘Stop Kellin please’. But I didn’t stop. I didn’t stop running until I was back at my house. I busted into the house crying and panting, not even caring my father was sitting there.

“Boy! Where the fuck have you been?!” My dad slurred his words.

I didn’t stick around to answer. I shot upstairs and ran as fast as I could to my room, locking the door behind me. I can’t do this. Why had Vic said those things to me? Why did he kiss me and say those things?! I was sobbing uncontrollably. Tears I shed for a guy I haden’t known long. Why though? Why did he do that? What had I done wrong? Finally, I thought I had found someone to take my mind away from everything but all I just wanted to fall asleep and never wake up.