Status: a work in progress!

I Want Crazy

Four.

I peek up from over my book to see Jake standing in the doorway. “Hey,” I greet. He launches himself over me and onto the other side of my bed. “Yeah, have a seat.” We share a laugh.
“What book this time?”
“Silver Linings Playbook. It’s pretty good so far.” I stick the bookmark in my book and close it.
“Didn’t they make a movie out of that?” I nod. “So why not just see the movie?”
“Jake…this is me you’re talking to. When do I ever see the movie before I’ve read the book?”
Jake laughs. “That’s true.” My phone buzzes on the bedside table, and I pick it up to look at who is calling. I roll my eyes and hit ignore.
“I haven’t talked to him for almost a week,” I tell Jake. Jake stays quiet, waiting for me to expand on the previous sentence. “Just keep doing what you’re doing, kid.” A small smile finds my lips when I see his expression. He’s trying so hard not to smile, but he can’t not. And it’s contagious.
“Are you ever going to talk to him, though?” Jake wonders.
I nod. “Eventually. When I want to. I don’t really want to.” Jake laughs.
Jake and I spend the day laying around my house, watching movies and talking. “I’ll see you tomorrow?” Jake wonders as we head towards my door.
“Yeah, absolutely,” I respond with a smile.
“Good. Sleep well, Beth.” He smiles, too, and heads out the door.

I embrace Jake tightly. “I’ll see you over spring break, yeah?” Jake assures me. I clutch to his shirt tightly, not wanting to say goodbye to my best friend.
“Thank you, Jake…for being so patient with me. You’ve no idea what it means to me.” He kisses the top of my head.
“Love you, Beth. I’ll see you in a few weeks.” He lets me go and smiles.
I spend all of the plane ride thinking about how to approach this talk I still haven’t had with Mason. One of my sorority sisters is picking me up from the airport, and he’s coming over tonight to talk.
“Beth, hey!” Kelsey greets with a big smile as she wraps me in a tight hug. “How was your break?”
“So good.”
“Are you excited to see Mason?” She winks and jokingly sends me a kissy face.
“We’re kind of fighting. So, not really.”
“Oh no! What happened? You two are, like, my favorite couple on campus.”
“Just a misunderstanding. I’m sure we’ll be fine.”
And I was wrong. We’re in my bedroom screaming at each other. “Fuck you, Mason! I never did anything with Jake!”
“Yeah, well, I fucked Chandler. So, we’re even for whatever you’re lying to me about,” Mason snaps back.
And my heart shatters. I know Jake can feel it, too, because my phone buzzes on my side table immediately. Mason picks it up and looks at the name.
“Really? You’re fucking kidding me.” He answers the phone. “Yeah, is this Jake?...I better not see you ever, otherwise you’re dead to me. Thinking you can try and steal my girlfriend, you son of a bitch—“
“Mason, give me the phone,” I beg, trying to take the phone from him.
“Beth, fuck off!” Mason goes to swat my hand away roughly, but the back of his hand collides with the side of my face. The phone falls to the floor.
And everything goes silent between us.
“Oh my god, babe. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean—“
“Go.” I point at the door, and he just stares at me. “Fucking leave, Mason! Get out of my room, get out of my life. Jake’s twice the man that you’ll ever be. Who are you to think you can hit a girl and get away with it?”
“Babe, it was an accident. I swear!”
“Get out. I don’t want to see you again.” Mason’s expression hardens, and his face turns bright red. He shouts in frustration as his fist collides with the wall in my room. His hand breaks through the drywall, and he slams the door on his way out. I pick up the phone and press it to my ear. “Jake?”
“I’m here,” he replies. He waits a moment to see if I’m going to say anything, but as soon as he knows I’m not going to, he sends the questions flying. “Are you okay? Did he hurt you? Do I need to come get you?”
“I’m fine, Jake. I-I think it was an accident.”
Jake scoffs. “There’s no accident in hitting someone, Beth. I swear to God if he hurt you—“
“I promise I’m fine. He did more damage to my wall than he did to me.” I shake my head and pinch the bridge of my nose as I feel the tears start to brim in my eyes. “Jake…” The all too familiar feeling of heartbreak overtakes me.
“I’m right here, Beth. I know.”
He stays on the phone with me and listens as I cry and then cry harder because I know how much this hurts Jake. It might hurt him more than it hurts me.

The past month has kind of been like the first layer of Hell, with this whole Mason breakup and being separated from Jake and losing a lot of friends with the loss of my relationship with Mason. He goes out of his way to make me miserable. Yet, we still end up together on the weekends.
So, instead of going out with everyone like I would any other Friday night, I decide to stay in. And because I still haven’t heard anything about the fight today. I don’t remember Bella, and I didn’t go out of my way to visit her over break. But she’s apparently caused quite the commotion in all three worlds we live in. The pack is protecting our home while the Cullens are protecting Bella against this newborn army.
I don’t know much of the details only because I didn’t want to. He wouldn’t say it, but I could feel it when he told me about it. This fight wasn’t going to be pretty, and someone could get seriously hurt. Or killed.
It’s put me on edge for most of the day, and it makes me even more nervous that I haven’t heard from anyone all day.
My phone rings, and I immediately snatch it up. It’s Embry. “Hey, Em,” I greet calmly.
“Beth, it’s Jake,” Embry begins. My stomach drops. “He…you need to come home.”
“Embry, what happened?” I demand.
“You need to come home. He’s not doing well.”
“What happened!”
“He shattered all the bones on one side of his body.” I hear painful screams from the background.
“Oh my god, is that him?” Embry doesn’t answer, leaving the silence to be filled with what I can hear from the background of his end of the call. “Embry?”
“Please come home.”
“I’m on my way.” I hang up and immediately scramble out of bed, pulling on some yoga pants and a large sweatshirt. I stuff anything I might need into a backpack and rush into the common area. “Georgia, I need a huge favor,” I request, trying to keep as calm as possible. Georgia looks up from the TV at me.
“Sure, what’s up?”
“I need a ride to the airport.”
“Now?”
“If you have the time. I’ll pay you for gas.”
“Yeah, that’s fine.”
The entire ride is silent, and Georgia wishes me safe travels and to let her know when I’ll be back.
It takes all night, but I finally get a flight out at 5am. Embry is there to pick me up when I land at 7.
“You look like shit,” he tells me.
I shrug. “I haven’t slept. How is he?”
Embry shakes his head. “Not good.” He drives me to Jake’s house and chases after me as I practically sprint towards the door. “Beth, wait!” He stops me and turns me around to face him. “Please, anything you say to him, be gentle.”
I don’t even answer. I just yank my arm from his grasp and walk right in. Sam, Billy, and Carlisle Cullen are standing in the living room chatting quietly. “Beth,” Sam states in shock.
“Where is he?” I question.
“His room,” Billy answers. I rush down the hallway, and from outside of the door I can hear soft groans. I slowly push open the door, and Jake’s in his bed, IV drip next to it with a needle in his arm. He turns his head slowly towards the door.
“Beth!” He winces and pulls what I assume to be his good arm against his chest. I just look at him, look him over and see all the bruising. It brings tears to my eyes. “What are you doing here?”
“Did you think I wouldn’t come home after I heard about this?” Jake tries to shrug and only groans in pain. “Embry called me, and I caught the first flight back.”
Jake’s lips are in a small smile, but I can feel his hurting. “You look exhausted.”
“I’ve been up all night trying to get a flight back here.” He pats the space on the small bed next to him. “Are you sure it’s not going to hurt you?”
“This is my good side,” he assures. I curl into the bed next to him, tucking myself into his side. “You didn’t have to come home for me,” he tells me.
“Yes, I did. You would have done the same, and you know I’m not me without you there.”