Status: New inspirations!

Everything Has Changed

Lily

I woke up the next morning with a slight hangover and in no mood to listen to my brother, but of course, he was always in the mood for tormenting me.

“Get up” he said barging through the door, “It’s almost 1”

“I don’t care” I groaned, “I don’t work today, so I’m not doing anything”

He sighed, “You were quite the entertainment last night”

I smiled a bit and then turned over in my bed to face him in the doorway, “It wasn’t that bad Brando”

“You need to stop with that”

“It’s not like I’m going to see the guy again”

“I hope not”

I fell back on my pillow, “It’s not your call anyways, I see who I want to see Brandon”

“Why can’t you just stay away from the team?” he replied.

“You brought me to the dinner”

“You didn’t have to make out with them” his voice got a bit louder.

“God Brandon, get over it. It was one kiss with one guy I’m never going to see again. You have nothing to worry about”

He didn’t say anymore and left the room, defeated. I rolled onto my back and stared up at the ceiling, unmotivated to even get out of bed today. I heard my phone buzz and I immediately remembered the conversation with Alex last night, and I felt my cheeks heat up. I turned over and grabbed my phone, looking at the last message I got after passing out.

Instead of this form of communication, which is delightful, take my number please?

I smiled at the sight of the ten digits and I immediately put them into my phone, with his name but I didn’t text him. Not yet. I felt like letting him squirm a bit. I learned that hanging out a guy to dry for a bit can actually do wonders. Never rush something like this.

I pushed myself out of bed and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I dragged my feet to the kitchen as I threw my hair up into a bun. I started the coffee maker and grabbed a mug, patiently waiting for the mug to fill up. The moment my lips touched the cup, I felt relief.

“You look like hell” I heard Brandon say from the living room.

“Thank you” I replied, “I feel fantastic”

He rolled his eyes at my sarcasm and stood up, “I’m heading out to the gym. Let me know if you need anything. Maripier won’t be back until tomorrow afternoon. Just try not to make a mess”

“I am a responsible adult, thank you very much”

He sighed and grabbed his bag and keys and left the apartment. I sat down at the table with my mug and pulled open my laptop, scrolling through Facebook mindlessly as I focused most of my attention on my coffee.

*Blip.*
Donna: How was the dinner last night? I haven’t heard from your brother.
Me: Hey to you too Mom. The dinner was good.
Donna: That’s it?
Me: I’m sure Brando will have his version of it. But for me, it was perfectly fine.
Donna: What did you do Lily?
Me: I can’t talk right now Mom, I have to do…something else. Okay, bye.

I signed out immediately and took a long breath. I never saw eye to eye with my mother, or my dad for that matter. Brandon was always the one I went to for anything, he always knew what to do. Yet, he was also the only one in the family anyone ever really seemed to care about. Maybe it’s why I act out the way I do.

I spent two hours flipping through stations and falling in and out of sleep, hoping to rest off the hangover. After getting bored of that, I decided to take a shower and then get out of the house, maybe get some food.

The moment I stepped out of the house, my phone vibrated in my pocket and I saw a text from Sara, a friend from work.

Tara is wondering if you’ll come in for a few hours. David called in sick.

Again?

Yah, and it’s stupidly busy.

What time?

Around 6 until close?


I sighed and looked at the time, my phone read 4:47pm. I turned around immediately and walked back into the apartment.

I’ll be there for 6:30.

Awesome, I’ll let her know. See you soon.


I peeled my coat off and tossed my phone onto the couch as I went into the kitchen, making a lazy pot of Kraft Dinner before changing into my work clothes.

What a life.