There's Oceans In-Between Us, but That's Not Very Far

Chapter 006

Image

Matt runs down the stairs before me and then runs towards the door. NO. I want to answer it! But he beats me and behind the door is James. He looked good. He had a blue shirt on that fit him just right; not too tight and not too big. And then he had the tighter jeans on that I was always against guys wearing, but he pulled it off really well. Matt looked back and gave me this 'look'. I don't know how to describe it but, I don't think it was good. But hey, he did leave.

"Sorry. That's my brother. I swear he's a little disturbed up there," I said. He smiled at me. It's so gorgeous. "My dad wanted to talk to you before we left," He looked at me like I so don't want to die tonight. "Chill... He's alright. He hasn't killed anyone. That I know of anyway," I said leading him inside.

"Ha ha... Funny," he said noticing my sarcasm. We walked into the kitchen where mom and dad were.

"Dad this is James. James this is my dad," I said. James did a little wave thing at him. Aw he's a shy guy. That's cute.

"So how long were you guys planning to stay out?" Dad asks in this 'intimidating' voice. I could so tell it was fake. But he looked at James when he said it. I take it he doesn't want me to answer.

"Uh... Whenever you want her home," He said nervously. No, don't show weakness. He didn't say anything for awhile. This can't be good.

"Amber no later than 2," he said looking at me.

WHAT? My curfew has never been that late. What did I do? Maybe he likes James.

"Ok... We'll just be going," I said pulling James' arm trying to get him to come too.

"Not a lot of drinking," Dad yelled as we made it through the door.

Yeah. Ok. As long as I don't come home drunk, I don't think he will notice that I drank anything. We stepped outside and it's just a little chilly.

"So how was your riding?" I asked starting a conversation... Well, trying to anyway.

"Pretty good. Rode some sweet trails. Got some really cool video clips," He said as we were right in front of Corey's house.

Wow, it looks pretty big from the front view. You could hear the music playing inside. I just hope the cops don't come and shut it down. James lead me inside and there were A LOT of people in there.

"You want a drink?" James yelled over the music.

"Sure... Anything's fine,"

I yelled back. He walked away and I just kind of looked around. Yep, Corey has some pretty sexy friends. Or maybe they're just dudes that showed up. Either way they were hot. I got a few glances from some pretty hot guys as I made my way through, I think, the living room. And then I bumped into to Corey.

"Hey you made it," he said coming a little close.

I could smell the alcohol on his breath... I think he's been drinking for awhile. Intoxicated or not, he was still hott.

"Yeah, I'm surprised actually," I said not saying too much.

He's not going to remember too much tomorrow. For some reason he winked at me and then walked away. Why the need to wink? But it was pretty f-ing sexy. So a few minutes pass and these guys come up to me and start talking. They introduce themselves as Ryan, Dave, and Colin. They seemed nice. Ryan had all the tatts going on and the pretty smile and eyes, and the dark curly hair showing under his backwards hat. Dave was somewhat quite, kind of cute, but seemed to be on the not so sober side. Colin; he was just gorgeous and nice, but kind of quite too. Ryan did most of the talking. After Dave and Colin not saying anything for a few minutes they just left Ryan. Gosh... Some friends they are.

"So where are you from?" Ryan asks a few seconds after they left.

"LA," I said. That was kind of random.

"Oh, that's kind of far. What are you doing here?"

"My parents live here. Here visiting. Then I met Corey and that's why I'm here... kind of."

"Oh, just watch Corey. He tends to... How do I say this? Use girls?"

"Like how?" I asked... There are three things I hate in the world... Liars, fake people, and users.

"Maybe it's best if you just didn't hear what I just said," he replied and then walked away

Urg! No, come back. I want to know. I was going to go after him, but I lost him in the crowd of people... I wonder where James is. I walk into the kitchen and find him. Yep, sure did. He's talking to this chick that's like all over him, playing with his hair and the whole nine yards. Yeah, really looks like he's getting a drink. I grab a bottle off of the counter and head out to the back porch. I want to move here just for the night sky. It's so pretty. For some reason I can only think about last night when Corey and I kissed. The way the sky looked, the way his eyes sparkled from the moon, the way neither of us wanted to pull away, but my stupid phone had to go off. Stupid Matt. I bet Corey's drunk off his ass right now though. I stay out there and finish my beer. Besides the music coming from inside, it was pretty quite. I just wish someone was out here with him. I have this thing where I hate being alone. I know so emo right? But maybe someone's actually listening to me tonight because I hear someone step outside. I look back and see Corey walking... Straight... What?... How?

"What are you doing out here all by yourself?" he asked standing next to me.

"It just got kind of loud in there," I said not really remembering why I was out here. "What about you?"

"Try and sober up so more. Had to slow down and eat something," He said putting the reminds of a cracker in his mouth.

"Yeah, I kind of noticed," I said smiling.

"It happens. You can't tell me it's never happened to you," he said smiling too.

"No, I'm a good kid."

"Says the empty bottle and the scent of beer on your breath."

"Fine guilty," I said putting my arms up. I didn't say much for a few minutes. I started looking around at the dirt jumps he had sat up. This gave me a few questions to ask.

"Are you a BMXer?" I asked after I spotted a white bike too.

"Yeah. Check this out. I just learned a new trick," he said hopping down and getting his bike.

"Do you really think that's a great idea?" I asked...

I don't want him to get a BWI: biking while intoxicated. He just went on anyway. He took a few jumps and then he came to this bigger one. I'm not sure what he tried to do but it looked some what like an opposite 720 tailwhip... but he didn't succeed at all. He went down and yelled in pain. I went over to him and saw him holding his leg.

"You ok?" I asked bending down next to him.

"Maybe you were right. I should listen to you more," He said wincing in pain. The poor thing.

"Here, lets get you inside." I said trying my best to help him up.

Some how we managed to get him up and walk him inside. I said to take him to his room. He pushed the door open and hopped to the bed. He laid down and pulled his jeans up to reveal a very swollen ankle.

"I'll get you some ice." I said walking back into the kitchen.

I found a plastic bag and filled it with ice then grabbed a bottle of water for him. I don't think alcohol would be the best choice for him right now. I make it back to his room and you can tell he's in pain. I put the ice on his ankle as gently as I could and then hand him the bottle of water.

"Water? I'm in pain and you bring me water," he said trying not to smile through his discomfort.

"I think you've drank enough tonight," I said sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"You may be right," he said turning his gaze to the ceiling pretty quickly.

Ok. Awkward silence. Corey just say something damn it.

"So about last night..." he trailed off. I looked over at him and he was still looking up. What's he going to say? I'm nervous now. "I can't speak for you or anything but..." he trailed off again.

But what? My God he's going to kill me with this wondering and trying to think of what he's going to say.

"For like the first time, I felt different when I kissed a girl. Like not in a bad different... Like..." he trailed off again.

"You saw fireworks and little cupids flying around," I said not even thinking about this before it flew out of my mouth. I wanted to slap myself for saying that.

"Yeah, like that. I've never felt that before and it's just weird," he said finally looking at me. Wow... Can you say SURPRISED?

"So what do you want to do about it?" I asked actually thinking this through.

Now it was his turn to think things through. It took him awhile. I like to think that was a good thing.

"I want to further this, but we did just meet and I know it was just weird on how we met. I would like to wait a little bit. If that's alright with you."

Wow, he thought that through really well. Good job, Corey.

"I think that is a wonderful idea," I said smiling at him.

We sat there and talked for a little and all of a sudden my phone goes off. I get it from my pocket and it turns out to be my alarm. Yeah I sat it so I wouldn't miss the 'curfew'.

"I really don't want to leave you like this, but my dad gave me a time to be home," I said standing up.

"I'll go with you," he said attempting to stand up too.

"No. You're hurt," I said trying to stop him.

"I'm fine. Look," he said standing up and walking towards his door with a little wobble. But still no showing pain.

"Fine," I said as we walked down the hall and then out the front door.

I thought it was really sweet that he was walking with me even though he was a little on the injured side. I opened the front door and turned to him.

"So, I'm not invited in," he asked with this cute little half smile on his face.

"If you want to come in. Just be quite. I'm pretty sure the parents are asleep," I said as he walked inside.