Footprints of a vampire

Hydrophobic.

I sat there in form as the teacher read out our names on the register, thinking about what Jay had just told me.

Jay liked Nikki! Jay liked Nikki. I always knew there was something about them two, because Jay followed Matt's lead and took the piss out of me, but he never said anything when Matt annoyed Nikki, he kept quiet.

Should I tell Nikki?

"Matt Baines? Are you deaf or can you not answer a simple "Yes miss?" Humph." The teacher growled staring at me though her thick rimmed glasses.

I smacked myself inside and came out of my trance.

"Uh yeah. Yes miss." I repeated looking around as I caught everyone's expressions, they were trying so hard not to laugh, and I knew why, out of fear. As I've said once before Matt runs the hallways, the lunch room, the class rooms, the sports teams. Practically everything and almost everyone. It helped to soothe his ego; the power that he had.

They would only laugh if I laughed first, then I would be allowing them to laugh, what power a single arrogant boy had, why didn't these fools stand up to him? Well I did, and this is where it got me, in his freaking body, so maybe they were doing the right thing by keeping their traps shut! Anyway back to what I was thinking about.

Shoot. How would it look if I Matt Baines walked up to Nikki saying "Oh, Jay likes you." Knowing Nikki I'd probably end up with a slap, a kick, a punch, a yelling at, a shrug, a blank expression or most likely a "piss off! I wasn't born yesterday you dim witted twit!" Yes that sounded like Nikki.

I stared out of the window wanting form to end quickly, so I could get the next 3 hours over with as fast as possible. But another part of me was wanting so much for form to drag on so the next 3 hours would never come.

As soon as I thought this, the bell went as everyone scuttled out of the room, I found myself rooted to my seat in terror.

My mind went blank at the realisation that I would have to face my biggest fear in less than 10 minutes.

Crap.

"Oh Matty!" I heard Cassie.

Great just what I flipping needed!

I pulled myself out of the seat and attempted to stride straight past her when she grabbed my arm smiling.

"I found some of your clothes and stuff in my room yesterday." She purred edging closer to me then she needed to be!

"And I was just wondering whether you'd like to come round after school today to pick them up...You know since we're not together anymore..." She purred sticking her finger in her mouth seductively.

Now if I was an actual guy in a guy's body, then I'd probably be effected by her behaviour, but since I was a girl in a guy's body the only thing I wanted to do was gag.

"Nah it's okay." I said sternly.

"I'm busy." I ended attempting to walk away again.

"Oh that's okay sweet-cheeks you just let me know when you can come round...I hope we can still be friend's!" She giggled walking away.

Oh sure 'cause I was going to say "Hey Cassie I'm coming around tonight!" It was just an invitation to have sex and most likely get back together, and that wasn't happening no way in hell, not when I was in Matt's body!

Just as my third attempt to walk out of the classroom was in go, another girl whom I didn't know rushed in looking happy, she smiled as she saw me and smoothed out her hair and skirt with her fingers before approaching me.

"Hey Matt." She smiled perkily.

"Uh hello." I replied un-enthusiastically wanting nothing more then the floor opening and swallowing me into a big hole!

"I'm having a party Saturday night, and your going to be there right?" She rather demanded then asked.

"I don't know." I replied scanning the room boredly.

She walked forwards laughing.

"Well I hope you can be there, because...Now that you're single..." She lowered her voice whispering stuff into my ear.

My brain froze.

As she walked away smiling I blinked twice.

What was going through these girl's heads?! Why were they so mesmerised by stupid, arrogant, jerky Matt Baines?!

And why would she even think about doing that with Matt!?

I tried to forget and erase the graphic comments she had just whispered to me and shook my head when a rush of dread ran through me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slumped my bag down into the boys changing rooms and looked around at the empty locker room. I was guessing loud mouth Kelly had gotten the message around pretty fast.

Instead of telling these boys I didn't even know, I decided to spread the word that swimming practice had been moved to a different location by another method. Simple - I just told Kelly, who has this big loud voice and she spread it faster then I got to form!

I began to unload my swimming bag uneasily as I tied not to picture myself in a pair of swimming shorts, and what was worse was Matt would be wearing a swimming costume!

I shivered as I opened the doors to the swimming area as a faint smell of chlorine wafted out, I squinted my eyes, and scanned the area and my eyes stopped at a girl sitting with her legs in the pool and her back to me, she was wearing a light blue swimming costume and had her hair up in a bun.

Hello Matt. I nervously walked forwards rubbing my muscular arms trying not to slip on the little puddles of water on the floor. I bit my lip and prayed.

I'd never prayed in my whole entire life, I didn't believe in God, and the so called word of God meaning the Bible.

The book has been changed, edited and altered so much it is no longer the word of God, but the word of monks, people who changed it to suit them.

Whenever you see a statue of the Virgin Mary she's completely covered from head to toe, so why do these religious people dress half nakedly?

Don't get me started on this subject, I could go on or hours and I would win, either that or you'd beg me to shut up. Even this small conversation in my mind wasn't slowing time down as I approached Matt.

I stood behind him unnoticed until I cleared my throat nervously.

I felt so weird and awkward standing in front of him in nothing but a pair of shorts, I moved my arms around me, to conceal my stomach and he smirked as a slight shade of pink crept up my cheeks.

He got up and I examined him, I had never worn a swimming costume from the age of 10, I looked so weird, just as I thought things couldn't get any weirder, he shifted uncomfortably running his hand through his hair and I swear I saw a hint of red lingering on his cheeks for a second before he turned away.

"Uhm so get into the water." He said gruffly.

" - And stop hiding yourself, it's not like I haven't seen myself in the mirror." He added jumping into the water and sending water splashing everywhere, I dodged it and stood there looking down at him nervously.

"Err." I started not knowing how to get into the water.

"Hurry up, we'll start in the shallow end so you won't get scared." He stated twirling around getting used to the water.

I glanced backwards making sure I had shut the doors behind me, I'd cringe if someone found us in the pool together, they would obviously get the wrong idea!

And before I could lower myself into the water nicely and gently, I felt a small hand enclose around my ankle and pull me forwards.

"No! - Argh!" I spluttered as my body hit the warm water as I went under.

I could hear his laughter subside slightly as he grabbed me pulling me up.

"You're such a bastard." I said through mouthfuls of air and spluttering water out of my mouth.

"Hey we only have 3 hours to get the basics." He snarled shrugging.

I sighed holding onto the side, as my feet touched the bottom of the pool, as long as my feet could make contact with the bottom of the pool I was okay.

He stood in front of me thinking.

"So can you actually swim?" He asked.

Hey, good question.

"Erm...Kind of." I replied uneasily.

"I'll take that as a no." He rolled his eyes, putting his hand under the water.

I stood there dazzled as I felt some fingers interlink with mine and get a strong hold onto them, pulling me forwards slightly he led me to the middle of the shallow end.

"It's all about balance and confidence, if you have confidence you can do anything." He said in a quiet serious tone.

"First we're going to float." He started as I regarded him quizzically.

I listened as he began to speak and show me techniques, watching to see if I was paying attention.

"Balance your strength on the surface of the water, spread your legs -" He hesitated as we both laughed slightly at how weird and rude that sounded, he scratched the back of his head, a tint of pink crawling up his cheeks again as he shifted.

" - And um, put your arms out, it's like riding a bike, keep your balance, but when floating, make yourself rigid and flat." He ended, spreading himself out onto the water.

He faced me as he floated carelessly on the surface, hey that actually looked...fun!

"Don't be afraid of the water, it can only harm you if you don't co-operate with it, it's your friend Aliz, water is your friend." He repeated which almost made me gag.

Pfft, water was not my friend, I hated water.

He pushed back and stood in the water again and gestured for me to try.

"Uh." I started as he nodded his head again.

I stupidly plunged my body on top of the water trying my hardest to keep everything straight but just looking at my reflection in the water and the mass amount of water scared me.

I huffed and puffed as my legs kept being drawn down towards the floor, I couldn't keep myself up.

"Woah, take it slowly, don't stress about it too much, just let it happen, you need to push your legs up slightly, just bounce your feet off from the floor and keep your body straight." He advised from my side.

When, still my legs were compelled and attracted towards the pool floor he stepped forwards touching my under stomach, holding me up.

Ugh God can this get any weirder, I kept my face down as he helped my legs stay up.

"There." He whispered as my body was floating on the surface of the water, he then let go and I thought I'd fall, but I just floated. It had worked!

I beamed at my minute achievement.

"Now stand up and do it again, on your own." He said folding his arms.

I did as I was told and once again found my legs dragging down slightly.

"That'll do for the floating part, you'll just have to practice in your own time, put these on." He handed me a pair of goggles, I automatically gulped.

He peered around the room to make sure no one was watching and spoke,

"The Freestyle Stroke is what we use in competitions, because it's simple and has no real regulations on how it can be swum." He continued pausing to demonstrate.

"Visualize a line running down the centre of your body from your chin to your chest. This line is the axis upon which your whole body should pivot, and it should extend horizontally in the direction you are swimming." He blabbed out fast.

"Uh huh." I nodded understanding what he was saying as he showed me.

"Get a grip of the side of the pool and stretch opposite it holding onto the side." He instructed.

"Keep your legs straight, but not rigid, with your toes pointing out, kick up and down." He ordered watching me from the side as he did it as well.

"Like this?" I asked kicking the water from behind me.

He smiled for the first time and nodded as we both splashed water onto each other and then stopped.

"Move your arms in a windmill motion opposite each other, while one arm is extended completely out, the other should be all the way back, almost against the side of your body." He showed me as he moved his arms through the water.

"Keep your hands flat, thumb separated from the index finger and pull the extended arm through the water beneath your body. Bend your arm at the elbow and draw your fingertips along the imaginary line down the centre of your body." He continued.

We heard the bell to end the first lesson and commence the second lesson ring and within seconds, we heard distance footsteps and voices of students pushing past each other in the corridor, we both stopped and waited until it all went quiet again.

"Lift your other arm out of the water and move it all the way forward as the first arm is pulling beneath you. Bend at the elbow and drag your fingertips along the surface of the water. Penetrate the water with your fingertips and completely extend the arm." He stated.

He ended dropping his arms to his side after he had showed me.

It was interesting to see Matt Baines the guy who I thought had no care in the world except for annoying everyone and being an idiot, have a passion for something real, and care about it so much, it was hard to believe he was so serious and so passionate about swimming.

It was a side I had never seen to him; I thought he was just a jerk full stop. But he has this whole other thing going for him, something he wants and is determined to get, so making fun of me and acting like a jerk was just one side to him!

"How weak are you, I'm tired after just warming up!" He exclaimed bending his arms about and shaking his fingers.

I bit back a stupid retort.

"You have my body and my strength so you'll be fine." He mumbled placing his body into the water again.

My eyes followed his body gliding through the water as he did a whole lap; he turned towards me and smiled.

"I love the water. If I could live in water, I would, it's like the best feeling ever." He called as he dived under and out again.

"I hate the water, I'm hydrophobic." I ended scowling slightly as I leaned against the side watching him.

"No you're not, you just think you are." He popped his head up in front of me.

I grinned.

"No I'm pretty sure I hate the water as much as I hate y -" I stopped.

"- As much as you hate me." He ended for me shrugging.

Why did I suddenly feel guilty?

"Its okay, the feelings mutual, now let's gets back to swimming." He dismissed.

Okay maybe I wasn't feeling so guilty now. I was feeling a little pissed.

"Do what I told you and you'll be fine, just follow me." He started again.

"Remember, long strokes and kick with your toes." He reminded me as I attempted to swim.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't long before I had grasped it, I fluttered and spluttered about the first...10 goes but then I got the hang of it.

As the bell for break went, we trudged out of the pool exhausted.

"Not bad. Not bad." He smiled.

"That wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be." I half smiled back.

Just as we were about to leave the swimming pool doors swung opened.

Matt and I froze in our spots as we saw her enter the area, a small smile curling along her lips.

"Hello." She purred putting her hands on her hips waiting for an explanation.

"See you later." I whispered to Matt, as I scuttled off into the boys changing rooms before she could get me, thinking Matt couldn't shout at me for leaving him there with her because he did read my personal private journal, that was a good enough reason.

And I didn't care what he said I was still hydrophobic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- MATT'S P.O.V -

I walked uneasily back to the girls changing rooms as Cassie followed me, her expression scowling slightly.

"You think you can get away with stealing my man?" She snarled from behind me.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I replied blankly drying myself.

"Oh you know exactly what I'm talking about you little wannabe whore." She growled.

"I can bring you down Aliz Jones, stay out of my way, and stay away from him." She hissed.

"Hey, he's teaching me how to - err swim." I ended.

"Bullshit." She growled.

"I thought you would get it into your head after this little visit, but since you haven't I'm going to have to do something about it." She hissed.

I swear I was going to burst out laughing at any minute now. Cassie was going to take me on?! Of course she didn't know who I really was, but she thought I was Aliz.

"Aliz Jones, you're going to wish you were never born." She snarled.

"If your pea of brain can figure out a way for me to wish that." I retorted.

"Oh wait, you're going to fail just trying to find where your brain is." I snapped.

"Just you wait - bitch." She said through gritted teeth leaving the room.

Uh oh.

Did I just...get Aliz into trouble?

I walked out of the changing rooms thinking about what had just happened.

I better tell Aliz what just happened.

After all if we do get our bodies' back, she'll have Cassie on her case.

Even though Cassie wasn't very smart she was quite devious, and had the power of the school behind her.
After all she was popular, and everyone would take her words over Aliz's.

I hadn't just landed Aliz in some crap had I?