Footprints of a vampire

Ask me

[20] - The song. –

- MATT'S P.O.V -

I stared at the email in amusement, my expression frozen in laughter and shock – this had to be a cruel joke. Nothing about this song was serious or anything I would listen to, never mind sing it and record it – it just felt wrong! I re-read the email catching the last little bit again and that was when a small giggle escaped from my lips. Clearing my throat I attempted to sing the song.

Ask me.

Ask me when the sun shines bright
Brightly over the land so white
In my heart I feel a shine
And I know, we'll both be fine.

Because it's you and me together,
(Always baby.)
Me and you forever,
(Always baby.)
Just us two where ever,
(Always baby.)

Ask me when the rain is clear
Darkness gone, nothing to fear
Hand in hand we'll face them all
However big, however tall.

Because it's you and me together,
(Always baby.)
Me and you forever,
(Always baby.)
Just us two where ever,
(Always baby.)

Ask me now and ask me quick
‘Cause time goes by within a tick
So take my hand, let’s fly away
To a distant land we'll be okay.

So ask me, before it gets too late
Its destiny baby, it's our fate.
I know its right, I know it's true
Oh baby, I've fallen for you

Because it's you and me together,
(Always baby.)
Me and you forever,
(Always baby.)
Just us two where ever,
(Always baby.)

So ask me, before it gets too late
Its destiny baby, it's our fate.

So ask me, before it gets too late
It’s destiny baby, it's our fate.


When I was finished I took a deep breath and let out a rumbling laugh – this was so funny and stupid. I grabbed the phone and dialled Aliz’s number in a hurry and then hissed down the phone quickly.

“Aliz! The song is terrible!” I laughed again kicking a pair of jeans that had fallen to the floor out of my way.

“What? How terrible? What’s it called? Sing it to me!” She asked and demanded just as quickly and I stopped laughing instantly.

“I will not sing it to you!” I protested – she didn’t know what kind of song this was!

“Matt come on! Just sing it to me; I need to know how bad it is and how well you can use my voice.” She added a groan at the end.

“Aliz it’s a love song!” I hissed again hoping she would see my point.

Silence followed after and I drummed the desk impatiently waiting for her to reply.

“In that case don’t sing it to me but tell me, what is it called?” She replied her voice hinting worry – she sounded really tired too.

“It’s called Ask Me.” I said whirling around on the chair.

“That doesn’t sound too bad.” She mumbled.

“Oh but it is bad! Do I really have to sing this?!” I shrieked picturing myself in girly clothes singing a love song down a microphone to a small audience. I shuddered.

“Of course you have to! I'm swimming for you.” She stressed the words and I backed up a little. The way she strung that sentence hit me hard and made me feel a little guilty; I groaned knowing that I would have to sing this stupid song!

“I can’t believe this.” I muttered angrily.

“Neither can I but we’re stuck aren’t we? We’re going to have to help each other out.” She replied.

“Yeah yeah.” I huffed sarcastically.

“How’s my mom?” She asked casually.

“I don’t know and I don’t care.” I rolled my eyes why on Earth did she want to know how her mother was, I mean who cared?

“Still rude and obnoxious as ever I see.”

“Hey I am not rude and obnoxious.” I strained my eyebrows whilst looking in the mirror. I wonder how Aliz would look with blue hair.

“I'm sorry you’re a basket of sunshine.” She replied, sarcasm heavy in her words.

“Did anyone ever tell you sarcasm was the lowest form of humour?” I glared at my reflection in the mirror.

“Since when was I trying to be funny? I have to go now, familiarise yourself with the song." She replied.

"Party remember?" I quickly slipped in before I heard her sigh and hesitate in putting the phone down, just what I needed.

“No.” She replied flatly.

“Aliz, Matt Baines never misses a party.” I stressed making funny faces in the mirror at the same time.

“And Aliz Jones doesn’t go to such degrading parties; even thinking about going is degrading.” She argued back. I sighed, why couldn’t she just do what she was told!

“Would you rather every single student asking you why you weren’t at the party tomorrow?” I arched my eyebrow.

“I’ll think about it.” She repeated form last night.

“Someone needs to keep an eye on Aliz Jones.” I smirked knowing this would do the trick and she groaned in defeat.

“Fine, fine, fine! But you better dress suitably, and keep a low profile.” She hissed slamming down the phone. I laughed at the dead end tone and put the phone down myself.

I looked back at the email re-reading it for the third time and laughed again whilst my eyes scanned through Harry’s message.

The song is for the title track and theme tune for a new Disney film which is anticipated to be rated within the top 10 for this month, so the producers have high expectations with the film and with your voice. The film is based around two zebra’s who fall in love. I know, I know – not what you were expecting, but when I said I was going to make you big I didn’t say it was going to be easy. If this record goes through then it will prove you’re more than capable of moving into your own style and then we can talk about creating a single or an album. Contact me if you have any questions.

I couldn’t keep laughing short like this, I needed to let my amusement out so I opened my mouth and let it all out, Aliz was going to get famous for singing about zebra love?

"What is funny?" Aliz’s moms head popped around my door and she blinked seeing my reply – more laughter.

“I'm singing for Disney.” I panted out and then stopped laughing.

“Is this what you wanting to do?” She asked walking into my room her expression confused and slightly frustrated because she didn’t understand my laughter.

“Yes. My life long ambition has been to sing for Disney!” I smiled sarcastically and the next thing I knew she was hauling herself across the room at me and squeezing me tight in her arms.

“I am so proud of you then!” She squeaked as she suffocated me with her vanilla scent, she pulled back and I saw her eyes flash with excitement.

“So I'm going to this party later.” I dropped the comment in casually hoping she wouldn’t be against it, I mean parents should be more lenient and going to a party is hardly a crime.

“You said you didn’t like to go party.” She put her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes at me.

“No, I said I didn’t like those sorts of parties, this party is cool.” I cleared my throat trying to sound natural.

“Well I don’t know. . .” She frowned and I rolled my eyes.

“You can pick out an outfit for me.” I said hoping this would persuade her.

“Fine.” She shrugged pushing past me and into my wardrobe.

* * *

Glad to finally have gotten rid of Aliz’s mother I sat on my bed thinking about the song that I was supposed to sing perfectly – without giggling. This was going to be hard and I wasn’t prepared. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever even think of singing a song about two loved up zebras! I pondered this until my door snapped opened and then was slammed shut and in trudged a very angry looking Nikki. She stalked into my room as if I wasn’t even there and hauled herself onto my bed. Digging her face under a pillow she groaned angrily.

“Yes you can come into my room.” I snarled and she ignored me.

“Parents are Satan’s little helpers on Earth and their sole purpose is to kill all teenage fun with their stupid rules and choices!” She hissed form under the pillow.

“Okay then. . .” I replied slowly.

“And the annoying part is that, that stupid man is having an affair and she’s too blind to see it and refuses to comprehend the evidence!” Nikki said in a low angry voice, she sat up suddenly and shook the hair out of her eyes which were stained red.

"Umm..." I didn't know what to say when she peered closely at me.

“So it is true, Cassie and that lot got to you?” She asked sniffing.

“What? Is it that obvious? I thought I hid it pretty well but -“ I frowned looking into the mirror at my wasted efforts. I had layered my minor injuries with a load of stuff I found on Aliz’s drawer and I thought I’d done a pretty good job as well – obviously not.

“No it’s not obvious; I can tell because I'm sitting close to you.” She mumbled and I felt relieved at least Aliz’s mom didn’t pick up on anything; otherwise I’d have a million questions in French thrown at me.

“You should see her though. I tackled her.” I stated proudly.

“Are you insane?” Nikki all of a sudden got up looking at me with slight horror filled eyes.

“I couldn’t just let her get away with it!” I raised my voice.

“Aliz you don’t even know how to tackle! Just hope Cassie doesn’t try to kill you now.” Nikki sighed.

“Hey I thought you were the one who always fought back?” I snickered sarcastically.

“I do always fight back, but I don’t make it obvious, that way I won’t end up dead at the bottom of a river.” She huffed.

“That makes me feel so much better. Cassie won’t do anything like that.” I raised my eyebrows, she was many things but she wasn’t a murderer.

“Are you sure? Because Cassie’s been so psychotic ever since that Matt Baines dumped her in front of her precious clique and he did it pretty meanly too apparently. She obviously thinks it’s got to do with you, I mean the whole school does – what is it with you two?” Nikki narrowed her eyes and threw on a disgusted expression.

“Nothing.” I dismissed her quickly but truthfully, there was nothing between me and Aliz, not friendship and certainly nothing above it.

She sighed again looking around.

"Are you planning on going anywhere?" She asked warily sitting down again after seeing my clothes.

"Yes. A party." I trailed off as she narrowed her eyes at me.

"A party? Jones, what the hell has gotten into you recently" She asked shaking her head.

"Do you really want to know?" I asked smirking and folding my arms.

"Go for it." She said boredly playing with something shiny she had spotted on the side not really even paying attention to me.

"Two words. Matt Baines." I answered waiting for her reaction.

She hesitated and looked at me confused, she didn't however understand the irony behind that last sentence, because I had indeed gotten into Aliz’s body and she had gotten into mine.

Her eyes widened as her brain ticked away trying to figure it out. I paused thinking I’d make a mistake, Nikki couldn’t have guessed right could she? No, how could she even think that?

"Wait!” She snapped at me getting up.

“You and Matt Baines did it?” She accused, her disgusted expression returning.

“What?! No way!” I exclaimed trying to resist in asking just what was wrong with Matt Baines, I didn’t want to make her suspicious.

“Aliz this better be a phase you’re going through and it better end soon!” She growled rubbing her temples.

"Okay enough of depression mode, your coming to the party with me." I ordered figuring if Nikki was there maybe Aliz would feel better?

"Not everything can be solved with boys, dancing and alcohol." She snorted angrily.

"Yes it can." I huffed.

"Jay's going to be there. . ." I grinned.

Her head shot up quickly and she looked intrigued for a minute until her expression scrunched up.

"So?" She shook her head.

"So I've heard he’s interested – in you." I smirked.

"And now I have two words for you, total rubbish!" She scoffed.

"It's so true Nikki, just come with me okay." I pouted.

"Ugh fine, but I'm not changing, I'm going wearing these." She folded her arms, and I looked at her up and down.

“You’ll do.” I rolled my eyes as the email from Harry caught her attention. I should have exited it! She scanned through quickly and I could see the corners of her mouth twitch slightly in amusement and then she laughed.

“Oh dear.” She choked out in between her laughter and I glared at her.

“Whatever.” I replied walking out of the room she followed quickly behind as we made it to the front door.

“Aliz, home by 12.” I ignored Aliz’s mom’s order and walked out onto the empty street. It wasn’t warm but it wasn’t cold either, I guessed if I stayed outside for another half an hour maybe I’d start tog et cold so I picked up the pace and walked quickly towards the party house. It was harder to find because I was coming from a different neighbourhood but we got there in time – Nikki staying silent by my side the whole time.

As we neared the house, I heard my name being shouted from the side through the entire base pumping out through the glass windows.

" Aliz." Connor smiled broadly slipping his arm around my waist; I almost shouted but stopped when my mouth opened. I was Aliz.

I cursed myself inside my mind; I didn’t think this guy would actually take me seriously and now he was acting as if he owned me, I tried to shrug his arm away but it only got tighter.

"You didn't tell me Connor was into you!" Nikki whispered.

"He's into me?!" I hissed between my teeth as Nikki tried to catch up.

"Well let’s just put it this way, he's not got his arm around me now has he?" She replied sarcastically.

We entered the house and I twisted in Connor’s grip, something was telling me this wasn’t such a good idea. Going to parties as a guy was a lot simpler.

I hoped I wouldn’t regret this.