To Write Love On His Arms

They Say We're Too Young To Know

Austin was sitting in the doctor’s office, nervously tapping his right foot on the white, dirty tile floor. He didn’t like hospitals, not one bit. Even though he was been in and out of that god awful place consistently, Austin has never gotten used to the smell, the air, the touch of the hospital.

Today, Austin thought, was going to be no different. The doctor would ask Austin how he was doing today, he’d say he was fine, the doctor would then tell him how his heart has been doing so far, and then Austin would go home and slack off or work on writing some new songs. It was almost a routine for Austin. A simple routine that was easy to memorize since it happened over and over again.

But today was going to be a different day.

There was a surprise in store for Austin. When the doctor had called Austin unexpectedly for a special appointment, the twenty six year old couldn’t help but wonder what the so-called “special appointment” was all about. Obviously, it was about his heart that’s for sure. But what the tall male wanted to know was why the appointment was unique.

His thoughts were interrupted when the doctor had come, entering the room with a small, friendly smile on his face. “Hello, Austin. It is great to see you again.”

“Hey Dr. Vincent,” Austin greeted with a smile in return. “So what’d you call me in for?”

Dr. Vincent sat down on the stool right next to the bed Austin was sitting on. The room they were in wasn’t exactly considered exactly like a hospital room. It looked like one of those rooms you go to the doctors at where all you have is a check up or come if you had a fever or cold of some sorts. The doctor opened a yellow file folder, looking through dozens of papers until he pulled out a white paper out in triumph.

“Here it is,” he mumbled to himself. “I have good news Austin, very good news indeed. As you can tell, you came for your heart condition, yes? Well, fortunately for you we can do an operation where we can replace your half fake, half real heart with an absolutely healthy one. We have donors who are willing to donate their hearts and I already found the perfect donor if you’re interested in the procedure.”

“Really?” Austin asked in surprise. “There are actually people out there who want to give up their heart?”

“Yes. Like I said before, if you’re up for it, we can call up one of the heart donors who are ready for the procedure at anytime. I already have a donor who I highly recommend. He has an absolutely healthy heart in excellent condition. I highly recommend doing this if you want to replace the heart you currently have with the real one the donor is offering.”

Austin thought about it a little. Dr. Vincent excused himself out of the room to give the tattooed man a moment to think about his decision. Although he did want an actual heart, not one that was half his own half fake, since the thought of the one he has right now worries him. What if it gave up on him all the sudden? What if he fell asleep and never woke up because he died in his sleep due to his heart.

Once ten minutes passed by, Dr. Vincent returned to the room. “Well?”

“Yeah,” he said, smiling a little. “I’ll do it.”

•|•|•|•


A week passed by and today would be the day the twenty six year old will meet his heart donor. Austin didn’t know what to feel. Should he be nervous? Should he be happy or excited? Should he be scared or what? Whatever he should feel, it made Austin grip the steering wheel of his car tightly.

Fifteen minutes later, Austin was sitting in the parking lot of the hospital professional building. He knew he had to meet Dr. Vincent and the heart donor the doctor who looked to be forty-something years old recommended in a few more minutes. But the thought of meeting someone who is willing to give up their healthy beating heart for him made him fucking nervous.

Once he grew the courage actually to step foot out of his gray 2008 Chrysler Sebring, here he was, standing in the lobby of the hospital like some clueless, lost puppy.

“Austin, over here!” called out Dr. Vincent. He had never referred to Austin as “Mr. Carlile” as most doctors would. He doesn’t try and act professionally for his job as any doctor would. He treated Austin and all of his patients like a regular person than a client. That’s what Austin liked about him.

Once the vocalist was side by side with the doctor, he noticed a male looking down, either playing a game or texting on his phone. “Sorry I was late,” he mumbled out nervously.

“Oh, it’s alright, Austin. Well, I have to get going. Austin, this is Matthew Moore, he’s your heart donor. Hopefully, you both get along. Goodbye Austin and Matthew.”

The male, who Austin assumed was Matthew, looked up at him, putting his phone away in his jean pocket. He had dark brown hair with caramel brown highlights. His dark chocolate brown eyes looked absolutely stunning to Austin. Although he was wearing black sunglasses, those eyes were comfortable for the twenty six year old to get lost in. He had rich, milky white skin. It looked so soft and delicate to Austin. The fact that this stranger was blushing a rosey shade of pink didn’t help the jittery feeling in Austin’s stomach. He wore grey skinny jeans that made his legs look great and black Converse that were very much alike to the tattooed man’s shoes he had on. Matthew had a black Of Mice and Men bracelet on his right wrist as well as a sky blue Of Mice and Men Squidgy band-tee that fitted him perfectly. The silver hoop on his nose made him impossibly more attractive to the vocalist. He was a walking and talking piece of perfection in Austin’s eyes.

“H-holy shit, you’re Austin Carlile from Of Mice and Men,” he said shyly.

‘Great,’ Austin thought. ‘Even his voice is perfect.’

“So I guess I’ll be handing my heart over to you, huh?”

“Yeah,” Austin replied, adding a nervous chuckle. He made a self-note to stop saying “yeah” all the time.

“Soo…how are you today?” Matthew asked him, smiling at Austin adorable.

“I’m tired, hungry, but good. How about yourself?”

“You just summed up my whole day.”

•|•|•|•


After minutes of discussing where to eat, currently Matthew and Austin were sitting in a booth at IHOP, waiting for their order of buttermilk pancakes. Austin was watching Matthew, who preferred to be called “Matty”, color the pictures that the children colored on the kids meal paper mat while they were waiting for their lunch. Although the waitress thought that was weird (yet she was checking him out every chance she got which made Austin wanted to keep Matty all to himself), the tattooed male found it absolutely adorable in so many ways.

“What are you drawing?” Austin asked when the waitress set their drinks (two glasses of water with no ice) on the table in front of them.

“Squidgy and I,” he answered, looking up and smiling at him.

Austin tried not to let out an “aw” at that moment. “Can I see?” he asked.

“Yeah, of course!” Matty handed him the paper, blushing a little at his work.

‘Okay, this is so fucking adorable!!!’ Austin thought to himself. The drawing was of a giant Squidgy with Matty cuddling Squidgy in his sleep. “You’re an amazing artist, Matty!”

“You really think so?” he shyly asked him, cutting his pancakes in small triangular shaped pieces.

“Think so? I know so!” Austin replied rather loudly. The tattooed man noticed the cute brunette looking down, hiding the blush on his face.

“So Matty…tell me about yourself.”

“What do you wanna know?”

“Everything.”

•|•|•|•


Austin learned that Matty’s full name is Matthew Alexander Moore, he just turned twenty-three in July, lives alone in an apartment right on the beach and local coffee shop that does live shows, and is single. He loves to draw, write, do photography, and his one real passion is music. Matty has never met his father and recently lost his mother. He is an only child. He has two kittens and…he’s bisexual.

Matty invited Austin over to his apartment to hang out some more. It made Austin excited to think that Matty still wanted to spend time with him. Sure, you would probably assume that he invited him over because he’s the Austin Carlile, the most amazing screamer ever and Matty’s favorite band member in his favorite band, Of Mice and Men. But no, Matty forgot Austin was that famous band member who saved so many lives every day everywhere. He treated Austin like he was a regular person, as if he was never in a band and was never famous. This was another thing to add to the list of why Austin is falling for Matthew Alexander Moore.

“So this is my lovely home, make yourself comfortable. Wanna drink?”

“Water would be fine, yes,” Austin answered.

Austin looked around, what he assumed was, the living room. He noticed the canvases around hung on the walls, the paintings of landscapes, people, random things, shapes, and symbols. He noticed that it had Matty’s signature on the bottom right hand corner on each painting. Austin saw that there were picture frames. Some were of other art work like drawings while others were actually pictures. They were pictures of Matty, what Austin assumed was him as a child and his family.

“Yeah, that’s me if you’re wondering,” Matty said from behind.

Austin jumped a little, turning to look at him. “Oh…Do you make all these drawings and paintings?” he asked, making sure that his guess was real.

“Oh, these old things,” Matty said, looking at one painting of the beach at his apartment with the sun setting and the waves crashing down. “Yeah, I did all these. They’re not the best, but I make money off these. It’s whatever.”

“Whatever?” Austin scoffed, drinking some of the water that was given to him. “Do I have to remind you how amazing of an artist you are?”

“Really Austin, I’m not all that great.”

The tattooed man couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Matty doubted himself, not believing that he truly has talent. Austin wondered why he couldn’t see how talented he was. So instead of arguing with Matty, the tattooed male left it at that, switching topics. He just met the guy; he didn’t want to scare him away already.

•|•|•|•


It’s been already three months since Matty and Austin have met. In those three months, they have spent every single day with each other. Of course, Austin introduced Matty to his band mates, which Matty was excited about. Aaron, Alan, Phil, and Tino could see how much Austin was falling for Matty, and they didn’t mind having Matty around when they all hung out. Matty was cool and was a perfect match for Austin in their eyes. As for Alan, well, Austlan Cashby wasn’t real, nor will it ever be. Sure, he used to have a little crush on his best friend. But that was then and this was now. And as of right now, he wanted his best friend to be happy. In his eyes, the ginger thought that Austin would be happier with Matty.

It might have been just three months, but in those three months, a lot has happened—specifically to Matty.

The two had assumed that the fans that maybe they thought of Austin and Matty as an “item”. There have been a lot of words from PupFresh and PropertyofZack that apparently they were a couple and Austlan Cashby wasn’t real (Like it ever was). It was one day when Matty went out to get a latte at the local coffee shop by his apartment. He was going to Austin’s house to hang out as usual that very day. The line was somewhat long, but he was patient so he waited, playing some Fruit Ninja on his black iPhone to entertain himself while he waited. Austin texted him, telling him that instead of Matty coming over, why not enjoy some coffee together and go hang out somewhere else later. Matty replied with an “Okay, that’s sounds awesome!” until he looked up, a women staring at him.

“You’re Matty aren’t you?” she asked with annoyance, looking at him as if he were a pile of filth.

“Uh, yeah why?” he asked, worry building up inside him.

“I’m Stephanie; you’re boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend.” She couldn’t say Austin’s name. The fact that she never knew her ex-was interested in men disgusted her.

“Oh…Austin and I aren’t dating. We’re just fri—“

“Psh, yeah right! He always made jokes about being a “flaming homo,” she said, putting air quotes on “flaming homo.” “I just never knew he actually was one himself, ugh. You two are disgusting faggots.”

Everyone stared at them; the employees even stop doing what they were doing. All eyes were on them, watching the scene go down; Stephanie yelling at Matty while Matty just stood there with tears spilling down his face.

Austin had entered the coffee shop, smiling knowing that he got to see Matty. His smile soon turned into a frown, watching as his ex-girlfriend yelled at the boy he cared the most for. He rushed to Matty’s side, holding him in his arms. “Shh, it’s okay,” he said, trying his best to reassure the crying twenty three year old male in his arms. “What’s wrong?”

“She keeps telling me that I’m a faggot, that I’m pathetic, and that I’m gonna go to Hell for liking guys. B-but, I like girls too! It’s not w-wrong to love the same g-gender, r-right?”

“Of course it’s okay to love the same gender, Mats. Do what your heart tells you, and if your heart leads you to the right direction, then all is good. Don’t listen to her; she doesn’t know what love is.”

“You both are going to Hell!” the woman shouted at them, glaring at the two. Her words only made Matty cry even harder, his face buried in Austin’s plain white t-shirt. “You two are disgusting!”

“Why would you say such a thing? What has Matty ever done to you, huh? Matty is perfect and he’s never laid one hand on you and never said one single thing to you,” Austin stepped in, looking at the women while soothingly rubbing Matty’s back to stop the tears from spilling down his face. The tattooed man didn’t even care that Matty was ruining his shirt.

“I don’t care if he’s never done anything to me. He deserves it anyway. Look, he can’t even defend himself. He has to rely on you to defend him. How pathetic,” Stephanie said, flipping her hair back and putting her hands on her hips.

She did the unexpected. She had pulled Matty away from Austin, slapping Matty in the face. He fell to the ground, crying on his knees while cradling his right cheek. “W-why?” he whispered, barely audible.

Stephanie only scoffed, kicking Matty with her high heels (why she wore them that day precisely, they’ll never understand). “See? He can’t even take a slap!”

“Stop it!” shouted Austin, kneeling by Matty, holding him close to him. “I don’t care if he can’t take a slap or not, he’s amazing, talented, adorable, sweet, caring, breathtaking, and perfect. I don’t care if he can’t fend for himself because I know that he would never hurt a fly. I don’t care if he needs me to be there to protect him, because I’m always gonna be there for him no matter what.”

Stephanie said nothing, only glared at them. She sighed, realizing that all those rumors that Austin and Matty were in love might be true. Well…she doesn’t know about Matty but she definitely knows that Austin loves him. He never looked at her like he was looking at the male below her when they were dating. She had to let go of the past and realize that if Austin was happy with someone else, then that was that. Maybe Austin was right, she didn’t know what love was. But what she did know was that love was what Austin felt.

So she left the coffee shop, letting go of the past and moving on.

-|-|-|-


When Austin took Matty to his lonely house, he made Matty sit down on his couch while he went to get something for the twenty three year old to drink. Once he returned back to his living room, he noticed Matty shaking a little, hearing the soft sobs coming from him. Austin sat down next to the male, hugging him and lying back on the couch. “Shh, its okay, I’m here.”

“W-what did I d-do, Austin?” he asked, crying into his chest and hugging the tattooed man back tightly. “What d-did I do t-to deserve t-this?”

“Matty, you didn’t do anything, okay? She’s just mean. Mean people obviously do mean things to good people. She’s probably just jealous because she’s not as amazing as you, Mats. Don’t worry about it, okay? I’m here and that’s all that matters.”

After a while, Matty’s crying slowly started to stop, but there was still some tears running down his face. “Austin, did you mean what you said back there?”

“What’d I say?” Austin asked, pretending like he didn’t remember what he said. Of course he meant it, but he just hoped that Matty wouldn’t leave him for it.

“About you saying how amazing I am, how perfect I am. How you’ll never leave me and all. Did you mean it?”

Austin kissed the top of Matty’s head, looking at him. “Of course I did. I meant every single word. If I didn’t then I wouldn’t be here trying to cheer you up.”

Matty rested his head on Austin’s shoulder, smiling a little. “You’re always gonna be here for me?”

“I’m always gonna be here, Matty. Even if you beat me with a stick, I’m still gonna stick around. I’m always gonna protect you; forever and always.”

•|•|•|•


Two months after that time when Stephanie had slapped Matty, things started to look up for the two. They were closer than ever before, closer than Austin and Alan were (not that Alan minded since he was starting to be more intimate with Justin). Although things went well for those two months, even the weirdest things happened.

“Austin, I ran into Gielle when I went to the store to go buy my cats' food!” Matty announced. After the incident with Stephanie, Matty and his two kittens moved in with Austin in his house.

“Really?” Austin asked, putting his pencil down. Currently, he was writing a song that he wanted to record really soon. “Did she say or do anything to you?”

“She didn’t do anything, but she did tell me that you and I looked cute together as crazy as it sounds. She asked me to take care of you, that you can be a handful. Gielle also hugged me, weird huh?”

“Yeah, definitely.”


Austin and Matty were always together. But Austin was going to tour with the band. It was going to be the first time he was actually gonna be separated (as in miles away) from each other. Matty didn’t mind because he knew how much the fans and music meant to Austin. For Austin, he didn’t mind either; he just wished that Matty would be there with him. He wanted to travel the world with him and show him all the beautiful exotic places.

Matty was helping Austin pack for tomorrow since that’s when Austin had to go. “Come on Austin! It’s not gonna be any different. You’ve always left for tour.”

“Yeah, but it is different.”

“Oh really, how?”

“You’re not gonna be there.”

The twenty three year old wrapped his arms around Austin, smiling at him. “Yeah, but it’ll be okay. We can Skype, call each other, text, and do Face Time! I’ll be here waiting for you till you get back, Aus.”

‘Yeah, but I just want you to be with me. I’m scared to leave you alone.’

•|•|•|•


Matty was in the living room of his and Austin’s house, watching Star Wars with a blanket on his shoulders and a bowl of popcorn in his lap. He was wearing one of Austin’s t-shirts that fitted him loosely and one of Austin’s pajama pants. He missed Austin so much. Ever since he left, Matty slept in Austin’s bed, cuddling one of his pillows and wearing some of his shirts. He missed Austin hugging him from behind by surprise. He missed Austin’s scent, his sweet voice, his touch, his everything. The male thought that it’d be easy with not having Austin around, after all, he’s went all of his life without him.

There was a knock on the door, startling Matty a little. He sighed heavily, pausing the movie and placing the bowl of popcorn on the cherry red wooden coffee table. “I’m coming!”

He unlocked the door, opening it slightly. He saw a familiar face standing in front him with a smile on their face. “Hey,” the person only said. They stepped inside the house, closing the door behind them.

“Austin, you’re back!” Matty cheered, immediately wrapping his arms around his best friend’s neck, his face buried in his neck. Austin had returned early from tour. Matty didn’t know if it was a dream or reality. Everything felt so real to him though. The feel of Austin’s long, lanky arms wrapping themselves around Matty’s torso, the scent of Austin’s cologne, the touch of Austin’s lips on his head.

“I missed you Matty, so much, you have no idea,” he whispered, gently holding Matty tighter and closer to him. “I thought about you every day.”

“I missed you too, Austin. As long as you’re here, that’s all that matters to me,” he whispered back. The room was silence, and they never let go of each other. It was as if they did, they’d float away.

“Matty, I have to tell you something. I’ve been waiting to tell you this for so long, and now that I’ve been gone, I think I’m ready to tell you.”

“What is it Austin?”

“I love you, Matthew Alexander Moore.”

•|•|•|•


Six months later, here Austin and Matty were, in their bedroom, cuddling while watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. That day after Austin announced his love for Matty, they started a relationship. Within the next six months, it was cuddles, dates, kisses, and even more kisses. The two weren’t ashamed of their relationship, and they announced it on Twitter that they now were finally a couple. A lot of fans were happy, and congratulated them about starting their relationship (finally!) while others were against them and no longer supported the band due to Matty and Austin’s relationship. Even though Of Mice and Men had lost some of their fans, that didn’t stop Austin and Matty from loving each other.

“Austin, why do you love me?” Matty questioned all the sudden.

“You really wanna know why?” Austin asked. Matty nodded, resting his head on Austin’s shoulder. Austin pulled Matty onto his lap, wrapping his arms around the smaller boy’s torso. He gave him a little peck on the lips, leaving them both butterflies in their stomach.

“Well, my love, I love you for a lot of reasons. I love you because how sweet and caring you are. You always put everyone and everything first and yourself last. You try to make everyone around you smile and be happy, which is what you do best. You want to be there for everyone and you wanna take care of them. I love you because how amazingly talented you are, the way you’re so focused when you draw or paint. You might not like your work, but I do. It’s amazing and I can admire it all day, but I don’t because I’m too busy loving and admiring you. When you’re always singing to yourself and you thought that I wasn’t around to hear you, yeah, well I did. And you’re amazing. You have the voice of an ang—no, angels wish they had your voice, because that’s how amazing you sound.

“I love the smile on your face and how it lights up a room. I love the way you bite the bottom of your lip when you’re nervous or you’re focused on something. I love the way you look down when you blush and when you hide your face. I love your laugh and how you cover your mouth. I love the color of your eyes and how breathtaking they are. I love how shy you are because you look so fucking cute, it’s not even funny. I love how you make me feel at home. I love the kisses you give me and when you tell me those three simple words that mean so much to me. But most of all, I love you because you are you.”

At that point, Matty was crying. Not with tears of sorrow but tears of happiness. “Baby, what’s wrong?”

“You love me that much?”

“Of course I do. I’d do anything for you. I love you Matthew Alexander Moore.”

“I love you too, Austin Robert Carlile.”

•|•|•|•


A year later, here Austin was, looking at himself in the bathroom mirror at a fancy Italian restaurant. He wanted to make sure he looked good. His boyfriend was sitting at their table in the center of the restaurant, patiently waiting for his lover’s return. Austin had excused himself and went to look at himself. So here he was, almost hyperventilating. After taking some deep breaths, he confidently (well tried to) walked out of the restroom, returning to the table where his boyfriend was already eating his meal of spaghetti with meat sauce. After all, he wanted to not look nervous in front of Matty since it was Matty’s twenty fourth birthday.

Once the two finished their plate of pasta and their dessert of cheesecake, they were drinking some sort of fancy red wine the waiter had offered them. Matty went and excused himself to the bathroom. When Austin was sure that his boyfriend was out of sight, he put the silver object right by his glass of wine. The waiter smiled at him when he did so, and left as soon as Matty returned.

“Are you having a good time?” Austin asked, his right leg shaking underneath the table nervously.

“For the thousandth time, yes I am,” Matty answered with a giggle, giving him a reassuring smile to show that he truly meant it. Right when he was going to grab his glass of wine, he noticed the small, shiny silver object that was previously placed on the table. The now twenty four year old picked it up, looking at his boyfriend. “I-Is this…?”

Austin took the ring from his small hand, getting out of his seat and kneeling down on one knee.

“Matty, the moment I first met you, I knew you were special, that you were different. I remember how shy you were with your Squidgy t-shirt, and you rocked back and forth with your black Converse that you‘re wearing right now. From the first kiss we shared by the beach and our first date at the county fair, each and every second was the best. Every single day, I fell in love with your smile, your laugh, your voice, your everything. Matty, baby, you are my everything, my best friend, my sun and moon, the air I breathe to live. You are the Princess Leia to my Han Solo, the Padme Amidala to my Anakin Skywalker, as odd as it may sound.

“Love, I want to grow old with you. I want to be the reason why you wake up every day, why you smile, why your heart is still beating. Count the amount of stars in the night sky, multiply it by a million and it still wouldn’t be as much as I love you. I know we’ve only been together for a year, but that one year has been the best year. I know I’m not that perfect, but, Matthew Alexander Moore, will you call yourself my fiancé? Will you be mine forever and always? Will you marry me?”

Matty was sobbing happy tears by the end of Austin’s speech. He was speechless, and all he could do was nod, smiling that smile Austin had fallen in love with from the moment they first met. To be known as the future Matthew Alexander Carlile was such an honor and a blessing.

“Yes.”

•|•|•|•


The next summer was their big day. Of Mice and Men had canceled a tour due to this memorable day. Today was Austin and Matty’s wedding day.

Currently, Austin was standing in the hotel room by the beach, taking deep breaths like that night when he proposed to Matty. Expect this was different, he was getting married. Sure, he’s been married before, but he was marrying someone different, someone better, and someone who actually loves him.

“Son, you look handsome,” Austin’s father, Robert said, entering the room. “The ceremony is going to start in ten more minutes.”

“Yeah, I know, dad. I’m just really nervous and I don’t wanna screw anything up,” Austin said, turning to look at him.

Robert was fixing the red velvet tie his son was wearing, sighing a little. “You’re not going to screw anything up, Austin. Everything is going to turn out fine, I know it. Now let’s get going before it starts.”

-|-|-|-


Matty was in his hotel room, checking himself out in the mirror. Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low, who he began to become really good friends with, was sitting on his bed, watching his friend now pacing back and forth in the room. He was fiddling around with the tie he was wearing, getting frustrated. He was mentally yelling at himself, saying that this was why he doesn’t wear ties.

“Here, let me help you,” Alex said, getting up and stopping Matty by placing his hands on his shoulders.

“I’m sorry, I’m just so damn nervous.”

Alex only laughed a little, smiling at his friend. “Hey, when I was getting married with Jack, I was nervous too. It’s normal, Matty. But I promise that everything’s gonna go well. Just take a breath and let the rest come easy.”

“Really? You used your own lyrics on me,” Matty said, playfully rolling his eyes at him and laughing. Alex was probably lucky that Matty loves “Dear Maria, Count Me In.”

“Yes! But really, just take a moment to relax then you’re all good.”

“Thanks, Lex.”

“You’re welcome Mr. Future Matthew Carlile.”

-|-|-|-


‘Breathe, Austin. Everything is going to go smoothly. Soon Matty and I will be married. Remember, forever and always.’

“You got this, Austin,” Alan said reassuringly.

“Yeah, I can do this. I can do this,” Austin repeatedly said to himself. “Is it time to start?”

“Now it is,” Phil said.

-|-|-|-


“Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Matthew Alexander Moore and Austin Robert Carlile in matrimony, which is commended to be honorable among all men; and therefore – is not by any – to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly – but reverently, discreetly, advisedly and solemnly. Into this holy estate these two persons present now come to be joined. If anyone can show just cause why they may not be joined together – let them speak now or forever hold their peace,” the minister began talking.

The wedding was taking place at a beach near the hotel they were staying at. It was a warm day and the sun was out, hardly any clouds in sight. The scenery was beautiful with its clean sandy ground and the clear salt water was hardly crashing down the sand, but just sat there.

“Now, Matthew, repeat after me,” the minister said, looking at him. “I, Matthew Alexander Moore, take you, Austin Robert Carlile, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow.”

Matty repeated the minister, his chocolate brown eyes never leaving Austin's.

“And Austin, repeat after me. I, Austin Robert Carlile, take you, Matthew Alexander Moore, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow.”

Austin repeated the vow, Matty lovingly smiling at him the whole way through.

“Who has the rings?” The minister asked, looking around at the guests.

“I do,” Tino said, taking the box out of his pocket and handing them to Matty.

“Matthew, repeat after me. I, Matthew Alexander Moore, give you Austin Robert Carlile this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you."

“And Austin, repeat after me. I, Austin Robert Carlile, give you Matthew Alexander Moore this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you."

One the ring exchanging was finished; Austin's heart began to race. This was it, the last part before he and Matty would officially be married.

"By the power vested in me by the State of California, I now pronounce you husband and husband,” the minister finally said, smiling softly at the pair. He could tell they were deeply in love with each other, “You may now kiss each other.”

Austin didn't need to be told twice; he pulled Matty to him and connected their lips together in a loving, yet passionate kiss. Cheers erupted around them, and they pulled away grinning at each other.

“Together,” Matty said, whispering against Austin’s lips.

“Forever and always,” he finished, kissing him again.

•|•|•|•


A year later, the happily married couple was watching Star Wars in their living room, holding their hands and fingers entwined. Austin brought their hands to his lips, kissing Matty’s ring finger. As they continued to watch the movie, the phone was ringing.

“I’ll go answer it, okay?” Austin said, getting up.

“Okay, do you want me to pause it?” Matty asked.

“No, just watch it while I go answer the phone.” Matty nodded, his eyes glued back to the television he and Austin had recently bought. “Hello?”

“Is this Austin Carlile?" asked an unfamiliar voice.

“Uh, yes, who is this speaking?”

“Hello, my name is Dr. Isaac Fisher. I am calling regards to Dr. William Vincent. Does the name sound familiar to you by any chance?”

“Yeah, what about him? Did something happen?”

“I was told to inform you that Dr. Vincent had recently passed away just last week.”

“H-he’s dead?” Austin asked his voice cracking. Matty had now paused the movie, looking at his husband with concern.

“Yes, I’m afraid so. He died of a heart attack last Wednesday around the afternoon. Putting that tragedy aside, he was to perform a heart surgery that was to be scheduled,” Dr. Fisher started off. Austin could hear movements in the background. “Two or three years ago, is that correct? Well, since he’s no longer here to do it, I must be able to do it.”

“I-I can’t do it. I change my mind.”

“I’m sorry to say that you can’t go back on your decision, Mr. Carlile. We must schedule an appointment for the surgery.”

Austin went to his and Matty’s room, closing and locking the door behind him. He sat down on the edge of his bed, looking away from the door. “Look, I hope I’m not coming off as rude, but I don’t want to do this procedure anymore. I’ve changed my mind, I hope you understand. Something has changed in my life and I don’t want this surgery to be in the way of that.”

“And what had occurred Mr. Carlile? What happened that supposedly changed your mind, not like it's important.”

“I married my heart donor,” he said, ignoring the annoying attitude in the doctor’s voice.

“Well there’s nothing I can do, Mr. Carlile. Now I’ll ask again, are you going to do this procedure?”

“I-I…” Austin said, unlocking and opening the door. He saw his husband on the couch, asleep with him cuddled up to the pillow the tattooed man had brought from their bedroom. “I don’t know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, I was so excited to write this that I wrote too much. But, yeah, this is for a contest that I had decided to enter. The only reason why it's long is because it can only have two chapters unfortunately. :c Please let me know what you think so far. c:

Title: The Curtain Close-Automatic Loveletter