‹ Prequel: My W Unit
Status: NaNoWriMo story, be patient for updates I'm wicked busy this month

Helping Terra

Tension Escalates Between Them

"He’s a talkative one.” Lowell observed as he watched Sin’s retreating form.
“He can be.” Tearnyn shrugged. “So what happens now?” Changing the topic away from Sin.
“We head to the table to sit and feast. Shall we?” He smiled and offered his elbow. Tearnyn raised a brow but took it anyway. As they walked, Lowell asked, “Do you see the Silver Back Pack often?”
“When I have time.”
“What do you talk to them about or do you not?”
“I talk to them about anything and everything.”
“When she says everything, she literally means everything.” Morgana shook her head. “We sometimes fear letting her out on her own.” She laughed when Tearnyn glared at her.
“Is that so?” Lowell looked intrigued.
“Yes, but we shall talk about that later. Have a nice meal, Lowell.” She smiled and towed her two pack mates away. They sat at a different table than most, but were still close enough to see and hear Alpha Roik speak. With the three visiting Alpha’s on either side of her, she smiled and greeted everyone. She foretold of how the three territories first started the tradition of meeting on Winter Solicit. It began four generations ago when the three Alphas finally came to a truce and a peace fell over the territories. To celebrate the newfound peace, Alpha Roik (Sierra’s ancestor) invited his new allies to their celebration on this sacred day. Though a little hesitant, the Alphas came and a new tradition was made.
Each year the location switches between the Green Willow Village and Winter Birch since the Silver Back Pack tends to be in small numbers and do not make a banquet. But none of the other packs seem to mind and love throwing the party.
Soon after Alpha Roik’s speech, the feast began and once again the village was filled with laughter and talking. Yurik and Morgana animatedly talked to the people around them, while Tearnyn sat back a moment and smiled. She took in everything around and could not help but feel content and happy. Her friends and pack mates were the happiest they had been since visiting Winter Birch and they could for that night not think about going home. Her eyes scanned the tables and she found Lowell looking at her. She smiled and nodded while he raised his glass at her with a coy smile. Soon after, Yurik nudged her and brought her attention back at her table.
The feast was a three course meal that filled everyone to almost exploding. They sat for another hour and talked before the tables were cleared and the festivities began up once again. A large bond fire was lit and traditional dancing began around it. Tearnyn watched in awe at the graceful movements the men and women exhibited.
“Do you know how to dance, Tearnyn?” Lowell asked as he stepped up next to Sin whom stood beside Tearnyn. Sin instantly looked down and his heart beat increased at the other wolf’s proximity.
“A little, but nothing like this.” Her eyes never strayed from the werewolves around the fire.
“How about you, Caretaker Sin?” His voice was light, but his eyes were narrowed like a predator.
Although Sin could not see it, he felt Lowell’s harsh eyes on him. “No.”
This caught the W Unit’s attention and they turned to look at him. Morgana asked, “You don’t dance?”
“I live with pack. When da-would… we dance?”
“They don’t court each other?”
“Alphas mate, no others.”
“Really?” Sin nodded as he continued to look down.
“That’s a shame. Would you care to dance Tearnyn?” Lowell stuck his hand out for Tearnyn to take. Sin froze as it crossed him.
“You shouldn’t cross over someone like that, it’s rude.” She scolded lightly, noticing how uncomfortable Sin was. “But sure, I’d like too.” She stepped over to Lowell before taking his hand. He kissed her hand and led her to the fire.
“I don’t think we were ever really introduced. I am Scout Morgana Terran.” Morgana smiled.
“And I am Scout Yurik Canton.” Yurik nodded.
Sin nodded back and replied, “I am Caretaker Sin. Tearnyn spoke often you two.”
“You too. You don’t seem to like Theta Lowell much.” Morgana crossed her arms as she watched him.
“I do not like most.”
“You like Tearnyn.”
“She different. Less aggressive.”
“Unless trying to save a pup?” Sin nodded. “Yurik can you get me a drink?”
“Why can’t you get it?” Yurik asked as he turned to go.
“Because you’re a gent!” She called with a laugh before turning back to Sin. “You like Tear.”
Sin’s face scrunched up as he replied, “We talked about that.”
Morgana cocked her head in confusion. It took her a moment to realize that he did not seem to know what was obvious. “Just making sure.”
“You are worried.”
“I am. She’s all I’ve got besides Yurik. However, I may be more worried about you hanging out with her.”
“Why?”
“She’s told me some of your conversations and they make me cringe.”
“She has no…filter?”
“No she doesn’t. Do you mind that she comes into your territory?”
Sin cocked his head to think for a moment. Although she said things without always thinking and talks about packs like clothes, he did not seem to mind. “No. Alphas fine, I fine.”
“I’m glad, she enjoys visiting. I know when we first arrived it gave her something to do. Yurik and I were busy working on our individual projects and she couldn’t really help. I feel like a bad friend actually. I was so focused on fixing the shuttle I didn’t even think about her or what she was doing to keep herself occupied. She was always smiling when Yurik and I returned to the inn that I found no reason too. Then she disappeared and Yurik and I went crazy. She was only gone for a few days but…” Morgana trailed off. She felt herself shaking and tears prickling her eyes.
“She… does not look to… mind.” Sin tried. He did not know how to comfort a person. If Morgana was a wolf and a pack mate he would have nuzzled to physically comfort her. However, seeing as she was both a person and not part of his pack he tried the verbal approach. “She talk about you work and Scout Yurik’s. She is… proud what you do. When drugged, Tearnyn worry about you.”
“Really?” Sin again nodded. “That girl… Is she the only one you talk with?”
“And Elder Elrry.”
“Here’s you drink.” Yurik walked up and handed a warm cup of cider to Morgana.
“Thank you. I met him once, he seemed nice.” She addressed the latter to Sin.
“Is. Friend to pack.” Sin replied and then turned his head as Tearnyn and Lowell returned.
“You Miss Tearnyn, are a beautiful dancer.” Lowell smiled, eyes quickly snapping to Sin before returning to Tearnyn. Keeping hold of her hand until she finally pulled it out of his.
“And you are sucking up Mr. Lowell.” She stopped before her friends and flashed a smile at them. “How is everyone?”
“Fine.” They all replied.
“Great. Are you enjoying the festival as much as you can Sin?” Tearnyn could see him retreat into himself again.
“I guess.”
“Sin?” Sin turned to face Lowell who smiled with a fake kindness, “May I ask you a question?”
“If must.”
“As caretaker, what do you do? We do not tend to have that role in our society.”
“Care for pup when others hunt or fight.”
“So what do you do when the pups are older? When they no longer need your care.”
Tearnyn was impressed by Sin’s glare at Lowell as he replied, “I care for them. No matter age.”
“Do you know how to hunt? Do caretaking skills encompass hunting?” Morgana and Yurik looked stressed as they watched the encounter between the two wolves. There was almost a crackle in the air from the intensity between the two male wolves.
“I hunt like them.” Sin’s voice was low and almost a growl. “I do what pack does, I also main protector of pups. Kill anything threatening goes near them.”
Lowell hid a smirk, knowing he was getting Sin riled up. “Does it not bother you that you are left to watch after pups while the rest of the pack is hunting?”
“No. Job important.”
“How so?”
“Pups need protecting. Alphas, Scouts, Hunters care territory.”
“Can you please speak in complete sentences? It is hard for me to understand you.”
“Okay, Sin mind helping me… over here.” Tearnyn placed a firm hand on his bicep and pulled him away from the group. After walking a couple hundred feet away, she slowed down. “Mind telling me what that was about?” Her voice was not mad but rather neutral. Like normal, he did not reply and kept his eyes forward. “Alright, let’s get a drink.”
“Alphas over there.” He pointed his chin to their right.
“We’ll stay nearby.” She went to walk when he pulled away from her. He bared his teeth at her, still angry at Lowell.
“I care me can.” He glared at her, his eyes a little off as his sense of smell and hearing were being monopolized by the festival. He growled at himself and then bolted deeper into the crowd.
Tearnyn went to follow when a hand on her shoulder stopped her. “Leave him be for now, he is too overwhelmed.” Elrry’s voice flowed into her ear.
She looked up startled and then nodded, “Hello Elder Elrry.”
“Hello Miss Tearnyn. Are you enjoying the festival?” He smiled down at her.
“I was until Lowell and Sin started getting aggressive towards each other. Is he going to be okay?” Her eyes still searching for him and hearing strained to pinpoint his location.
“He will. I think he has reached his limit for today. If you give me a minute, I will send him home and you can tell me all I have missed.” He walked off in the direction Sin had fled to and returned a few minutes later. “My dear?” He offered his arm which Tearnyn took easily. “So what have I missed?”
“Eating, drinking, dancing, and craft making. The Alphas from Winter Birch and Silver Back Pack arrived half an hour to an hour before dinner and then we ate. Now we are once again partying.”
“And what happened to have young Sin snap at you. You usually can say anything to him and he does not get angry.”
“Sin and Lowell, Alpha Raid’s son, were acting kind of like… children. Lowell said something kind of rude and Sin got mad and it escalated from there. It felt like Lowell was degrading Sin’s position in the pack. I pulled them apart before anything detrimental could happen but…”
“How do you know Young Master Raid?”
“When we visited Winter Birch he was a librarian that helped me. He didn’t leave me alone after that even when I was looking at books. I became friendly with him but didn’t think I’d see him again. And then he came here and it seemed to go downhill when Sin arrived.”
“Why do you think that?”
“I’d say it’s because they’re two men but they did not react to Yurik in the same manner… I don’t know.”
“Or two males from different almost rival packs? The Silver Back Pack and the Winter Birch Pack have always had a more strained relationship than either with the Roik Pack.”
“I suppose.” Tearnyn had a feeling he was not telling her everything but before she could press further, Morgana, Yurik, and Lowell walked over to them. She was still unhappy with Lowell and began to pull away. “I think I’m going to go. It was nice seeing you Elrry.” She turned and started towards the inn.
“Why are you leaving so soon? The party is barely over.” Lowell jogged after her and placed his hand on her elbow.
“Because I am tired and unhappy with you.” She shrugged off his hand and stopped to look at him.
“What did I do?”
“You were being rude and a rassgat.” She saw his confused face and translated, “An asshole.”
“Who was I being a… rassgat to?”
“Who do you think, Lowell?” Tearnyn crossed her arms over her chest.
“Caretaker Sin?”
“Yes!”
“I was only asking him questions. I want to learn more about not only your friends but also members of other packs. I had never met a Caretaker before and I was curious to what one does. I will be Alpha one day Tearnyn, and need to understand the packs that I will one day have to interact with.”
“That’s a great idea Lowell, however the way you went about it was condescending and rude.”
“It is how I speak! Do you want me to change how I speak?” He glared.
“You have never spoken to me like you did today. You asked me questions about my life but it was in a very polite manner. Sometimes invasive but never how you spoke to Sin. On top of making Sin want to strangle you, you made Morgana and Yurik very uncomfortable. They looked like scared puppies!”
“And you?”
“What about me?”
“How did you feel?”
“Like I was in the middle of a fight. I was ready to pull you two apart.”
“I am sorry you felt that way, but I was only trying to see what Sin’s job was. What are your feelings for Sin anyway? I was not the only one ‘being rude’ yet I am the only one being yelled at.”
Tearnyn scowled, “He’s a friend.”
Sure. You probably want to mate with him!”
“Sleiktu píkuna á mömmu þinni!” She turned and disappeared into the crowd. Lowell cursed to himself knowing his jealousy and anger spoke instead of his usual calm self. He kicked the ground as he walked over to his new friends and tried to enjoy the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts on this chapter? Any team (romantic interest) out there?