‹ Prequel: My W Unit
Status: NaNoWriMo story, be patient for updates I'm wicked busy this month

Helping Terra

My Mother's Daughter

Caretaker Sin.” Sin froze and slowly turned. His head down and neck slightly exposed so he should not be taken as a threat. “May I ask why you are in my territory?” Alpha Roik knew by the way he was trying to flee her land that he was not there by choice.
Sin raised his eyes a little and was mildly surprised that there were three other werewolves with her. One was her Beta Trinity Roughback, while the other two were ones he had never smelled before. He went to speak but he caught a strange but familiar scent. He sniffed the air and looked over at the unknown wolves, “Smell strange, like Scout Tearnyn.”
Morgana and Yurik froze as Alpha Roik looked at him with wide eyes. “You know Scout Tearnyn Aldwin?”
He nodded, “She hu-was hurt. Elrry and me… carried her to clinic. She is there.” He really hated speaking. He felt slow and stupid compared to the men and woman in front of him who spoke so fluently.
“Is she okay!” Yurik asked, forgetting his place. Realizing his mistake he looked down and whispered, “Sorry.”
“It is fine. Please answer his question.” Alpha Roik smiled encouragingly.
“Bad sick. She… was drugged. It was… laced wo-with wolf’s bane.” Sin stumbled out.
“Thank you, Caretaker Sin. If you wish, you may return to your territory.” Sin nodded and quickly left. Alpha Roik looked over at the two Scouts who were visibly vibrating with worry. “Come.” She started towards the clinic, the two Scouts on her heels. Just as Sin had said, Elrry had stayed quietly by Tearnyn’s side.
“Tearnyn!” The Scouts called and ran to their sick pack mate.
“She is sedated at the moment to let her body heal, but should be fine.” The Elder smiled gently at the worried pups. Then he turned to the Alpha and smiled. “Hello Alpha Sierra.”
“Welcome Elder Elrry. How have you been since your last visit?” She bowed her head.
“Well. This year should produce a bountiful harvest.”
“I hope so.” She smiled. “We ran into Caretaker Sin as he was running back to his territory. I would have asked him, but I know how uncomfortable he is with speaking. What happened?”
Elrry shook his head with a small laugh, “You should make him speak more, his speech is hesitant again.”
“He is a Silver Back, how often does he speak?” She looked at him pointedly.
“I am aware, but he is their interpreter, he needs to be able to communicate. As much as he wishes it, he is part human and should know how to speak to a werewolf in our human form.”
“If it’s what you think.”
“If it was not for him speaking, would you have known Miss Tearnyn is here?”
“Alright, I concede. But how did Scout Tearnyn become so?”
“She was attacked a few days ago by whom I assume are those werewolves over there.” He pointed to four men down the room. “They drugged her somehow and it was laced with wolf’s bane.” The two Scouts growled and stalked over to the men. “Oh dear.” He watched them as an aura of death surrounded them.
“Scouts Morgana and Yurik Do Not harm them.” Alpha Roik commanded.
Yurik turned with amber eyes and sharp teeth. “They hurt Tearnyn!”
“I am aware, but I will punish them not you.” Yurik growled until Alpha Roik flashed silver eyes at him. Begrudgingly, Morgana and Yurik walked back to their friend and sat by her side. “Thank you. Now, please continue.”
Elrry nodded, “The Silver Back Pack saved and cared for her but she was not getting better. They were attacked today and that is how she received those claw marks.”
Alpha Roik nodded and walked over to the unconscious woman. She cocked her head when she smelt something different. She bent down and inhaled near the trunk of Tearnyn’s throat. “She smells like Caretaker Sin.”
“He carried her here, but Alpha Silver Back claimed her as an ally.” Elrry informed. The Alpha looked at him surprised. “”From what I understand, she saved one of the pups when the pack was attacked.”
“In the state she is in now?!”
“She received the claw marks when she defended the pup. Even in her weakened state she managed to incapacitate a healthy she-wolf.”
“I am impressed. Looking at her, she looks like she would easily be defeated in a fight.”
“If you’d met her family pack, you’d understand that you should never judge her by her petite stature.” Morgana commented as she held Tearnyn’s limp hand.
“Her family pack?” Alpha Roik inquired.
Morgana nodded, “We aren’t her original pack. We are her military pack as she is my military pack. When we are done with our term of service we will return to our families or join our mates, whatever is decided. Her family pack is unique because they helped toppled our former government. Not only that, but her mother is one of the best doctors in most of the galaxies and can take down a werewolf easily.”
“What is so special about her mother showing dominance to another werewolf?”
“Her mother is human. Her father Alpha Zane Aldwin and her ‘uncles’ and ‘aunts’ are werewolves, but her mother is not. Dr. Rai was the first human to be a permanent doctor to a Werewolf Unit. Tearnyn was raised to be the best. It probably didn’t help that she has three older brothers that she competed against.” Morgana chuckled at one particular memory from a few years earlier.
“Just to be forewarned, my brothers are a bit… weird.” Tearnyn warned as she and Morgana walked up to the house the Aldwin pack rarely used. Right before opening the door, Tearnyn shifted Morgana to the side.
“What do you mean by weird?” The older Scout asked right as Tearnyn opened the door. Morgana’s mouth dropped as three bodies flew at Tearnyn. The older of the three, a tall black haired man, picked her up over his shoulder.
“TEAR!” The three young men yelled happily. Before long, the twins toppled the other two until there was a pup pile in front of the door.
Morgana heard Tearnyn growl as she clawed her way out. When she was able to look at her friend, Tearnyn replied, “This weird.” Then she addressed her brother. “You three are idiots. Nice first impression.” The three brothers paused their scenting of her and looked up to see Morgana chuckling at them.
“You brought a friend home?” One of the blonde twins asked.
“Yup, now off.” She pushed them easily off her and stood next to her unit pack mate. “Morgana these are my idiot brothers Jayce, Kayden, and Lucien. You three, this is my pack and Scout mate Morgana Terran.”
“Hi.” She smiled with a wave.
The older brother was the first to stand and introduce himself. “Hi, I’m Jay. I am an ambassador and Theta in the pack. Welcome to the Aldwin household.”
“Thanks.”
“I am Kayden. I am the older twin and a doctor.”
“And I am Lucien, the youngest brother and the cooler Theta.” He winked at Morgana, eliciting a giggle from her.
“Does mum and dad know you brought someone home?” Jay asked.
“Yes, I asked a while ago.” Tearnyn replied. “Where are they?”
“In the yard. We are training while mom makes sure no one dies.” Kayden chuckled.
“Is that a possibility?” Morgana wondered aloud.
“It is when these three compete against each other.” Tearnyn pointed at her brothers.
“Hey! You are just as competitive as us.” Lucien pouted.
“Have to be. Let’s go, I want to see everyone.” Tearnyn headed through the house to drop off their few things and then out to the yard. The moment she stepped out the competition stopped and everyone shifted back to their human forms. “Hi everyone.” She smiled giddily. “This is my unit and Scout mate Morgana Terran. Morgana, this is W Unit 13: my mom Dr. Rai Aldwin, my dad Alpha Zane Aldwin, Scouts Rory and Lyla St. Michael, Beta Killian Murphy, Thetas Trina Valentine, Cedric Valentine, Rozlyn Murphy and Deklyn Ward, and a new werewolf I do not know. Hi.”
“I am Theta Trinity Clear.” She smiled shyly.
“She’s my mate.” Kayden smiled as he hugged her from behind and rubbed his cheek to her’s.
“It is good to have you back, ástin mín.” Zane hugged his daughter tightly. “I’ve missed you.”
“I’ve missed you too.” Tearnyn nuzzled her father’s neck. After a moment, she let go and moved on to her mother while Zane walked over to Morgana.
“Nice to meet you Scout Morgana, thank you for taking care of my daughter.” He smiled at the young woman.
“It’s no trouble, Tear keeps things interesting.” Morgana smiled back.
“She is her mother’s daughter.” He chuckled.
“Thank you for letting me come visit.”
“It was no trouble at all. If you would like, you can train with us. Although, it does tend to get rough.”
“So I’ve hear. I think I’ll sit back and watch. Thank you.” Zane nodded and headed back to the grass where the training was being held. Morgana watched as the pack shifted to their wolfen forms and Tearnyn strip off her uniform.
“Even as a wolf she’s the most petite of them all.” Morgana chuckled as Tearnyn snapped at her playfully.
“We still don’t know why.” Rai mused. “Zane’s side of the family are all rather tall and the shortest on my side was my mother and she was 5’8”. How she’s only 5’5” is beyond me.”
“However, she’s a force to be reckoned with.”
“Oh yes she is, especially when she’s had enough. While her brothers are built for power, she is all speed and agility. Sometimes I think she is more werecat than wolf.”
“I believe it. I find her sleeping in the strangest positions ever!” The two women laughed as they watched Tearnyn decimate Kayden during their round.

“I watched her compete with her brothers once and she beat all three. Mind you, her brothers are all taller than six feet and built like shuttle metal. She beat everyone but her family’s pack Beta Killian and her Alpha.”
“How is she only a Scout then?” Alpha Roik asked astonished.
“I don’t really know, but my theory is she doesn’t want the responsibility of an Alpha or Beta. She is quite happy being a Scout. Maybe she’ll change her mind and try for a higher position but for now she’s content in her rank.”
“I hope she never challenges me.” The Alpha mused at the prospect.
“Doubtful. Maybe she’ll take over when her father steps down.”
“Her brothers won’t challenge her?” Elrry asked.
Morgana shrugged, “Her second oldest probably won’t, but the other two may.”
“You know a lot about her.”
“You get to know your pack mates well when you have a small pack. Besides, she’s my best friend of course I know a lot. Which mean,” Morgana turned to look down at Tearnyn, “You better fucking get well or else I’m going to kill you.”
“How are you going to kill her if she does not get better?”
A mischievous smile spread across her lips. “Oh, I will find a way.”
Tearnyn was in the clinic for almost a week. Each day the wounds healed more, the wolf’s bane left her body, and she grew stronger. By the end of four days, Tearnyn was ready to get out and do something. She was bored out of her mind from sitting in the clinic all day. But when she was alone, she’d run her fingers over the soft bear fur blanket. She vaguely remembered smells from when she was delirious but she could picture nothing. She also remembered talking to someone and a wet rough tongue marking her as an ally, but no faces came to mind.
When she was finally released she was tempted to kiss the ground. She never did but she was close to it. If Tearnyn thought being in the clinic was bad, she never took into account how Morgana and Yurik would react once she was out. She was okay with it for a little while, but having more than a day of two people coddling her, Tearnyn was ready to murder someone. On the third day of her release, she tossed Morgana and Yurik out. They pouted at her, but she shut the door in their faces and passed out for a few more hours of sleep. It was another two days before she was able to return the borrowed blanket.
Tearnyn had just finished lunch when she decided it was time to officially meet her saviors. She folded the blanket over her arm and headed out into the forest. The Scout with her looked hesitant as she straddled the territory line. The Scout opened her mouth but said nothing as Tearnyn looked back at her with a grin. Tearnyn stepped over the invisible line and tilted her head back. She let out a permission howl and only waited a second for it to be answered.
“Miss Tearnyn.” The Scout looked at her, unsure of what to do.
“I’ll be fine. I’ll be back eventually, just visiting the Silver Back Pack.” Tearnyn winked and stepped deeper into the forest. The Scout called to her, but she never answered. Two minutes into walking a grey wolf with ocean blue eyes sat in her path waiting. “Hello, I feel we have met before.” The wolf yipped, turned, and trotted off. Tearnyn quickly followed and within a few minutes they arrived in a clearing. There were six wolves and one human mulling about the clearing. They all froze when the grey wolf and Tearnyn stepped into the Den area. The largest two wolves walked proudly over and stared at the young woman. She knelt and exposed part of her neck in submission. The female Alpha stepped forward, sniffed her, and then stepped back to sit before her.
“Thank you for saving me. Elder Elrry informed me that your pack saved me and I am grateful. I am sorry, but I do not remember much.” Tearnyn bowed her head in thanks. The two wolves sniffed her again and rumbled back satisfied. She cocked her head at the wolves.
“Alphas happy you well.” Tearnyn looked up to see the human walking towards her as another wolf took his place among the pups. He knelt down behind his Alphas as he spoke. “We were… unsure you make it.”
Tearnyn made a face, trying to place him and the wolves but came up with nothing. She scented the air, having smells ingrained in her mind rather than images. “You, carried me?” The young man nodded. “Thank you. I came to return your blanket and to properly thank you for everything you have done for me.” She placed the blanket between them. The male Alpha scented the bear skin before looking to his subordinate.
The human carefully took the blanket and placed it beside him. “Thank you… for return it. Alphas Silver Back and Swift Strike thank you for… saving pup.”
Tearnyn looked at him confused, “I what?”
The wolves turned their head as Sin tried to explain, “You save Soft Whimper when here from… bad she wolf.”
“I vaguely,” She looked down as she thought. “I vaguely remember that.”
“You not remember?”
“Not really.” She touched her head, “I remember walking away from a party and things going fuzzy. Men were after and I was scared. After that it’s bits and pieces. I remember smells mostly.”
Sin nodded, “You saved pup while here.”
“Thank you for telling me.”
“Alpha Swift Strike want know if you want hunt. With them.” He clarified after a moment.
Tearnyn smiled and bowed her head, “Another time, but I am still recovering from what happened. Today is my first day really walking around and going somewhere, I’m a little tired.” The two Alphas rumbled and made noise before rubbing up against Tearnyn and running off into the forest. “You aren’t going?”
Sin shook his head, “No, I Care-am Caretaker.” He stood up and waited for Tearnyn before walking over to the pups. The runt ran up to Tearnyn and happily jumped and licked her.
Tearnyn laughed at the pup’s show of affection, “Is he the one I saved?”
“Yes.”
She stroked Soft Whimper’s ear a moment before she asked with some embarrassment, “I feel I should know this but… What is everyone’s name? I don’t recall and it’s bothering me.”
Sin looked at her and replied, “I am Caretaker Sin. Three pups Soft Whimper, Whisper and Watcher. Alphas Silver Back and Swift Strike. Hunters are Sprinter, Leaf Blend, and Rumble. Scouts Lock Jaw and Sneak. That Silver Back Pack.”
“Thank you and nice to meet you Caretaker Sin. I am Scout Tearnyn Aldwin.”
Sin grinned, “I know.”
“Oh… right.” Tearnyn looked down frustrated.
“You… mad?” He looked at her unsure.
Tearnyn shook her head, “No, frustrated. I don’t like that I can’t remember. It’s pirrandi!” Sin gave a funny face of confusion. “Sorry, it’s… annoying.” Sin nodded his head and focused on the pups to make sure they were fine. The two sat quietly as the pups romped around happily and playfully battling each other for entertainment. Tearnyn could not help but observe Sin for what felt like the first time.
“What?” Sin finally asked, uncomfortable with her staring so intently at him.
“You are unique, I’ve never seen someone like you before.” She replied. “Sorry for making you uncomfortable.”
“What so… unique about me?” He had felt others stare at him before but no one has ever called him unique. He was not sure he liked that.
“Your hair to start with. It’s the whitest I have ever seen hair not on an older person. Has it always been so?”
“As far as I know.”
Tearnyn sensed that he was not comfortable with her talking about him and asked, “Are you okay with me analyzing you? I don’t have to.” He did not reply, instead stroked one of the pup’s back. “I have one question for you though if you don’t mind me asking.”
“You ask anyways.” Sin shrugged.
“Oi, I wouldn’t if it would make you mjög óþægilegt. Um, very uncomfortable.”
He rolled his eyes and said. “Ask.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tearnyn's tough =) I really like the Silver Back Pack ^_^