Sequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: This story is complete but being revised. Part four is in progress ♥

Just for a Moment

A Ring and Skates

I kept reading the letter over and over, thinking I was free from the harassment. Boy was I wrong.

Dear Ally,

I’m sorry to hear about you little failed cry for help, too bad it didn't work. Whatever, now that you’re staying for sure, you still have a surprise to expect.

XX

Can’t I catch a break? Jeez this kid just loves to torture me. Whatever. I think I can handle it this time around. Lizzy, although a bit distant, is here for me. Jack too, along with Vic and a very paranoid Naomi. I’m just happy that I have my friends to depend on.

I fold the letter and slide it back into my pocket. It’s laughable; walking around with this letter in my pocket as if it were a keepsake or something. It’s been a long day at work so far and I just thought I could focus on something else with Rick. He hasn't really been talking to me since I started work again. He just asks me to run errands or do inventory. At this point, I don’t really think that I can mend our friendship. Reading the letter over and over isn't a good idea, but it helps distract me from the glares that he sends my way. Come to think of it, they aren't really glares, more like looks of disappointment. I felt bad; if someone that I really liked did to me what I did to Rick, I’d probably hate them. Maybe I did overreact, but Jack and I were already in a tight place. I had thought that with that kiss, Rick had ruined whatever was holding Jack and I together. Then when I found out that it wasn't the kiss with Rick that Jack was upset about, I really regretted slapping him. Poor Rick. Now, I just kind of avoid him; I can’t handle the defeat in his eyes. I just wish that he never told me that he likes me.

I was in the middle of a mental rant when I hear my name being called from the front. Rick had asked me politely to do some inventory because big boss man said that he had miscounted the boxes of tea. I finished about a half hour ago, so you could say that I was kind of taking advantage of this time. I run out to the cash registers and find Rick talking casually to Jack. I freeze midway and hope not to be seen. I start to walk backward into the back room slowly, but Jack spots me. I wave causally and huff some hair out of my face.

“Hey babe, come over here.”

He smiles at me as I approach the counter then gives me a kiss. Yes a kiss. Right there in front of Rick who was only about two feet away from me. We break apart then he pulls out his wallet to purchase a smoothie that he had already ordered from Rick. I was expecting some blow up. For Rick to yell at him or punch him in the face for the display of affection when it was clear that he still had feelings for me, but he kept his cool. He poured Jack’s smoothie into a large cup and handed it to him while I took the money.

“I was talking to your bud Rick here,” Jack said before taking a sip.

I wouldn't exactly say that he was my bud. Jack made an exaggerated satisfied face at the taste of the smoothie and gave Rick a thumbs up. I can’t believe how normal he’s acting about this. Was I the only one who felt awkward here? I nervously pulled at my collar and sat at my post.

“What’d you order?” I ask as Rick sits back down from cleaning the blender.

“I believe that this is called a Razzmatazz,” he said examining the cup as if the name was on it, “I just got it because I thought the name was funny, Razzmatazz.

He chuckles to himself as I look at him cautiously. He seemed awfully giddy. I guess that’s a good thing. He takes a step to the side as waves of new customers come into the store demanding super awesome smoothie products. Since it was around the end of the work day for most students, they usually piled here for a nice treat before heading out of the mall, especially the freshmen. Rick and I quickly cooperated to fit the desires of our customers who seemed to be awfully hungry today. After I cashed in the last customer, Jack re-assumed his position in front of my cash register. Rick looked a little bothered by him.

“It’s cool to have you around and stuff, but you shouldn't loiter around the counter, you know, because of the rush of customers.”

I’m glad that Jack is the cool, calm and collected type, for the most part. If not, he probably would've taken Rick’s statement the wrong way. I know if he said it to me I would've took it for sarcasm or something. Jack nods and puts his free hand up in defense.

“My apologies, I just wanted to ask Ally something.”

“You couldn't just text her?” I could detect the edge in Rick’s voice. Oh boy.

I clear my throat to direct their attention towards me for a second.

“Um, I think that my shift is actually over in a few minutes. So Jack, if you could just find a seat to wait for me, I’ll be out in a second.” I turn to face Rick, “can I talk to you for a second?”

Jack begrudgingly walks over to a free seat by the entrance as I pull Rick to the corner by the extra set of blenders. “What was that?” I ask in a hushed tone.

“What was what? I just asked him to move aside for the convenience of the customers.”

I give him a look then he responds by rolling his eyes. Oh no he didn't. Jerk.

“Look, maybe you’re just looking too into this. Do you really think that I’m being rude to him? Honestly. Do you expect me to fight for you with your boyfriend?”

Kind of.

“Well no but-“

“Hey,” Jack called, “I don’t mean to interrupt but your shift is over, babe.”

He seems to be over playing that word today. Babe. Rick sighs deeply and moves to the side so I can pass to the back room. After changing into my regular clothes, I come out and give Rick and abrupt hug, which startled him and caused Jack to mumble under his breath.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Jerk.”

“Okay,” Rick whispers.

As we walk towards the doors, Jack looks back at Rick suspiciously. I don’t know what happened in the last half hour but it didn't make any sense.

When we leave the mall he walks me back to the dorm. We hadn't talked the whole way, just held hands and walked in silence. He stops me in front of my door, grabbing my hand and flashing me a toothy grin. I give him a side glance and slowly pull my hand away.

“Um, you’re acting weird.”

“Am I?” He takes a piece of trident gum out of his pocket the pops it into his mouth, “I’m just happy.”

“Why?” I say with a rude tone, jerking my head back.

“Because we’re going out on a date,” he says, pushing some hair behind my ear.

“Oh,” I give him a small smile.

I don’t know what’s been up with me lately, but things that should excite me don’t really have much of an effect on me anymore. For example; now. I should be delighted about going out on a date with Jack; I don’t really remember the last time we went on one. The excitement is just overlapped with remorse, as well as this constant grudge that pecks at me whenever Jack is around. He purses his lips and glances at the hallway, looking disappointed with my reaction. I grab his shoulder and shake it a bit, getting him to face me.

“Hey,” I say when he finally looks at me, “I’m happy, honestly. I’m just having a bad day.” More like week. Month. Maybe year. “Where are we going?”

He gives me a sweet smile and kisses my cheek.

“It’s a surprise; I’ll be back in about an hour to pick you up.”

I straighten up and put on my best smile, “awesome, can’t wait.”

He perks up and heads off down the hallway, leaving me to put on a false front of contentment for our date. Lately, it’s been easy as pulling on a tee-shirt.

While I was waiting for Jack to show up, I sent Lizzy another text. I've been sending Lizzy countless of texts, which she isn't replying to. It’s like she’s been avoiding me since I came out of the hospital, but I haven’t done anything wrong since then, so I have no idea what she could be ignoring me for.

I pout at the background on my phone as I hear a knocking on my door. Time to brighten up. I walk over to the door and open it to find a well-dressed Jack waiting for me. I look him up and down, finding him extremely appealing at the moment. He’s wearing a nice pair of burgundy slack jeans with a simple black button down plus charcoal gray skinny tie to match his shoes. I love skinny ties. I waggle my eyebrows at him before frowning about my under dressed outfit.

“Can you hold on for a second?”

He raises an eyebrow as I mouth a ‘thanks’ and shut the door. Okay, what do I wear, what do I wear? I need to be quick. I yank a random dress out of my closet, satisfied with my blind choice. I clumsily pull my jeans off then throw my shirt on the bed before slipping on my dark green fit flare dress. After pulling on a long black cardigan and zipping up my coat again, I grab my purse and stumble out of my room. I shut the door behind me and push some hair out of my face, leaning against the wall to keep my cool.

“Let’s go,” I wink.

He rolls his eyes mockingly and slides his arm around my waist.

“You’re such a loser,” he smirks.

Of course Jack had to blind fold me once we got to the main building. He told me that we were going off campus for our date and he was going to drive us there. The anticipation kept building as we drove; I wanted to know what we could possibly be doing that required me to have a blindfold on. I fidgeted with my fingers in my lap, constantly asking ‘are we there yet.’ After the fourth time Jack turned the radio on; a polite way to tell me to shut up.

I feel the car slow down then come to a stop. Jack gets out and shuts his door then helps me out of the car. He then leads me into a building where the air felt cool and I could hear people laughing happily. Suddenly my blindfold comes off and a skating rink is revealed.

“No way,” I shout joyfully, “I've always wanted to go roller skating!”

“I know, that’s why I brought you here,” he beams.

“Thank you!”

I grab his tie and pull him close to me, kissing him deeply. You have no idea how much I've wanted to go roller skating. There isn't a skating rink to be found anywhere around home. I've always been infatuated with the thought of going to one, due to hours of That 70’s Show. The best part about this place is that it’s set up to have that same kind of atmosphere; it’s a disco skating arena.

We eventually break apart then hang up our coats. As he gets our skates I text Vic and Naomi gloating about how awesome this date is, and it just started. Jack approaches me with the skates and helps me lace mine up, and then we hit the waxed hardwood floors. Excitement oozed out of me as I skated laps around the rink with my fingers intertwined with Jack’s. This is totally perfect.

“Ally,” he comes to a stop, making sure to stay out the way of the other skaters.

“Yes?”

He grabs both of my hands and stares intently in my eyes, making the butterflies in my stomach go berserk.

“Look, I’m not the best at giving speeches so work with me here, okay?”

“Okay,” I say suspiciously.

“Alright. We've been seeing each other for a while now, and yet I feel like we've been together for years. Through our ups and downs, I have always been grateful for you. I’m so glad that we can make it through and only stay mad at each other for such a short time. I always waited for those moments were we make up because I can't bear the moments without you. I've wanted you since the day I met you and I’m just fortunate to have you now; even though you may be a pain in the butt sometimes.” Some of the skaters around us laughed at Jack’s last line while others shouted ‘awwwwws.’ People started to stop and stare at us, a couple of onlookers taking out their phones and taking pictures. He continued, “every single ‘I love you’ that I ever said and will say, I seriously mean it. That is why I want it to be clear with this next step.” My heart started to race as he took a step back and bent down on one knee. “I completely and utterly adore you Aaliyah, so here it goes,” he pulls out a small fabric box from his pocket and opens it. He revealed a ring with a champagne colored diamond with three small white diamonds on either side of the center rock.

I gasp and cover my mouth with both hands as tears streak down my face.

“Oh my gosh,” I whisper.

He looks up at me and smiles, “will you marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
;D