You Had My Heart At Least for the Most Part

Part 12

I promised myself when I got into this lifestyle I wouldn’t be thinking about girls. My mind would be focused on one thing, and that would be music. If girls came along, that’d be great. But I am not going to try and play girls’ games. I’m not that kind of guy. And I certainly won’t let a single girl change me.

I stared at my phone as it vibrated loudly against the counter on the tour bus. A cute girl popped up on the screen along with her name below. Claire. She kept calling and I kept ignoring her. I couldn’t get side tracked. I’m on a tour bus touring the country for one reason. Not for girls.

“Are you going to get that?” Brian asked as he walked onto the bus, drink in hand.

“No.” I shrugged and stared at my phone as it stopped vibrating, letting a missed call message pop up.

“Who was it?” Brian asked peeking over.

“Claire,” I mumbled, my voice toneless.

“Why didn’t you answer? I thought you two had a thing going on,” Brian said confused.

“We did.” I shrugged again and turned my phone off then pocketed it.

“What’s going on?” Brian sat with me and sipped his beer.

“I’m not here to sleep with girls or to find my life long companion.” I laughed a little at the thought. “I’m here to be with my band and to make fans happy. What I love.”

“But the pussy’s good.” Brian nodded.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “Speak for yourself.” I got up and walked to the kitchen area to get a drink.

“Oh come on, Zach. Who was the last girl you slept with?” Brian knew who it was and he didn’t pause. “She was good and there is no denying it.”

“That’s beside the point.” I laughed and walked back over with a Corona.

“All I’m saying is, if you see a girl then be with her. It’s not what you came out here to do, but you’re twenty four years old. You need to find a girl.” He laughed and got up.

“Why am I getting this kind of advice from a guy who sleeps with anything with a vagina?” I joked looking up at him.

“I don’t want to settle down. Being in a relationship is too difficult.” He shrugged. “I like trying new things on before I buy it.” He smirked and walked to his bunk.

I laughed and shook my head then looked down at my beer bottle. Maybe Brian was right. I should let the girls come to me, and if I find one I want to be with, I could be. It’s not like I’m going to get completely involved with them. I have a career to tend to.

A few weeks passed. I got less and less calls from Claire. The last call I got from her was left on my voice mail. She asked why I haven’t called her and that she was giving up again. I shrugged and deleted the message. I didn’t care anymore. My brother was right about her. She would be too preoccupied with her future to build from mine.

I pocketed my keys and walked into the bar where my date was waiting. She called me a few days ago and we made plans to meet up. I was actually excited. I haven’t been out with her in such a long time. The last time I saw her was treacherous. Something I didn’t want to remember. Not because of her. Because someone else was there that I didn’t want to think about.

“You’re late.” She joked as I sat down at the round table.

“Sorry.” I laughed and ordered a drink. “Traffic was backed up.”

“Right.” She laughed and rolled her eyes.

Vanessa looked really pretty and I couldn’t help but let my eyes fall upon her beautiful body. We both wanted to clear the air and start over. I told her I was done with Claire. She was pretty excited about it. I didn’t know why I wanted her again all of a sudden. It wasn’t lust like it had been. I wanted to be her friend. Maybe even more one day. But for right now, we’re moving slow.

“Damn it!” She cursed as her favorite baseball teamed lost the game. “Now I owe Drew money,” she huffed and finished off her beer.

Did I mention she had my heart since she liked baseball? “How much?” I laughed and sipped my beer.

“Fifty.” She sighed. “Oh well. He still owes me for his rent.”

“How’s living in the O.C. treating ya?” I asked as I played with the coaster.

“Pretty good.” She nodded. “You should stop by and see my place.” She offered with a smile.

“That’d be fun.” I smiled. “I’m off in two weeks.” I laughed and shook my head. “We’ve got a ton of shows left and interviews.”

“You guys are at the height of your career.”

“We are.” I nodded proudly.

The night was spent talking about baseball, other sports, music, and just things we liked to do. We talked about Claire for point five seconds. She asked if I had talked to her recently and I told her the truth. I haven’t. I felt sort of bad for just leaving Claire hanging. I know she really liked me, and I really liked her. But I had to go with my gut and my gut told me Vanessa would be the girl for me. Not now, but maybe later.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this part pretty much sucked. Thoughts? Comment or I won't update. aha, you know the drill. [: