Perfectly Different

Gone

Courtney’s POV:
“Court, you’re alive! I’m so sorry.” Cameron goes to hug me and I wince. I know he’s sorry I’m hurt, but I’m in no condition to be touched.
“I’m in a lot of pain right now.” I remind him and he looks at me like I’m broken.
“Sorry, Court. What happened?” He asks me and I look at him.
“Actually, I was hoping you could tell me.” A doctor shoves him out. He looks at me, apologetically.
“Are you Courtney Fuller?” She asks.
“Yes, I am.”
“How old are you?” She asks. Isn’t this all in my file?
“I’m 19. Haven’t been for too long, my birthday’s in July.”
“Do you know where you are?” Oh, she’s testing my memory.
“San Diego, California.” She smiles.
“Well, you look horrible, but I think your memory’s in order. Do you know what happened last night?” She asks me.
“That’s actually where my mind goes blank. I have no idea.” She frowns.
“Oh, that’s not good. You do have memory loss and probably a concussion by the looks of things.” She says reading the chart.
“So what all is wrong with me?” I look at my arms and my reflection in the window. They should have cleaned me up.
“Well, we don’t know everything yet; we needed you awake. We’ll get someone to clean you now and then assess the damage. You’re going to have a black eye and broken nose, this much we know. And bruises all over your arms, but so far it doesn’t look like anything else broken.” She walks out.
“I want to see her!” Cameron yells and I smile. Nope, no laughing.
“Not until we’ve done tests.” A nurse argues and then comes in to look at me.
“Uhm, could you do some x-rays?” I ask her.
“We were already planning on it.” She cleans up my face and it burns like you wouldn’t believe. I feel like my face is on fire right now. A tear falls.
“I’m sorry it burns.” She says, but keeps going. They take me for x-rays and when I’m done, everyone is gone. I didn’t get to talk to my friends.
“Are my parents flying down?” I ask.
“They weren’t contacted, but we can have a friend call when they come back tomorrow.” The nurse smiles at me. I fall asleep around three in the morning and am up by 7. I call the nurse in.
“Do you have my results? I want to know everything that’s wrong with me.”
“We’re still waiting on a few more, but we’ll let you know when we find out.” She smiles and leaves the room.
“Wait, when do I get to eat?” I ask and she laughs.
“Food will be around in about ten minutes.” She walks out and I wait for Cameron, Melody, Zach, Jordan, and Michael to come back in.
“No, only the fiancé.” A different nurse yells. “Those are ICU rules." She says as Cameron walks in.
“My fiancé? Did you propose yesterday?” I ask him and look down for a ring. Cameron’s face registers pain.
“You really have no idea?” He asks me.
“I’m sorry. Could you describe it?”
“I didn’t propose; I lied to the nurse so I could see you.”
“Cam, I would laugh if I could.” I tell him and he kisses me.
“Just you wait, Court. And your new room will be even, I requested it for my OCD girl.”