Love Behind Lies

Chapter 11

Chapter 11

About ten minutes later we were driving into town, down the main road in Evansville. We drove for a while before we found a good parking spot. Will was picky about where he parallel parked. We all stayed in the car for a little bit, trying to figure out what we wanted to do.
“Where do you want to go?” William asked me.
“I don’t care. Whatever you guys want to do,” I replied. William and Brent hadn’t talked much on the way here. I think that William might be mad at Brent for the whole forest incident from last night.
“Well do you want to get something to eat?” Brent asked.
“Sure. I haven’t eaten yet today,” I replied.
“Where do you want to eat?” Will asked.
“I don’t know!” I was angry that they kept asking me the questions. It was silent for a little bit, but I had had enough. “Will, why don’t you go somewhere and meet up with us later?” I asked.
“No! I’m not leaving you alone with him,” he yelled back, pointing accusingly at Brent.
“So that’s what this is all about? You don’t feel that I am safe with Brent?” I asked, fuming. Brent grabbed my hand in attempt to relax me.
“Well, after you were basically kidnapped in the forest, don’t you think I have the reason to be a little bit worried about you being with him?”
“I’m still safe and I’m with you. If I were missing right now, I would understand. But, I’m not missing, am I?” William was silent. I moved on. “Okay. Let’s go get something to eat. We can just walk down the sidewalk until we find something we like. Okay?” I received two head nods and that was it. I was mad at William. There was no reason for him to talk about Brent that way, especially with Brent in the car.
I got out of the car and began to walk. Brent grabbed my hand and William followed behind us.
“Sorry,” Brent said.
“You need to stop apologizing, right now,” I said and Brent laughed a little.
“I know, but I just feel so bad for you.”
“It’s okay. Don’t feel bad. You’re just going to make me angry if you keep apologizing,” I said and he started smiling and I smiled back, trying not to laugh. “I’m serious.”
“Are you sure?” Brent asked, smirking.
“Yes, I’m sure.” I said, smiling.
“Hey, you two love birds,” William said behind us. We both turned around and slowed down. “Do you want to stop here to eat?” Brent and I looked up at the sign and then we both shrugged.
“Sure,” I said.

We walked into the small Mexican restaurant. The building is usually full of life, but that’s always at night. Since it’s pretty early in the morning, there weren’t many people eating. The main dining area of the restaurant was bright with the sun light, making the vibrant red walls stand out more than usual. At night, there are Christmas lights that line the ceiling, illuminating the eating area, so I never really see the red walls.
The waitress led the three of us further into the restaurant, to a booth in the corner of the main room. We sat down and began looking through our menus. Brent and I sat on one sat and William sat across from us.
“You guys hungry?” I asked.
“Yeah, I guess,” Brent said.
“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve eaten since last night,” William said.
“What did everyone do last night?” I asked, Will.
“We basically just sat around. Some of us started to get hungry after dinner, so Mom just made us some toast for us to munch on,” Will responded.
“Yeah, I saw the toast on the table this morning.”
“Yeah, and then Margaret went to see someone and was gone for an hour or two. Thomas and Oscar played video games until mom wanted to watch the news. I worked on homework and sat around. Nothing special. You certainly didn’t miss much.”
“Well that sounds exciting,” I replied. “What did you do after you last night?” I asked Brent.
“I went home and watched some sports and then went to bed. I was really tired and didn’t really feel like doing anything.” William laughed and I glared at him. Brent must have noticed because he squeezed my hand under the table. I looked up at him and he gave me that look saying everything was okay. Why was William so mad at Brent?
“If you keep being mean to Brent, I’m not going to tell you when I’m leaving and where I’m going,” I said to William. “This is ridiculous.”
“Fine. But it’s not gonna change the way I feel about all of this.”
“That’s fine. I could care less what you think about this. Your opinion does not impact me whatsoever.” I snapped and William was silent.
The rest of lunch went by slowly after that. There was very little talk and all you could hear was the sounds of forks clanging. When we were all finished eating, we paid and then left. William walked beside Brent and me as we walked down the sidewalk towards our parking spot. When we reached the car, everyone piled in and we drove home. As soon as the car stopped in our driveway, William was opening the door and getting out.
“Sorry about William. I’ll talk to him,” I said to Brent.
“Cat, you can’t lecture me about being sorry and then start apologizing all the time,” Brent said. We were both smiling because we both knew he was right.
“I know, you’re right. But I’m still going to talk to him.”
“Okay. Whatever you want. Hey, I found Jake by the way. I texted Sam earlier and I told him what you told me. Sam seemed amused, but he told me where Jake was and Evan went to pick Jake up. Jake is at home now, but I would listen to Sam. He might do something else if you don’t listen to him.”
“Ok, good. I will try to figure that one out.” Brent must be efficient with his phone. I hadn’t seen Brent using it all morning.
“Call me if anything happens.”
“Okay, I will, and thank you for taking me out to eat today,” I said.
“No problem. It was…interesting. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”
“Bye.” I opened the car door and got out of the car. I walked up the path to my front door and walked inside. William must have already been up in his room, because he was nowhere in sight.
“Hey, where were you?” Thomas asked. He was sitting at the kitchen table, looking at a sheet of paper.
“Out. Why?” I replied.
“Just wondering.” He didn’t even look up at me.
“Oh, okay.”
I started walking up the stairs. I stopped for a second at William’s door and then decided to keep walking down the hall to my room. I would talk to William later. I was more worried about my day at school on Monday.