Status: Active

Silent Snow

Through Raven's Eyes

I felt as the shock gripped at my bosom. It was true my sister and the Prince were indeed promised to each other. How could she allow such things occur when she knew very well that I was willing to sacrifice everything just to look upon him? Could she not tell that I wished to be his? He was the one who was to save me from forever living in the shadow of my dear, sweet, lovely, kind, gentle Queen Rose. She was born into a title that would offer her freedom that I could never dream. Power that I would never truly taste. I have given her everything that I could which is a lot to do when I too was just a young lady.

The prince had been the only thing that I dreamed to desire as my own. The one thing I did not wish to share. He was going to get me out of that dreaded castle, with all the haunting scars it holds. Rarely a sun would set without my evil aunt beating me for crimes I never committed. For wrongs that I have never done to her. She would say that I shall pay for the crimes of my mother who had stolen her love away from her. I wonder if that is truly how mother and father’s romance begun, with him being promised to her sister. Mother batted her lashes at father, thinking that he is handsome, not once wondering about her sister's emotions. I shake my head and sink onto the bed as the Prince leaves the small cottage we are calling home. The Queen must have been lying to me. Surely mother would never do such a thing, and yet, as I look at Rose’s love filled eyes my heart clenches. Perhaps Rose is more like mother then either she, or I, formerly imagined. Perhaps mother did steal father's heart from her sister's hands.

Rose turns after watching after the Prince from the window. She gives me a brilliantly triumphant smile and I feel a small bit of me swell with pride. My sister does look so genuinely happy, a look that she had not quite mastered well while stuck in that room in the castle. I did pity her so; those four walls seemed so small in the vast openness of the woods, or even just the castle garden. I suppose that that was the positive in the situation I had been in. I possessed the freedom to roam where I pleased; meanwhile dear Rose sat trapped inside, occasionally gazing at me from her tiny window in her prison. She had to watch the seasons pass without ever really experiencing them. Never being able to breathe in the scent of spring flowers as they bloom. Or experience the beauty of dancing as the trees shed their leaves in autumn. Or my favorite feeling that of the bitter cold of a snowflake on my warms cheeks. My dear sister, who never did she swim in the fountain in the center of the castle’s courtyard in the summer’s heat. Rose's heart holds no true memories; in fact, her life is just now beginning. I must allow her her happiness. I must keep the Queen, from ending her life, in any way that I can.

“See, I told you that I did not jest sister.” She placed her hands on her hips staring into my eyes from where she stood. “Erich has chosen me to wed him and rule alongside him as Queen.” She rushed to my side and grabbed my hand in hers', “think of it sister, with me as Queen I can restore father’s kingdom to its all of it's former glory. Do you not recall how Else spoke of it? How the subjects gathering to greet father and mother as the carriages carried them home from a trip away. The way she said they would throw them flowers as they shouted praises at them while they passed. Loudly wishing them long, happy, and prosperous lives." She got a far away look in her eyes before she focused again on me. "This evil Queen has our subjects tremble at her feet and starved for her own amusement. She even dared to raise her hands to harm you sister, you her who is the daughter of her sister." She squeezed my hand. "We should be cherished as family; instead you were scolded and whipped, treated worse than a dog. We were in constant fears for our lives, but I promise you sister, you no longer have to fear. We no longer have to fear. I will care for you as you have cared for me.”

Looking upon her face softened my heart towards her. She wishes to care for me, to release me from the constant fear that presses down in my chest. Can she truly promise such things when the Queen yet wields so much power? What if we both lose our lives in the process? What if we have just put her prince at risk? Will this plead for aid cost my sister everything?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long gap. I was away.

Thanks for reading ♥
-Hana