Status: in progress

From Russia with Love

He plays Hockey

I nodded as Geno pressed his forehead against mine. He kissed at my neck and his hot breath gave me chills.

“How many times have you asked me now?” I smirked. He pinched my side and
drew me closer into him.

“Why you so rude?” He asked before biting my lower lip. I shuddered.

“I’m not.” I said kissing him hard. It was quiet for a moment before I caught him looking at me as I stared at the ceiling.

“I love you. So happy you in life.”

“I’m happy I get to be a part of YOUR life babe. You make me so happy.” I kissed his cheek and could feel him smile.

“Really? I worry I gone too much. Not able take care like want to.”

“You take care of me just fine.” I mumbled into his chest before drifting off to sleep.

I wasn’t mentally prepared for Geno to leave for the next 4 days, but I had to get over it. As soon as he was out of the house I had to rush off to class. I sat through lecture for 4 hours before getting back to Geno’s place around 10:30. Natasha had put the twins to bed and was sitting on the couch watching TV.

“How class go?” she asked, looking at me as I walked through the door.

“Not bad. Just long. What are you watching?” I asked sitting next to her on the couch.

“Food network. I get new ideas for food cook husband when get home. I like new things. Risotto look good.” She said. I nodded a little sad that she was going home in a week. She was great to talk to when Geno was away and she helped me learn some basic Russian phrases.

The days passed quickly and I attempted to move some of my things slowly into his place, but it just felt weird. I wanted him to be home so I could decide with him where things should go. For a man who wasn’t home a lot he sure as hell had a lot of stuff. I finally sat on his bed and watched them play against LA around 10pm. After the win I thought it would be a good idea to let him know my parents were coming into town.

Good Job tonight. By the way, my parents are coming to visit in two days

Thanks :)))))))) I happy to meet parents. Should be fun. Can stay in guest room.

I think they want a hotel downtown.

Sure? It’s okay if stay at house.

Yeah.

Ok. Can you talk or too tired?

I can talk.

A few moments later my phone was ringing and I cuddled up to a pillow missing feeling him next to me.

“Hey handsome. So I started moving my things in but I want you to be here so we can decide where everything goes.”

“Why you no tell me parents coming to visit?” he asked harshly.

“Well hello to you too.” I rolled my eyes even though he couldn’t see it. It was so weird because he was never like this with me.

“Why you no tell Ali?” he said clearly angry.

“Um…I don’t know. It just didn’t occur to me.” I mumbled.

“And they stay at hotel? What going on?” he pushed. Geno had this uncanny ability to read me like a fucking book. This was a huge fear of mine. My parents would just have so many issues with our relationship and I knew it.

“Ali….. What you hiding? I say no secrets.” He growled.

“I’m sorry. Geno I’m not hiding anything. I just don’t think they’ll be happy we’re together.” I said feeling awful.

“Why?” he sounded so angry.

“They never like any of my boyfriends.” I tried to explain.

“I NOT just one of boyfriends.” He retorted clearly offended.

“I didn’t mean it like that babe.” I wasn’t sure how to explain to him that I didn’t think my parents wouldn’t be so happy that he wasn’t some intellectual. That he was an athlete and he’d look down on him for not having an education.

“Why not think they like? Travel too much? Not same race? What is it?!” he yelled.

“I don’t know Geno. I don’t know!” I yelled back on the verge of tears. He was silent for a moment and I could hear him exhale.

“I sorry. I sorry I yell. Is just I love and you make scared parents no like. I want parents to like. One day part of family. Why hide from me?” he said calmly.

“I don’t know Geno.” He was silent again and I was pacing his bedroom feeling anxious.

“I see soon. Bye. Love you.” He said angrier than I’d ever heard him before.

“Wait, we’re…fighting…why are you saying you love me-“

“Is fucking easy, Ali. If anything happen, not want last thing I say be mean. Bye.” He hung up before I could respond. I wanted to cry and punch something at the same time. Instead I took a deep breath and got the water running in the tub. I tried to relax as I threw in some bath salts and climbed in. This was what I was worried about, things never being easy between us. After almost an hour in the tub I toweled off and crawled in bed. As much as I hated him at the time I indulged in his scent on the pillow. Fortunately I didn’t have much to do since it was a Friday so I turned my phone off and fell asleep.

I woke up to a hand on my shoulder and I shrieked and nearly fell off the bed.

“Is me, is me!” Geno said grabbing me before I rolled completely over.

“Sorry. Flight come in early.” He said coldly. I sat up and checked the time on my phone. It was noon. I didn’t think at all that I would have slept in that late and so I mentally recoiled.

“My parents will be here in an hour. I better get them from the airport.” I said quietly. He sat on the bed and put a hand on my shoulder.

“It hurt when not think parents will like.” He said being brutally honest with me.

“I’m sorry. You’ll see when you meet them. I want them to like you, but don’t worry if they don’t.”

“You say same thing, but not tell why! What I do?”

“Geno I love you. That’s all that matters right?” He scoffed and headed downstairs. I changed quickly and met him in the kitchen making a sandwhich.

“I’ll be right back okay. I have to pick them up.” I said wrapping my arms around him. He said nothing.

“Be happy okay?” I blew a kiss at him before leaving.

“Allison! You look beautiful as ever honey.” My mom said hugging me. The scent of perfume reminded me of home. She’d been wearing Paris by Yves Saint Laurent for over 20 years.

“Thanks mom.” I smiled as I turned to my dad.

“Wow, you’re even taller than before.” My dad said giving me a hug. We had a bit of small talk as we got in my car.

“Is this the way to your house? I thought you said you lived on the south side of the city. I don’t see downtown from here.” My mom mentioned.

“Well I moved. I sort of moved in with my boyfriend.”

“Excuse me?” My father exclaimed form the back seat.

“I know. We’ve been dating for 9 months now. It’s pretty serious.” I said standing my ground.

“Well you could have at least mentioned it.” My mom said, trying to hide her anger.

“I’m mentioning it now. He’s great. He’s 26, he plays hockey, um…he’s Russian, he really loves animals—“

“He’s Russian?? Aren’t Russian men, you know, heavy drinkers?” My mom asked softly.

“Forget drinking, they’re abusive are they not? Believe women are below them.” My dad pushed.

“He’s not like that.” I said trying to focus on the road.

“Oh honey, it’s always like that in the beginning.” My mom said tapping her finger on the dash.

“Not to mention—“

“Look, YOU guys raised me. I’m no fool. When I say he’s great I mean it.” I said not wanting to deal with their shit. They both surprisingly were quiet the rest of the ride. When they got to his house they were shocked at the size.

“This is his house? What does he do?” My dad asked shutting the car door.

“He plays hockey.” I said leading them up the steps.

“For a living?” My mom asked disapprovingly.

“Yes for a living.” I said sternly as I opened the door.

“Geno!” I called out. He came bounding down the stairs with a shit eating grin on his face.

“Hello. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison. I’m Evgeni, but you can call Geno. I sorry. My English not perfect. I try and Ali teach a lot.” He looked sincere, but I could tell he was insecure about his English.

“It’s alright. When we first came here it wasn’t so bad because we learned English in school. I understand how hard it can be.” My mom said nicely. I was surprised.

“Beautiful house.” My dad said looking around the foyer.

“I sorry. Please come sit.” He led us into the living room and I was still on edge that my parents would say something rude to him.

“Come to Pittsburgh before?” he asked.

“Yeah, for her graduation from Pitt and then when we moved her in. How long have you been here?” My dad asked politely.

“Evgeni!!! Upstairs please!” Natasha called.

My parents looked between Geno and myself a few times before I realized what it must have looked like.