Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Thirty Nine

-Maggie-
I was packing my bag in the locker room, the second period already started, when that was finished, I walked into the medic room and saw Geno, he was just lying there, the trainers had taken his gear off, but he still looked in pain.

“G,” I called and he looked at me, I walked over towards him, placed my hands on his arm and looked at him, “How are you feeling?”

“It hurt,” he said and I sighed and looked at his knee that was being iced, “Mags,” I looked back at him, “I sorry for running into you.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Geno,” I said and he sighed.

“Still,” he said and I sighed and rubbed his arm, “How head?”

“Hurts,” I said sighed, “I still don’t even know what happened.”

“Prust collided knee with mine, I lose balance and collide with you,” he explained and them picked his arm up and cupped my neck, his thumb rubbing my cheek.

I looked at him sadly, understanding how everything went so wrong. I looked at his iced knee and sighed, “Jack said it looks bad G,” I said and Geno sighed and nodded his head, “What’s gunna happen?”

“They check when we go home,” he said and I nodded my head and then held his arm. Geno flinched and growled a little, “Spasm,” he said and I sighed.

I looked around the room and saw a chair, I grabbed it and pulled it over towards the bed and sat down. I kicked my feet onto an open space on the bed and leaned back, pulling my hood over my head and my sweatshirt closer to me.

I didn’t realize that I had fall asleep until I heard the medic room door open and I saw Jordan slowly closing the door, he was dressed in his suit pants and button shirt, but his sleeves rolled to his elbows. I lifted my head and looked towards Geno, he was asleep, lightly snoring, I gave a small smile because I knew he was uncomfortable.

“Did I wake you?” I heard and looked at Jordan and shook my head, but regretted it, I still have a headache, I was hoping a little nap might help that, “How do you feel?”

“Sore,” I sighed and then looked at the little TV that was muted to the game and saw that it was halfway through the second period, “What happened?” I thought, confused as to why Jordan was out of his gear and not on the ice.

“I got ejected,” he said and I looked at him waiting for him confused, “Punched Prust square in the face,” Jordan said and I snorted, “It was a dirty move to hit G like that and then smirk when he found out that he got you too.”

“You shouldn’t have gotten yourself ejected for us, Jordan, they’ll need you on the ice,” I said and Jordan sighed and nodded his head.

“It was gunna be one of us to do it, we were all angry,” he said and I looked at him sadly, sighed and then stood up and walked over towards him. I think he thought I was going to hit it, but I surprised him when I wrapped my arms around his waist and pushed myself against him. I gave a small smile when I felt his arms around me and his head on top of mine, “We all love you Mags, pretty sure we’ll kill anyone who tries to hurt you.”

“Thanks, Jordan,” I said and Jordan smiled and kissed my head, ‘…I love these guys…’

“I think Tanger was going for him, but I just got to him first,” Jordan said as I looked up at him to see that he had a bright smile on his face, “Totally worth getting ejected.”

“What if you get suspended?”

“I didn’t hit him that hard,” he said and I giggled and rolled my eyes.

-Kris-
We ended up losing to the Rangers’ in a shootout and then leaving New York right after the game, tomorrow we had a home game against the Islanders, and we knew that Maggie, Geno and Sidney weren’t going to be playing. Although, Maggie looked like she was doing better, so Doc said that she might only miss the Islanders’ game and that was it.

Maggie was curled under my arm, her head on my chest and her legs over my lap as we flew back to Pittsburgh. She was fast asleep and I looked around the plane tiredly to see that just about everyone was asleep. Maggie didn’t change back into her dress like she should have, she had her Penguins sweatpants and hoodie on, it didn’t really matter, she left to head to the bus early with Geno, so they missed the media.

When we landed in Pittsburgh, we found that it was just starting to snow. We all groaned and left the airport about an hour or so after landing, it took a while to get all of our gear and equipment from the plane to the bus that was going to take us back to the Consol.

I watched as Mike walked with Maggie over towards her new vehicle, a black Escalade, the same one we were looking at a while ago. She needed to get it after finding out that her jeep was totaled after her accident. Mike was carrying both his bag and Maggie’s, he threw them into the back and headed for the drivers’ side, I was happy that he was going to be driving.

I hurried over towards them before they left and pulled Maggie in for a kiss, she leaned her head against my chest and sighed tiredly, “I’ll come by after I let Hulk out,” I said and she nodded her head.

“You know the code, just let yourself in,” she said and I nodded my head and kissed her forehead before watching her get into the passenger seat.

I closed the door and then headed over to my car and headed home. I might have been home for about twenty minutes before grabbing my dog, deciding to bring him with me. It didn’t take me long to get to Maggie’s, I pulled into her driveway after one in the morning, punched the code to her garage and walked in when it opened. I closed the door and then walked passed her new car, through the door and into her house. I was greeted by Jazz and Bella, the sniffed me, wagged their tail a followed us into the house. Hulk automatically went into the living room while I quietly went up the stairs and towards Maggie’s room. The door was opened and I walked in to see Maggie asleep in the bed, the light from the hallway allowing me to see her small frame sleeping on her side of the bed.

I smiled and kicked off my shoes and removed my clothes, crawling into her bed in only my boxers. Maggie seemed to automatically crawl into my arms as I came up beside her. I kissed her head and fell into a comfortable sleep against her.

-Maggie-
I was up in the box with Sidney for the home game against the Islanders. I was pretty happy at how the game was going so far. We were up by two in the middle of the second period, Kennedy and Kunitz getting the two and only goals in the first period. Brent Johnson was in the net for us and was doing really well, we were hoping for a shutout.

Saying that this game was a physical one was an understatement, these boys were pounding each other. In the first period, Islander Zenon Konopka received a double minor for roughing against Mike Rupp, while Rupp only served a single minor. Penguins Eric Godard received a holding penalty against Travis Harmonic and Tyler Kennedy a holding minor against PA Parenteau.

During the second period there were no goals; however, Zenon Konopka and Mike Rupp were at it again, this time receiving a major penalty for fighting. Islanders Kyle Okposo had a minor for tripping Alex Goligoski, PA Parenteau a minor for hooking Craig Adams, Jordan Staal a minor for tripping Andrew MacDonald, and Mike Rupp, who couldn’t seem to stay out of the box, a minor for boarding Dylan Reese.

I growled in frustration in the third period when we just couldn’t stay out of the box. Sidney was sighing a lot and I knew that he was getting frustrated as well, “We need to stay on powerplays, not penalty kills,” he said and I nodded my head.

During the third period, Zenon Konopka turned away from bothering Rupp and started for Jordan, getting a minor for hooking him. Mike Rupp, again, went to the box for a tripping minor against Travis Hamonic. Everything was quiet for a little bit, Max ended up getting another goal for us, so the score was three to zero, Penguins. However, with sixteen seconds left in the game, it seemed like everyone just flipped their fight switch on. Matt Cooke and Islanders Matt Martin both received roughing minors, but then continued to fight on their way to the box and ended up getting ejected from the game. On Cooke’s way of leaving the ice, he and Zenon Konopka started to fight, and then Rick DiPietro from the Islanders came out of nowhere and tackled Cooke to the ground. Our goalie, Johnson, didn’t like the hit and left the net, yes you heard me, left the net and dropped his gloves and went after DiPietro. Sidney and I were sitting in the suite wide eyed and mouths gaped open as Johnson was ejected from the game, having Marc come and finish the final sixteen seconds of the game.

“Did they eat their fighting Wheaties this morning?” I asked Sidney and he stared at the ice and shrugged his shoulders, “Fuckin’ Johnson- What the hell?!” I laughed at the fact that our goalie fought.

“I know right!” Sidney said, a smirk on his face, but I knew he wasn’t happy about everyone loosing their cool on the ice.

After the game was over, Penguins won, Sidney and I headed down to the locker room. By the time we got there, the guys were in the showers. Sidney went to Coach’s office to talk to him about the game and I was bored waiting for the guys, so I decided to follow him.

“What did you think?” Coach asked Sidney as I walked in and leaned against the door frame.

“Definitely spent too much time in the box,” he said and Coach nodded his head, they talked about some of the hits that the Islanders gave us and some that we gave the Islanders, “It’s going to be crazy when we play them again on the seventeenth.”

“That’s an understatement,” I snorted and Coach looked at me.

“What did you think?”

“Other than too much time in the box, we still need to work on our powerplay and penalty kill lines, we’re allowing the opponent too much time in our zone, we need to work on getting it out of our zone and staying out. I mean, Boston and Chicago- Even Washington, they have pretty good powerplay and penalty kill lines,” I explained and Coach nodded his head.

“When are you back?” Coach asked and I sighed.

“Not Friday’s, Doc wants to be sure,” I answered and Coach nodded his head, Friday we were supposed to play a home game against Buffalo, “I’ll be there for Sunday though,” I informed, our Sunday game being an away game against Washington.

“We have a lot to work on,” Coach said and Sidney and I nodded our heads.

I sighed and looked into the hallway, hearing the locker room door close and saw Brent Johnson, I smirked and walked into the hallway and laughed, “And here he is ladies and gentlemen, the goalie that’s droppin’ gloves and Islanders left and right,” I teased and walked over towards him and playfully punched his hands.

“Didn’t know about my little mean streak,” he said and I snorted.

“Quiet little Johnny mean, I don’t believe it!”

“Well believe it!”