Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Sixty

-Maggie-
“Nicky!” I smiled as I saw my little brother walking out of Mike’s house, “How is it that you live in the same state as us, and I still barely see you?”

“I’m just that ninja like,” he said and we both laughed. Nick climbed into the front seat and we waited for Mike and Emma to come out, “They were making out before.”

“Lovely,” I said and he smirked, “So how was your first semester?”

“Pretty cool, met a lot of new friends,” he said and I smirked.

“Football?”

“Eh, we could use some work, we needed to win one more game to make it to the playoffs, but that didn’t happen,” he said and I nodded my head, “But oh well, track is gunna start soon.”

“You’re just one big athlete,” I said and he smirked.

“How are you?” he asked and I looked at him, “I heard Mike talking the other day, you and Letang having issues?”

“I ya- Let’s not bring that up,” I said and he looked at me and nodded his head.

“Yeah sure,” he said and then looked towards the house, “Hey uh, is it cool if I go to a party for New Years?”

“Um, talk to Mike about that, I’ll be in Chicago,” I said and he looked at me surprised.

“What? Why?”

“I’m gunna spend New Year’s with some friends,” I said and he moved in his seat, wanting me to continue on, “What?”

“What friends?”

“I made friends that live in Chicago,” I said and he smirked, “What?” I laughed and he shrugged his shoulders.

“Do I know these friends?”

“Probably not, do you know all of my friends?”

“Well,” he started to think, “I know Emma, and I’ve met your team- So yeah!” he said and I slapped his chest hard, “OW!”

“I have more friends than that, ass!” I said and he laughed.

“All right, all right, who are they?” he asked and I sighed, “You got somebody on the side?” I shot him a look and his joke ended right there, “What?” he asked and I sighed and shook my head, “Mags? What’s wrong?”

“That wasn’t funny,” I said and heard Nick move in his seat, “Where the hell are they?”

“Is that why you and Letang aren’t getting along?” Nick asked and I looked at him.

“Drop it,” I said and his eyes widened.

“Did he cheat-“

“Nicky! Please, just-just stop,” I said and Nick looked at me wide eyed, but nodded his head, “I’m not ready to talk about it.”

“All right, sorry,” he said and I nodded my head and saw the front door open and Mike and Emma walked out.

“Finally,” I muttered and then sighed.

Mike and Emma got in the back of the Escalade and I drove off heading for Mario’s estate. It didn’t take long to get there, and by the time we pulled into his driveway, there were many cars already there. I parked my car behind Pascal’s SUV and we all got out. I went to the back and grabbed the box that was wrapped for James.

We walked to the house and opened the door just in time to be greeted by Nathalie, I smiled towards her and she pulled me in for a hug, “How are you, sweetie?” she asked and I nodded my head towards her.

“I’m fine, how are you?” I smiled and she cupped my face.

“I’m fine, good to see you,” she said and I was confused on why she was being like this.

And then it hit me, ‘…She knows…’ I gave her a sad smile and she nodded her head, ‘..Yup, she knows…’

“Coats- Well you know where we put the coats- And who is this?” Nathalie asked as she saw Nick.

“This is our little brother, Nick, he’s here for school,” I introduced and she pulled him in for a hug.

“Nice to meet you,” Nick said and Nathalie smiled and nodded her head.

“Oh, presents go on the table in the living room, we’re gunna open them when everyone’s here,” she said and we nodded our heads and Mike and I headed for the living room.

I found the table and saw that there were many boxes, bags and even a trash bag, ‘…Yup, that’s from Max…’ I thought as I saw the trash bag.

I walked off towards the kitchen where I knew the booze was, when I got there I saw Max and Jordan there, they were making drinks, “All right boys, what are ya making me?”

Max smiled at me, “What does the pretty lady want?”

“Something strong to help me get through the day,” I said and Max gave me an understanding smile.

“Look Mags, what do we have here?” I heard and saw Jordan leaning over next to me but looking up, I looked up and smirked, he had mistletoe over our heads.

“You’re a dork,” I said and then leaned over and kissed his cheek, “But I still love you.”

“Aw shucks,” he said and I giggled.

“So how are things with you and Tanger?” Max asked as he handed me a drink, I took a swig of it and liked the taste, it was definitely strong.

“Good thing Nicky has his license,” I said and the guys chuckled, “Um, we’re goin’ nowhere,” I said and sighed, “He hasn’t told me-But, I’ve decided to say screw it and bring it up to him, because I’m tired of being miserable.”

“There’s the Maggie we all know and love!” Max said and I smiled, “Glad to have ya back, love.”

“Glad to be back, sort of,” I said and they looked at me, “Still not all back yet.”

“You’re more here now than you were yesterday,” Jordan said and I smiled, “Definitely more than a week ago,” he said and Max elbowed him in the gut, “Ow.”

“So I’m havin’ another New Year’s party this year,” Max said and I smiled, “Wanna be my date?”

“That’s sweet, but I’m gunna be out of town,” I said and he and Jordan looked at me confused, “I’m leaving after the game, already got Coach’s approval.”

“Where are you off to? Texas?” Jordan asked and I shook my head.

“Chicago,” I said and the guys looked surprised.

“Going to party with the hawks?” Max asked and I smiled and nodded my head.

“We’re all friends, they’re fun to be around,” I said and looked at the guys and winked, “Don’t worry, you’re still my number one party group.”

“Better be,” they said and I laughed.

“I just- I think I just need to get out of town for a little,” I said and the guys nodded their heads.

“Makes sense,” Max said and I pushed myself onto the counter beside Max and took another sip of his drink, “I don’t know the hawks like you do, I don’t hate them.”

“I know, I felt the same way before the All Star game, but when I got to know ‘em, they were pretty cool,” I said and Jordan smirked, “Pretty fun to be around too.”

“Mags,” I looked at Jordan, “If Tanger really did what he did,” he paused and looked towards Max and then back at me, “Will you leave the team?”

I gave them a smile, “Sometimes we have to be teammates with people that we don’t like it’s part of life. We’re lucky enough to not have that problem,” I said and then sighed, “If Kris really,” I nodded my head, “If it happened,” I looked at Jordan, “I’m not going to run away because he hurt me. You guys are my team, the first people to give me a shot in the NHL. I’m not going to run away because some guy broke my heart.”

“You’re very brave,” Max said and then put his drink down and hugged me, “No wonder you make friends with just about everyone.”

“I make friends easily because- I don’t know, I guess I’m just that awesome,” I said and the guys laughed. I heard a knock and turned around to see Kris in the doorway.

“Can I talk to Maggie?” he asked and Max and Jordan nodded their heads and then patted my knees and left the kitchen. I hopped down from the counter and looked at Kris, he looked nervous, “Hey,” he said and I looked at him and put my drink down.

“Hey.”

“So, we haven’t really been talking lately,” he said and I nodded my head, “Everything all right?”

“I don’t know,” I said and looked down and then looked back up towards him, “Is it?”

“Mags, I-“

“PRESENT TIME!!!”