Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Fireworks

It was memorial day weekend and Hunter, Cody, Susie and I were all hanging out. Hunter’s parents were actually home for once and were having a cookout. Hunter’s dad was at the grill cooking hamburgers and hotdogs. The four of us were sitting under the shade of the huge oak tree in Hunter’s backyard.

“I can’t believe your parents are actually here,” I commented bumping my stretched out legs into Hunter’s.

“I know.” Hunter bumped me back. “They’re leaving tomorrow to Peru.”

“Peru?” Susie said happily, “that’s so cool.”

“Yeah…” Hunter said without any enthusiasm. My hand found his and I gave his hand a squeeze.

His dad called out that the food was ready. We all got up to grab some Hunter and I lagging behind just a little.

“You okay?” I asked quietly.

Hunter nodded.

I gave him a quick kiss. It was a pretty awesome day. After eating we played some bocce ball.

“I’m going to win,” Hunter boasted. I rolled my eyes at him.

“No, I’m going to win,” I argued.

“You wish. I’m gonna win.”

“I’m totally gonna win. Not you.”

Susie and Cody must have gotten bored with us arguing because Susie shouted, “Will you guys just throw the ball already?”

“Here loser can throw the little white ball,” I said handing it to Hunter.

“Too bad I’m going to win.” Hunter threw the white ball. I grabbed one of my balls and threw it trying to get it as close to the white ball as possible. It rolled a little too far to the left.

“Ha. And you say you’re going to win.” Hunter threw his ball and it ended up touching the white ball. “Look at that skill.”

“Whatever, it was just the first one. I have three more to go and I can easily knock your ball away.”

As I said this I threw another ball and ended up knocking his ball a little farther away making my ball the closest. “See.”

“It’s not over yet.” Hunter said throwing his second ball.

Once all the balls were thrown, we looked to see who was the closest. It was hard to tell. Both of our balls were pretty close.

“Mine is totally closer,” I said looking at the two balls.

“No way . Mine is closer,” Hunter said. “Look at that!” He pointed at his ball.

“Nope mine is closer,” I argued.

“No, mine is.”

“No, mine is.”

“No, mine is.”

“No, mi-“ I was cut off my Susie.

“You two are so immature.” Cody was standing there laughing at us.

“What mine is closer,” I defended. Susie came over to inspect it.

“It looks like Jessica’s is a little bit closer. Sorry Hunter.”

“Damn,” Hunter breathed.

“Ha. I win!” I shouted at Hunter.

“Yeah yeah by less than a centimeter.”

“A whole centimeter!” I exclaimed. Hunter pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head.

“It was all luck,” he muttered.

“No, I’m just that good.” I pulled away from him.

“Uh-huh. Sure,” Hunter teased.

“You suck,” I said.

“Sure I do.” He leant down and gave me a kiss.

“You do.”

“Okay.”

As it started getting darker, the fireworks started.

The four of us were laying down in the grass looking up into the dark night sky. Cody and Susie were huddled together. I was laying on Hunter’s chest. The sky light up with flashes of light. Reds, whites, and blues. It was all so amazing to look at.

“Look at that one.” I pointed. “That one was good.”

“Just wait till the finale,” Hunter said. “That will be the best.” He was right; the finale was the best of them all. A whole bunch of explosions lighting up the sky. And then as soon as it happened it was all over with. Hunter reached up and pulled me down into a kiss. It was a pretty good day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long.