Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Chapter 3

“Who do you guys have for homeroom?" Cody asked all of us.

“I have French in room 312,” Susie said.

“I do too,” Cody said.

“I have media arts in room 168 first block.” I frowned. I didn’t take French, I took Spanish. I didn’t want to be all alone in my first class.

“What do you have Hunter?” Cody asked the question I wanted to know.

“Um..” Hunter looked at his schedule. “I have tech in room 170.”

We all compared our schedules. We only had four classes today. I had Media Arts first in the tech wing near Hunters first class while Cody and Susie were in the same French class. I had Social Studies with Hunter the next block. Then I had math with no one since I took a higher grade of math. Then I went to lunch. I had the same lunch time as Hunter and Cody. Then I went to Science but they weren’t in that class because I was taking a higher grade in science too. Hunter and Cody were in the same math class and all three of them were in the same science class today. Cody and Susie left up the stair to French while me and Hunter walked to the tech wing for our classes.

I came up to 168 and I said bye to Hunter as he kept walking to his room with a smirk on his face. What was his problem? That smirk meant he was up to no good. I shrugged it off and found an empty seat and sat down waiting for the first day of school to finally start. The announcements came on and nobody seemed to be paying attention. They were all too busy seeing who else was in the class and talking to people they knew.

I don’t have a lot of friends other than Hunter, Cody, and Susie. I stink at making friends too. A lot of people find me weird and it doesn’t help that I’m not all that great to look at. The teacher droned on about his expectations and what we would be doing this school year. The whole first day of school is always the same having the teacher explain and talk about boring things that people don’t even remember.

After sitting bored to death for what seemed like hours the bell rang and I met up with Hunter as we walked to the second floor for social studies. We sat down next to each other. Again the teacher talked about boring stuff. He talked really fast. I could barely understand a word he was saying. I always try to listen to the teacher that’s why I get good grades but it is boring. Hunter started whispering to me making fun of the teacher. We were in the back and I tried to hold my laugh in the best I could. I told Hunter to shut up but he didn’t he just kept making fun of the teacher. I didn’t want to get in trouble. So I faced the teacher and tried to ignore Hunter lightly shaking my head with a smirk on my face that matched Hunter’s.

“You know it’s funny. You so want to laugh. You are way to goody goody,” Hunter whispered to me.

I rolled my eyes and stared straight ahead the whole rest of the block. The bell rang again as I went to my math class “I’ll see you at lunch.” I said to Hunter as I walked a few doors down to my math class. I sat as far back as I could. My teacher for math was really cool. She let us goof around a lot on that first day. She briefly for the first ten minutes told us we were in the advanced math and we would be doing different things to get ready for the final. Then she let us talk as she gave us a fun worksheet to do. I felt like I was back in elementary school and I liked not having to do anything.

The bell for lunch came and I headed down to the cafeteria. I stood in line and reached into my pocket to retrieve my money. It wasn’t in there. I panicked and then I remembered Hunter’s smirk this morning. I cursed at him inside my head. Hunter, you little. I got out of line and started looking for Hunter. I found him coming through the cafeteria doors. I waited for him to get in line with Cody and I stood behind him in line.

“Hunter, give me my lunch money,” I demanded.

“I don’t have your lunch money.” He smirked. He always gave himself away.

“I know you have it don’t make me go through all of this again.”

“Dude just give it to her, what are you a bully or something stealing a little girl’s lunch money.” Cody reasoned with him.

“Fine you guys are no fun at all.” Hunter gave me the money. I counted it.

“All of the money, Hunter.” I held out my hand.

“Come on, Jessica, you only need two dollars for lunch. I only have one dollar,” Hunter pleaded.

“Fine.” I gave up. I always did things for people. I’m way too nice sometimes.

After we all bought our food we sat down at a table near the window. Cody and Hunter sat across from me. I ate my food as they talked about girls.

“Dude did you see Angela?” Hunter said to Cody almost drooling.

“She got hot over the summer,” Cody replied.

“Tell me about it.” Hunter was staring at her. I looked over at her. She had grown up over the summer but she was just a stupid bitch. There was no brain in her head and she was horrible. I finished my lunch so I got up to throw it away. The guys continued their conversation. “Dude I think I’m going to ask her out,” Hunter said.

“Who, Angela?” Cody was confused.

“Yeah who else would I be talking about?” Hunter didn’t understand Cody.

So Cody explained, “The way you and Jessica act I thought maybe you would ask her out.”

Hunter laughed, “Are you serious? Jessica.”

Cody frowned. “I don’t get what’s so funny.”

“Man, Cody, Angela is hot but Jessica’s,” he paused, “Jessica’s not. She’s great to hang out with but she is not pretty like Angela.”

“Yeah you’re right. I guess.” Cody was hesitant that’s when they noticed that Jessica had been standing there this whole time.

When I came back to the table I heard Cody and Hunter talking about Angela. Boys!

Then I heard Hunter call Angela hot and I waited as he paused and said that I was not. I mean I knew I wasn’t hot but to hear Hunter say it. I was stunned for a second and then I was hurt. Hunter and Cody finally noticed me. Hunter was oblivious to how I was taking what he just said. At least
Cody seemed to look guilty and to know that I was upset.

“Jessica, we didn’t mean it. We were just joking.” Cody was trying to make up for it.

“It’s okay. I don’t care. It’s fine.” I tried to cover up the hurt I was feeling with a small smile.

“I meant it Angela is hot.” Hunter was totally oblivious that he had hurt my feelings. “I think I’m going to ask her out.”

“So what are you waiting for go ask her out already.” Cody urged him on.

I couldn’t believe what Hunter had said. I knew I wasn’t pretty but to hear it from Hunter, it killed me inside.

Before Hunter got up to ask her out the bell rang and I flew out of there so fast. I headed to the third floor for my science class. I couldn’t pay attention to the teacher at all. I was upset and my min just kept repeating what had happened during lunch. The teacher was funny though and I cheered up a little. The last bell finally rang and I went to my locker and packed up my things. As I walked outside,
I saw Hunter talking to Angela. He was probably asking her out because she’s so hot, as Hunter had
clearly pointed out during lunch.

Susie came up behind me and saw me looking at Hunter and Angela.

“I heard what Hunter said in lunch. Don’t pay any attention to him. He’s just a stupid ass boy. All they care about are hot chicks, not great ones.” She tried to comfort me as best as she could. I managed to smile a little.

“I know. It just… I don’t know.”

Cody came and walked by saying, “Sorry Jessica. I really didn’t mean to say that in lunch. Hunter will get past this stage soon hopefully.” Then he tripped on the stairs and I couldn’t help but laugh a little. Susie went after him and asked for a ride home. I started walking home right as Hunter had finished with Angela. He caught up to me as I walked.

“So did you ask her out?” I inquired.

“Yeah.”

“And...” I prodded.

“And what?”

“Did she say yes?”

“Of course she said yes. Who would say no to me?” Hunter was being cocky.

“I’m sure there are lots of girls that would say no to you,” I mumbled.

“Why is everyone so pissed at me I didn’t do anything wrong?”

“Clueless,” I mumbled barely audible.

“What?” Hunter asked.

“Nothing, Bye.” I walked into my house and slumped on to my bed.

“Great first day of school,” I said to myself, “Real great.” Of course I was being sarcastic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any and all feedback is appreciated.