Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Sophomore Year

I couldn’t believe how fast the summer went by. There was a lot of fun moment like when all four of us went to the beach and built a huge sandcastle. The craftsmanship left a little to be desired but it was a fairly big block of sand. There was also some bad times like when Cody and Susie broke up once again during our Fourth of July picnic. Luckily they were back together in a few days time. Now it was already sophomore year of high school.

A lot has changed, my dad moved in with his girlfriend turned fiancée, Lena. The whole thing sucked. I met her kids, two boys. Tom was a year older than me and Billy was only five. I still hated the whole situation. Billy attached himself to me pretty easily. He always insisted that I play games with him whenever I was over visiting my dad. Tom mostly kept to himself he’d acknowledge my presence but he didn’t go out of his way to make conversation with me which I was just fine with.

Hunter was over at my house. My mom was out with her dumbass boyfriend, Mike. “So how’d things go at your dad’s this weekend?” Hunter asked as he took a bite from the pizza we were eating.

I shrugged. “Not bad. Billy held me captive most of the time.”

Hunter laughed. “That kid has you wrapped around his finger.”

“You try saying no to that kid. Besides it gives me something to do over there besides feel awkward and out of place, you know?”

“Yeah, thank god that little kid likes you then huh?”

“Hey,” I said acting offended. “I’m a likable person. You like me.”

“I wouldn’t say I like you…” his voice dropped lower, “maybe something more than like.” I couldn’t help the smile that came over my face. “Did you know our one year anniversary is coming up?”

“You mean the one year anniversary of Cody and Susie locking us in your room together?”

He chuckled. “Yeah. So I made plans for it.”

“What if I’m already doing something that day?” I teased.

“You’re not,” Hunter stated.

“Maybe I am.”

“You better not be do you know how long it took me to come up with this plan? It’s not easy to be
romantic you know.”

I scrunched my nose up. “It’s going to be romantic.” Hunter laughed and pulled me into a kiss.

“Yes, it is. It won’t kill you. You like me remember?”

“I don’t remember that.”

“Oh, you don’t?” he questioned with a smirk on his face. “Do you need me to remind you?”

“Yeah if you want me to go on this romantic date.” Hunter took his cue and pulled me in for a nice steamy kiss. Gently pushing me down to as he got on top of me on the couch. My arms coming to wrap around his neck bringing him closer to me as our faces were glued together tongues dancing.

After a few minutes of making out, we pulled away breathless.

“Now do you remember?” He asked smiling.

I nodded. “I see why I like you.” We both laughed.

--
The day of our anniversary came up. Hunter reassured me that I didn’t have to wear a stupid dress or anything. He told me to wear whatever I wanted to I was relieve and threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. He came to pick me up dressed as casual as I was.

“So what are we doing on this date?” I asked as we walked over to his car.

“Fun stuff.”

“Can you be any more vague?” I asked as he started the car.

“Sure, stuff.”

I laughed. “Idiot.”

“Your’re not supposed to call your boyfriend of one whole year an idiot.”

“You can if he’s an idiot.”

Hunter pouted. “You’re so mean to me.”

“I’m never mean.” Hunter continued to drive down the road. It was late around eight o’clock and the sky was dark and getting darker. He ended up pulling up into one of the local parks.

“The park?” I questioned following him out of the car.

“Mhmm.” Hunter said popping the trunk. Inside he pulled out a picnic basket.

“A picnic in the dark?” I asked skeptical.

“Isn’t that romantic?” he questioned back.

“I guess. Usually people have picnics during the day and not during the freezing weather of winter.”

“Trust me.” I followed him through the park until we came to the pool that was shut down for the winter. Hunter brought a key out of his pocket and opened up the gate. He set the picnic basket down next to the hot tub.

“And how did you arrange this?”

“I know a guy.” He opened the picnic basket and threw something at me. “Go put that on.”

I looked down and was shocked to see my bathing suit. “When did you steal this?”

He smirked at me. “I have my ways.”

“You’re breaking all the rules tonight aren’t you?” He chuckled and I went and put the suit on while he put on his swimsuit. Then we both hopped into the hot tub. It kept us warm from the cold winter night. It was nice and relaxing as we ate the sandwiches and snacks he had packed. Soon the food was gone and I was sitting on his lap my head resting in the crook of his neck as we both looked up at the night sky that was sparkling with millions of stars. It was so beautiful.

It was one of those moments that you remember forever because it was just a simple moment where you felt amazing. The moment would always be stamped into my mind because after stargazing for a while Hunter looked down at me, our eyes locked and he said, “I love you.” His mouth came down gently pressing his lips to mine and when he pulled away I softly said, “I love you too.” Then we kissed and we smiled.