Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

The Date

I woke up in the morning to Hunter screaming in my ear telling me to wake up. I moaned and sat up noticing that I had a blanket on me that Hunter must have covered me with last night. I looked at the time and noticed it was 6 o’ clock and we had school today. I woke up late because I didn’t have an alarm except for Hunter.

“Hunter, why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” I asked him sounding frantic.

“I don’t wake up any earlier than this. I didn’t have my alarm clock to phone me. You were on the couch sleeping. You’re the one that’s supposed to wake me up in the morning. I’m not supposed to wake you up.”

“I have to go home. I can’t believe I fell asleep on the couch.” I started walking to the door when Hunter called, “You don’t want breakfast over here?”

“I have to go home. My parents are probably wondering where I am.”
I walked over to my house and found that my parents had left for work my mom leaving me a note that my lunch money was on the counter. I couldn’t believe it. Did they not notice I was gone or did they just not care? I was a little shocked but I raced to my room quickly changed my clothes, brushed my hair and teeth, and put on deodorant. I grabbed my school supplies and headed outside when I remembered my lunch money on the counter and went back to get it. I stuck it in my pocket and as I started heading to school, Hunter came out and joined me.

“Were your parents wondering where you were?” Hunter asked me as we walked to school.

“No, they already went to work,” I said kind of sad that my parents didn’t seem to care. Usually they did but lately they haven’t been around that much.

“Oh,” Hunter said. We walked the rest of the way to school. When we got there Hunter saw Angela and went to go talk with her.

I said bye and headed to my homeroom class.

Media arts was boring. We clipped some pictures from magazines to represent the elements of art.
Then I went to social studies and tried to pay attention to the teacher and ignore Hunter’s constant remarks. Then I sat in math and listened to the teacher. It was okay, the math was easy and the people in the class loved to goof off and the teacher let them. Finally lunch came and I wasn’t all too thrilled about it. I had lunch with Hunter and Cody today. I got into the long lunch line and waited. I bought lunch and sat down at the table across from Hunter and Cody.

“Why aren’t you sitting over with Angela?” I asked Hunter.

“I don’t know we haven’t really gone out yet?” Hunter said.

“But you are tonight. Right?” I questioned.

“Yeah.”

I continued to eat my lunch and went up to throw it away. I came back and the guys were talking about Angela and other girls and other guy stuff that I didn’t really listen to too much. I was just happy that when I came back they weren’t talking about how ugly I was.

Then I went to science and was actually able to focus on what the teacher was talking about. After the day was over I went to my locker got my things and headed outside. Hunter was talking to
Angela and Cody and Susie were talking with each other. I went up to Cody and Susie. When I came up to them they stopped taking and said hi to me. I said hi back and looked at Hunter and Angela then looked away.

“What are you guys doing tonight?” I said.

The both looked at each other and replied at the same time. “Sorry, I’m busy.” They sounded really nervous. I shrugged it off and said bye and started to walk home. I guess I’ll be by myself tonight. Hunter was going out with Angela and Cody and Susie were “busy.”

When I got home, I went up to my room and finished my homework. I then turned on the TV and was totally bored. I looked through the guide and found nothing good on. It was on some stupid channel that I must have clicked on by mistake. I was too lazy to change the channel or find something else to do so I watched the stupid show that was on. It was about some couple.
Apparently the guy beat the girl and she just let it happen. I found this unbelievable because if I was her I would defiantly dump the guy or try to beat the crap out of him. There was no way in hell I would ever let a guy beat me.

I soon grew bored and fed up with the junk I was watching so I turned it off and went downstairs. My parent weren’t home yet. I looked in the fridge and the pantry. I didn’t see anything that looked good. So I sat down on the couch and turned the TV back on. Nothing was still on so I shut it off. I was getting really bored; I had nothing to do. I looked at the clock and wondered if Hunter left for his date with Angela yet. I decided to go check. I went next door and knocked. His parents were still gone so I let myself in. He wasn’t downstairs so I went upstairs and found him in his room putting on a shirt for his date. He noticed me as I walked in.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” He asked.

“I got bored and came to check to see if you were still here. Getting ready for your big date?”

“Yep.”

I sat on his bed as he was getting ready. “What time are you picking her up?”

“Umm...” He looked at his watch. “In about fifteen minutes.”

“Oh.” I stared at the ceiling while he checked himself in the mirror.

“How do I look?” He asked me. I got up and circled him.

“You look fine,” I said not really caring.

“Well I should probably get going to pick her up.”

“Ok bye.” We walked out the door. He went to go pick Angela up while I walked back home. I went upstairs in my room and fell asleep.

I woke up and went downstairs to get breakfast. My mom and dad were sitting in the living room. I poured myself a bowl of cocoa puffs and sat down on the couch next to my mom. Then my dad got up and my mom followed him. They got their coats and shoes on and said, “We’re going to the store. We figured you don’t want to go.”

“Yeah I don’t want to go. Bye.”

“Bye.” I heard the car start as they pulled out of the driveway to the store. I was left all alone in my house. I like being alone but sometimes it’s boring or I get really freaked out. I was starting to get both so I decided to go to Hunter’s and see what he was doing. Maybe I would ask him about his date with Angela.

His parents weren’t home so I just knocked and went inside. Hunter was still in bed so I went and poked him. Yes, I poked him. Right on his forehead.

“Wake up, Hunter,” I screamed. He just turned over.

“Come on, Hunter.” I poked the back of his head. Then I started to shake him. He just tried to slap
me away.

“Jessica, let me sleep,” he said groggily.

“Someone had a late night.” I commented. “Wake up or I’m getting a bucket of water to pour on you.”

“Okay I’m up,” he yelled. “The last time you did that my bed was wet for days.”

I laughed remembering that time and said, “Well, you should have woken up.”

“Why are you here anyways?” He questioned.

“My parents went to the store and I was bored and … a little freaked out,” I whispered the last part.

“Do you want breakfast?”

“No, I already ate.” Hunter got out of bed and started heading downstairs, I followed.

“Well I’m hungry and I’m going to have breakfast. Why don’t you make me some?” Hunter said smirking.

“Don’t you remember what happened last time you forced me to make breakfast?” I said.

“Yeah bad idea you almost burned the house down.” Hunter laughed.

“I did not the toast just got burnt,” I argued. Hunter shook his head and poured himself a bowl of cereal. I spent the rest of the day at Hunter’s. Not once did we ever talk about his date with Angela which I figured was a good thing. Cody came over around lunch and I watched them play video games and sometimes I would play too.

It was getting dark out and I was getting really tired. I was sitting on Hunter’s bed while the boys sat on the floor playing some shooting/killing game. My eyes started to droop and I laid down on
Hunter’s bed. His bed is really comfortable. It’s like sleeping on a cloud with the smell of Hunter all over it. It’s warm and soft too. I could no longer stay awake and drifted to sleep.

I was awakened a few hours later by Hunter screaming at me to get up or he would get a bucket of water. As soon as I heard that I sat up. “Jessica, get out of my bed. I want to go to sleep,” Hunter said drowsily. I looked around and noticed Cody was gone and it was eleven o’ clock.

“I have to go home. I can’t believe I fell asleep here again.” I got up and quickly yelled bye as I went home.