Oh, Saint Nick

Twenty

I ignored Evelyn’s pout and unbuckled her from her car seat so she could climb out. She grumbled under her breath while she did, I tried not to smile as she crossed her arms and huffed.

“Can you hold this for me?” I offered her the stuffed elephant that I knew she was pretending she didn’t need. She grabbed it and buried her face in it instantly. I grabbed the rest of her bags before resting my hand on her head and guiding her up the driveway towards the large house in front of us. Evelyn’s grandmother Jacquie stood in the doorway waiting for us, dressed as impeccably as she had on the day of her son’s funeral.

“Evelyn.” She smiled sweetly and extended her arms to her granddaughter. Evelyn, thankfully, went willingly into her arms and endured the kisses that littered her face.

“I’ve packed everything that she needs in here. Spare clothes, her favourite toys. Even some fruit. I wasn’t sure what food you have here so I just packed her favourite. Also in the afternoon she sometimes takes a nap but if she’s not feeling tired today we have quiet time where usually I just read to her so she settles a bit.” I listed off everything I could think of in my head, hoping I didn’t leave anything out. “You have the number to the coffee shop so if anything please just call me, I don’t mind.”

“It’s fine Emmalyn, we can look after her.” Jacquie smiled at me and laid a hand on my shoulder comfortingly. I smiled back happily and accepted the comfort, we had always been on the best terms since Erin and Ethan passed away, I was glad things were finally changing at least for the sake of Evelyn.

“I’ll be back this afternoon then.” I dropped the bags and picked up Evelyn. “You be good for your grandparents and I’ll see you later.” She wrapped her tiny, chubby arms around my neck and pulled me closer before smacking a kiss on my cheek. I smiled and felt impossibly warm while kissing her back and placing her down. “Have fun.”

Glancing at my watch, I waved hurriedly and headed back to the car. By the time I was pulling out of the driveway the front door had been shut and I couldn’t see Evelyn anymore.

Sighing, I maneuvered the car through the busy streets back towards Letter E’s. It would be a quiet day with Evelyn running around interrupting as many times as she could. Despite getting annoyed or worried about her, I still enjoyed her being around.

The Shopping Centre was completely deserted as I used the back staff entrance and unlocked the shop. I needed to bake and get food ready for the day, as it was Dee’s day off and my turn to do the baking.

I pulled all the ingredients out and slowly began to work my way through everything. The smell of baking didn’t take long to waft out throughout the café. I had brownies, and assortment of cakes, muffins and cupcakes warming when Tallulah arrived, turning on the coffee machines on her way out the back.

“God these smell good.” I smiled at her and wiped my dirty hands on the apron around my waist. I allowed her to have a brownie while she chucked her bag out the back. “No Evelyn today?”

“Nah she’s at her grandparents today, they offered.” I shrugged and smacked her hand around from the rest of the baking. She glared but helped me carry it all to the display cases out front.

“Guess we will just miss the little terror today.” Tallulah said. “Are you going to be okay today, without watching over her?”

“Of course.” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“It’s okay we won’t tease you too much when you call every hour.” I poked my tongue at Tallulah when Nicky walked in the front door.

“Good morning oh cheerful ones!” She waltzed past us into the kitchen. “Where’s my Evie?” She called out not long later.

“Staying at her grandparents.” I called out in response. Nicky appeared in the doorway pouting. I laughed and rolled my eyes at them both.

“Seriously guys I think you have all grown way too attached. At least today you won’t get distracted by her.” I pointed out, making my way back into the kitchen to begin cleaning up.

“But she’s my favourite distraction.” Tallulah called out after me. I chuckled and began loading the dishwasher. It was awfully quiet with Evelyn running around chatting about nonsense. It felt strange not having to watch her every second to make sure she wasn’t about to die.

“We’re opening up.” Nicky called from the front of the shop, I yelled back in acknowledgement and prepared myself for a long day of customers and baking.

-

We were run ragged the whole day, even after we had called Logan in for extra hands. I spread my day through working the front counter and baking as much food as I could fit into the display case up front. I was pulling out my fourth batch of White Christmas when Logan stuck his head in the door.

“Someone here to see you.” He disappeared before I could question whom. I wiped my hands on the dirty apron that was wrapped around my waist and headed out to the front. The line at the counter only had a few people but nearly every table within the shop was filled with customers. It seemed that every day that got closer to Christmas we got busier. I smiled when I saw Harry standing off to the side of the counter, watching me.

“Should have known it would be you.” I teased him, walking closer to rest against the counter.

“Busy day?” He questioned. I nodded quickly.

“The busiest. I’ve baked so much food, enough to feed the whole of Holmes Chapel.” I gestured at the display case, which was almost empty again.

“I could help?” Harry offered charmingly. I smiled but shook my head.

“It’s fine, the guys have got it covered up here.” I gestured to how the three of them, Logan, Tallulah and Nicky, worked with each other flawlessly, chatting amongst themselves and holding conversation with customers flawlessly.

“I mean I could help you bake if you wanted? I wasn’t going to ask if you wanted to have lunch but since you’re so busy I could just help you out.” I hesitated on Harry’s offer. It would be a little strange to accept Harry’s help. I hadn’t known him long and he already had done way too much for me. But the help would be amazing.

“Well if you’re okay with it?” I questioned slowly. Harry nodded eagerly. I conceded and lead him into the warm kitchen.

“Sorry about the mess, I’ve been too bus to even think about cleaning up.” I told Harry, handing him a spare apron that he proceeded to tie around his waist.

“Where’s Evie?” Harry asked, his eyes searching around the kitchen like she would just randomly jump out at any moment and yell ‘surprise’.

“At her grandparents.” I told him while instructing him which ingredients to fold into the bowl

“That must help you to focus today then?”

“Funnily enough it doesn’t.” I told him, checking on the peanut butter cookies in the oven. “I still always constantly look around for her, expecting to see how about to cause trouble or trying to help us out.” Harry chuckled. “She wanted to come today but her grandparents really don’t see her often and they practically insisted.”

“Do they live around here?” Harry questioned as I showed him how to roll the balls up and stick them on the tray.

“Uh about twenty-twenty five minutes away from my place. It’s not too far.” I shrugged at him before beginning to unpack the dishwasher and re-pack it with dirty utensils.

“You’re parents or…” Harry trailed off, glancing over at me while rolling food between his hands.

“Her Dad’s parents.” I corrected him. “My parents still love at home in Australia.” Harry nodded and grabbed more mixture.

“Yeah I thought you were Australian, you’re accent isn’t very strong but every now and then you break out with it.” I laughed and remembered how Erin hated that she had lost her Australian accent completely but I still had mine.

“My father teases me about it every time I ring up.” I told Harry, finishing the dishwasher I moved over to him to help roll up more chocolate balls.

“Why did you move here?” I froze and stared down at the mixture coating my hands. “I mean if you don’t mind answering.” Harry quickly followed with. I sighed and continued to roll the chocolate together.

“I don’t know really. It was my sister’s idea Erin, Evelyn’s mother. She was actually a bitch most of the time.” I laughed at Harry’s shocked expression. “Seriously, she was extremely bossy and almost always got her way. I always said Ethan was bad for her because he gave her nearly everything she wanted. But they worked well together.” I realised I was getting of track.

“Anyway I literally had no idea what I wanted to do in life, still don’t really. So about a year ago Erin said that I should come stay with her and Ethan, experience a new culture and yada yada; maybe figure out what I wanted to do over here. I think she was hoping they would influence me and I would then study either business or law. It didn’t really work I just spent most of my time here baking with Dee.”

“Well maybe baking is what you want to do.” I shook my head at Harry and he frowned. “But you’re really good at it.” I laughed at his pout.

“Erin wanted me to join culinary school but I don’t know, I like baking and it keeps me relaxed but I don’t want a full career out of it, I don’t want it to be ruined by responsibility and deadlines.” I told him truthfully; moving to put the chocolate balls in the over and pulled out the peanut butter cookies.

“So did you figure out what you want to do with your life?” I dumped the tray of cookies on the counter and shook my head at Harry.

“Honestly, no. Instead I got stuck with this business and I focus all my time and energy on my niece. I don’t really have time to care about what I want to do.” I began placing the cookies on another plate we used for display.

“That’s not fair.” Harry reached forward to help.

“Well that’s life for us non Popstar people,” Harry grinned and bumped my hip as we fell into a companionable silence. I dropped the cookies out front and headed back into the kitchen to show Harry how I made my brownies.

“Recipe from my Mum.” I told him, pulling out the necessary ingredients from the cupboards.

“Are your parents going to come up for Christmas?” Harry asked, I frowned and shook my head.

“Nah I think it’s too hard for them to be able to leave everything at home. They live on a ranch, too many people and animals need them.” I explained to Harry. “What about you? What are you doing for Christmas?”

“All the family supposed to be coming up from like everywhere.” I grinned at Harry. “It’s going to be big but good, I haven’t seen everyone in such a long time.

“Sounds like fun.” I told him, a pang of jealousy running through my briefly. There was a time where my Christmas would be full of large groups of people, laughing and reminiscing.

“You know I used to work at a bakery.” I hummed at Harry, vaguely watching his hand turn around the bowl. “So I know how to stir without you needing to watch me.” I started out of my dazed state and blushed at Harry who grinned back.

“Oh sorry.” I backed away and grabbed another bowl. “I’ll just not be creepy from over here.” I gestured vaguely away from him making him laugh loudly and shake his curls. I smiled fondly back and continued to stir.

Harry could only stay for an hour before he had people he had to meet up with.

“Take the damn cookies Harry.” I told him sternly. “You’ve been helping out too much to get nothing for it.” He sighed before taking the contained I had been thrusting in his face for the past ten minutes.

“It’s not trouble really.” I ignored Harry and walked with him out of the kitchen. The shop was much quieter now, only a few people were either waiting for coffee or sitting down with their bags milling out around them.

“So I might see you tonight yeah?” I looked at Harry strangely who smiled innocently. “I was going to visit Dylan and Mason tonight and since I didn’t get to see Evie today I thought I might stop by tonight. To see her.” Harry was blushing darkly, his eyes springing around the room before resting on me.

“I’m sure she would like that.” I smiled at him warmly; my stomach flopped around happily.

“Master Styles. Miss Brown.” Both Harry and I glanced up to see Stalker Santa with a coffee and two chocolate chip cookies in his hand, standing right next to us. I gaped noting how he practically snuck up on the both of us without us realizing. He winked and that’s when I realised that his eyes were still unnaturally sparkly. He must still be wearing the contacts that he wore with the Santa suit. He didn’t wait for a reply before walking away back out the front door.

“He is amazingly creepy.” Harry commented as we both watched him leave.

-

“Hey sorry I’m a bit late. There was so much traffic on the way here and I got stuck like right in the middle of it.” I rambled as Jacquie opened the door and let me step inside.

“That’s fine.” She told me politely. I glanced around the foyer of the house expecting to see Evelyn come running out but she didn’t.

“Where is she?” I asked Jacquie, I was anxious to see her again make sure she was all right. I hadn’t spoken to her all day only had the short assurances from Jacquie telling me she was fine to keep me through the day.

“She’s out back with her Granddad.” Jacquie told me, pushing me gently into a living room.

“Oh that’s nice. It’s just we kind of have to go there’s heaps of things I need to do tonight and I haven’t even thought about dinner yet.” I rambled as Jacquie made me sit down. I frowned at her stern face.

“There’s something I need to talk to you about. Lewis would be here to talk to you about this but we feel it better if he distracts Evelyn while I do.”

“Okay.” I said, beginning to think something’s wrong.

“Lewis and I have been talking lately and we’ve decided that we would like to take full custody of Evelyn.” I sat there stunned, blinking slowly at Jacquie.

“I’m sorry?” I questioned, my voice extremely small.

“Lewis and I would like to take Evelyn off your hands.” She continued. “You’ve been doing an amazing job but we just think it would be better if we took care of her. I mean we have experience on looking after children. We raised Ethan just fine and plus we know the area better; the schools and the people around here know us better. We have enough money to provide for Evelyn for the rest of her life.”

“Just wait, wait. Why, I don’t understand. I. “ I stopped trying to form words and gaped at Jacquie. Where had all this come from?

“You’ve been doing a great job with her so far Emmalyn don’t get us wrong. But we just think she will be better off here. We’re much more stable and this way she’ll get two parents again.” I glared at Jacquie.

“She already had two parents.” I snapped her, how dare she think that she could replace Erin.

“Yes and they’re gone. That’s the hard truth. Now Evelyn needs two new parental figures in her life and sweetie you don’t really think you can be that to her do you?” I knew she didn’t expect an answer to her question.

“Ethan and Erin named me to look after their daughter. By law she is mine to look after. You can’t just take her away.” I hissed at Jacquie.

“We can. We’ve been talking with some people and it’s possible for Grandparents to fight the person guardianship has been given to.” I felt like I was going to throw up. There was actually a real chance here that I would lose Evelyn. “We won’t ever stop you from seeing her Emmalyn.” I shrugged Jacquie’s hand off my shoulder. “You can see her all you want but we believe it would be best for her to be here. You never wanted kids Emmalyn. You told us that, we’re just giving you an out.”

“I don’t want an out.” I told her aggressively. I grabbed Evelyn’s bags that had been piled into the corner before leaving Jacquie on the couch to find Evelyn.

“We don’t want to fight you for her Emmalyn, but we will if necessary.” She followed me calmly down the hallway as I headed towards the backdoor.

“It’s necessary.” I hissed over my shoulder bursting out the backdoor to see Lewis and Evelyn in the garden.

“Aunty Emmy!” Evelyn bounded away from Lewis and up the stairs straight into my arms. I buried myself into her, never wanting to let go.

“Come on sweetie, let’s go home.” I picked her up and moved past Jacquie back through the house.

“Emmalyn please understand.”

“No!” I spun back around and Evelyn’s hands tightened around my neck, holding on. “They chose me, okay. Erin and Ethan chose me to look after her so I don’t care what you say. I’m not giving her up, she’s all I have.” I told her meaningfully, sparing a glance at Lewis before slamming their front door behind me and marching towards the car.

“Aunty Emmy?” Evelyn questioned softly, her head buried into my neck.

“Shh, honey. Everything’s going to be all right. I promise.” I whispered to her, trying to hide my fresh tears. I couldn’t lose her. Please, God, I can’t lose her too.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here is the tears and tantrums I talked about in the warning guys ;P (not all of them though!)

xx