Status: Punch me now if you want...

Broken

I'm From Texas, Every Once in a While, You'll Get a Kick Out of Dinner

I had plugged in my phone to play some music while we worked. Sidney and I had finished one wall and had moved on to the second when he began to ask me questions.

“So, I never really asked, where are you from?”

“Um, I’m from Dallas,” I said as I focused on forcing the paint brush up and down.

“What made you decide Canada? I mean, that’s a long way from home.” I had to stop myself from being sarcastic and telling him that that was the point.

“I just needed a change, thought Canada would be great. I’ve always wanted to come here.”

“You’ve always wanted to come to Cole Harbour?”

“Nah, it just seemed like a good choice because it was small. Obviously Dallas isn’t exactly the smallest of cities.“ He nodded.

“Yeah, I love it here. It’s nice to come home during the summer.”

“You’re only here during the summer? Where do you live the rest of the year?”

“Um, I’m a hockey player. I live in Pittsburgh during the season. I’m usually not even here during the summer, but uh, there was some trouble last season and I can’t train.”

“You got hurt?”

“How’d you know?”

“I don’t know if it was the whole ‘not being able to train and I play hockey’ bit, or maybe it was the sad look that came across your face when you said you couldn’t train this summer. Guess something just gave it away.”

“No need to be sassy about it, brat. Maybe I should ask why you look so sad about Dallas? Because I know it’s not just because you left.”

“I don’t like to talk about it.”

“Is it what gave you that shiner and a broken arm?”

“I really don’t like to talk about it. It’s not even that big of a deal.”

“If it’s not that big of a deal, then why don’t you like to talk about it,” He pushed. I turned around from the wall I was painting, and hit him in the face with the paint covered bristles.

“I said, I don’t want to talk about it. Maybe, if our friendship continues, you will find out, but right now, I do not want to talk about it.” He put his hands up in defeat.

“Alright, I get it. You don’t want to talk about it, but was it really necessary to get paint all over my face?” I started giggling uncontrollably.

“I just couldn’t help it. It was either that, or punch you, and I figured if I wanted to keep the only friend I’d made here then I probably shouldn’t punch him.” Sidney chuckled.

“Then I guess I’m glad that you just hit me with a paint brush.”

“Yeah, I’m not exactly sure I should be hitting people with an arm in a cast.”

“Probably not the greatest idea.”

“Probably not, now let’s get this stuff done. Maybe I’ll make you some lunch?”

“Maybe? I think after all this hard work, I deserve some lunch!” I rolled my eyes, giggling once again at his dorky tone.

“Alright fine! You deserve some lunch! How about I go start lunch, while you finish that last wall?” He nodded, picking up his brush once again. I set my brush down and rushed into the kitchen to try and find something that was suitable for someone who actually ate real food. After about fifteen minutes, I had scrounged up a decent, simple meal. I had just finished plating everything up when Sidney came in the kitchen, wiping a drop of paint off his nose.

“Everything okay in here?” I nodded.

“I hope this isn’t too bad for your diet or anything. I just kind of threw stuff together.”

“What is it?”

“Um, hamburger and potatoes? I made it in olive oil so it was a little healthier.” He grinned and sat down in front of the plate with more on it.

“You don’t eat much do you?” I shook my head.

“I lost a hundred pounds, do you really think I eat much?” I watched him carefully has he took a big bite. He coughed a bit before speaking again.

“What did you put on this?”

“Just a bit of Cajun seasoning! Just the way mom made it! If it’s too spicy, some ketchup should tone it down.” I walked over to the fridge and grabbed the bottle of ketchup. I smiled while I squirted some over my own meal, then handed the bottle to Sidney.

“Is all your food this spicy?”

“Nah, just remember, I am from Texas. Every once in a while, you’ll get a kick out of dinner.” He chuckled at my pun before putting ketchup over his own hash. He mixed it around before taking another tentative bite. This time, he dug in. Apparently, it was a lot spicier than I had thought. I finished before he did, so I stood up and began washing the dishes from lunch. Once he was done, he stood up and joined me at the sink.

“How about you go look at your living room, and I, will finish up the dishes. “

It was like stepping into a whole different room. It felt bright, and happy. I grinned before rushing back into the kitchen to hug Sidney.

“It’s wonderful! Thank you so much!” He smiled.

“It’s not that big of a deal.”

“Oh, but it is. It’s just beautiful, and thank you so much for helping me!”

“It’s no problem, Darby. What room do you want to start on next? I figure there’s still some time left to work?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for chapter 3!! :D Love ya'll!

Andrea