Look for Me in Rainbows

You Don't Get It Do You? I'm Going To Die.

Patrick slept in the chairs next to Maggie that night. She told him to go and actually sleep, but he wouldn’t. They talked for most of the morning, catching up, but they were interrupted by the doctor coming in the door.

“Maggie, you test came back good. You can go home this afternoon.” He said. “But I want to make sure you don’t pass out again. Its not safe for you to be by yourself. Do you live alone?”

“Yes.”

“Do you have somewhere to stay? Someone who could stay with you?”

“I could.” Patrick said. “If thats okay with you, Maggie.” Maggie groaned. She didn’t need to be watched like a child.

“I think I can manage on my on.”

“As your doctor, I think it is best that you not be left alone.” He said. “If you’re going to be alone, I can not discharge you.” Maggie groaned.

“Fine.” She said. Patrick gave her a weak smile. She rolled her eyes. He could tell she didn't like having to be watched. She thought of it as being fussed over like a child. The doctor sighed.

“And, Maggie,” He said, “I can't clear you to play sports in your condition. I notified your coach. I’m sorry, but I don’t think you’ll play again”

“Please leave.” Maggie said. The doctor gave the discharge papers to Patrick and left the room. Angry tears streamed down her face. Maggie was furious. She grasped the bed sheets as hard as she could. She wanted to play again. She knew this day would come. She hated this more than anything. There was something she needed to tell Patrick.
............................................................................

Patrick carried Maggie’s things inside her house. He got her situated on the couch, then went back out to get his. He had a bag with a month’s worth of clothes in it. He hadn’t even unpacked his car before he had gone to see Maggie.

“So?” He asked.

“So.” Patrick sat down next to Maggie. He put his arm around her.

“How was your month?” He asked.

“I have the most points and goals of any defenseman in our league.” She answered.

“Nice.” He said. “I can’t say anything like that about my month.” He laughed.

“I’m glad that you did it.” She said.

“Me too.” She put her head down in his shoulder and took a deep breath.

“So I kinda want to tell you something.” Maggie said.

“I want to tell you something too.” Patrick said. Maggie was intrigued.

“You first.” She smiled.

“I love you.” He said. Maggie froze. She burst into tears.

“Please don’t say that.” She said. She looked up at his face. He looked really hurt.

“I”m sorry.” He said.

“You don’t get it do you?” He just looked at her. She felt the tears pouring down her face. “I’m going to die.” It hurt her more than anything to love him. She knew she did. She knew he loved her, but she knew she had to do something most girls didn’t have to think about. She knew that if he loved her, that it was going to make him hurt more than ever. She was going to have to leave him.