Look for Me in Rainbows

So How Did You Find Me? I Haven't Talked To You In Like A Month.

In one week Patrick would be back for her. Getting through the week was all Maggie could think about as she skated out onto the ice. The team was having conditioning practice and were skating sprints. Maggie and the team were on their third when she noticed she was having trouble getting enough air in her lungs. She slowed her pace a little, but she wouldn’t stop completely. On sprint four, she was dizzy. She touched the line, then stopped. Her coach looked at her and she shook her head. The coach nodded back, and Maggie left the ice. She was in the tunnel to the locker room when she got dizzer. She could barely breathe. The team’s trainer, Jimmy, came up behind her.

“Maggie are you okay?” She could barely hear him. “Maggie? Mag...” Everything went black.
.....................................................................

Maggie woke up in a hospital bed. When she saw where she was, she immediately remembered what had happened. She had passed out at practice. She noticed that there was a tube coming out of one of her nostrils. She could feel it pumping air into her lungs as she inhaled.

“You’re finally up.” Someone said. Maggie turned and looked at the chairs next to her bed.

“Mom!” Maggie said. She hadn’t seen her mom all summer. She lived across town where Maggie grew up.

“Hi, baby.” Her mother said. “How do you feel?”

“Fine.” Maggie said. “When do I get to leave?”

“I don’t know, baby.”
....................................................................

The doctors had told her that air was no longer reaching the deepest parts of her lungs, and that her nose tube, as she had deemed it, was giving her an inhaled medicine that was going to open that part up. She could leave in a week or so. She didn’t like the “or so”. She wanted to know exactly when.

Maggie’s mom went home the next night. She lived alone and had to work, otherwise she would lose her job and have no way of earning money. Maggie didn’t mind being alone though. She kept herself busy. She walked around the ward, she went on her computer, she even hung a picture of a rainbow on the wall by her bed.

She had a roommate, but she was an older woman who complained a lot. Maggie hated people who complained and made excuses. She had tried her whole life to shake the one thing that people automatically took as her excuse. She had hated it.

The days passed and Maggie was getting pretty tired of the hospital, when there was a knock on her door. “Ms. Wilson,” A nurse said, “You have a visitor.” Maggie sat up.

“A visitor?” She thought as she ran her hands down over her head to smoothe any flyaways that had come out of her braids. The door opened and Maggie’s heart fluttered. It was Patrick. He was glowing. He looked like a whole new person.

“Maggie?” He said.

“Patrick!” She said. She practically jumped out of her bed. She sat criss cross at the top and motioned for him to come over. “Close the door, pull the divider curtain, and sit down with me.” He did as she said, then sat on the end of her bed.

He didn’t like seeing her here with that thing sticking out of her face, but it was so much better that not seeing her at all. His rehab helped him get over his reliance on partying and alcohol, but it had also helped him realize how much he hated being away from Maggie. He had just met her, but she was so special to him.

“So how was it?” Maggie asked.

“Good.” He said. “I needed that.”

“I missed you.” He laughed.

“I missed you too.”

“So how did you find me? I haven’t talked to you in a month.” She asked,

“I knew you had practice, so I went to the rink to watch it.” He said. “But you weren’t on the ice, so I found your coach and asked him and he filled me in and I came over here right after.”

“Good detective work.” She smiled.

“Why thank you.” He said. He paused for a few seconds. “I really missed you.” She smiled. He was surprised, but she had been in the hospital for a week, and he thought she was absolutely glowing. “Can I kiss you?” He looked at her nose tube. She shrugged.

“I don’t see why not.” She said as she leaned into his arms.